Register free!

Old 06-16-2013, 02:06 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

We did the same thing on 2 lawns in 2 separate routes last week. If it happens to us, it happens about this time of year. The guys get familiar with their routes and then I start working in the new sales for the year that are off schedule with their neighbors(most of the time I spray the first app because I do 99% of sales/service) No numbers on mailboxes or houses, and in attention by the techs can lead to this. I have to give the "pay attention" speech and try to smooth things over with those who received the unintentional application. That usually takes care of it for us.
No malice, just an honest mistake...

"Opportunity is missed by most because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work"- Thomas Edison, businessman/inventor
Old 06-17-2013, 06:10 PM
LawnSite Member

I work for a large treatment company and stuff like this happens a lot unfortunately. When you're fertilizing and spraying 40 lawns a day you get in a hurry and make some mistakes.
Old 06-17-2013, 09:22 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

I can see how some of this happens I have never treated the wrong yard but I have gave the estament to the wrong house

Some times there are no numbers on the houses and some times they put even numbers on the right and odds on the left and throw a odd number on the right. and some times human era

Around here Truegreen runs around with pick ups and skid sprayers with marker dye. That stuff is nasty

Charles Cue
Old 06-17-2013, 09:40 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

i did a wrong house when i worked for trubrown back in 2001. like 6 mailboxes and nobody had the number on the house. I went by the sales persons bad instructions.. however, still my fault i say. haha. to make matters worse, i got the truck stuck in part of there crap lawn trying to back up to get out of the driveway. had to get my manager out there to pull me out and had to put a few new pieces of sod there.. i left a note. I lived in the area and returned many times to explain to the person what i had done. that note was on the door for about 6 months before i gave it up.. lol. obviously abandoned house even though it didn't really look that way. nobody ever called to complain on that one. mistakes happen sometimes especially when your doing 60 damn lawns a day, we used to be pushed to the limit to hit those goals, and sometimes sh!t just happens.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RigglePLC View Post
Did you ever have the problem when there were 4 mailboxes with numbers, and four houses on four long driveways with no numbers?
Old 06-18-2013, 08:27 PM
LawnSite Member

Pull up in front of the house. Check the address.
Open tailgate and take out equipment. Check the address.
Walking up driveway to backyard. Check the address.
Walking down driveway when completed. Check the address.
Write up invoice. Check the address.
Walking up driveway with invoice. Check the address.

I always preached this when I was managing a crew of trucks. It is very frustrating when it happens. However when it does happen you will always be judged on how you handle the mistake, not the mistake itself. Sometimes you can even gain a customer by mistake
Old 06-18-2013, 09:24 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by inzane View Post
i did a wrong house when i worked for trubrown back in 2001. like 6 mailboxes and nobody had the number on the house. I went by the sales persons bad instructions.. however, still my fault i say. haha. to make matters worse, i got the truck stuck in part of there crap lawn trying to back up to get out of the driveway. had to get my manager out there to pull me out and had to put a few new pieces of sod there.. i left a note. I lived in the area and returned many times to explain to the person what i had done. that note was on the door for about 6 months before i gave it up.. lol. obviously abandoned house even though it didn't really look that way. nobody ever called to complain on that one. mistakes happen sometimes especially when your doing 60 damn lawns a day, we used to be pushed to the limit to hit those goals, and sometimes sh!t just happens.
I know I've seen photos of an incident like this on this forum. Hope it wasn't you. We've all had embarrassing things happen over years of service.

I'll never forget driving past a property where a bucket truck driver forgot to lower his boom before driving away from a tree trimming job. Everything was OK except his truck was laying on it's side & he was stomping the ground,

The nation that destroys its soil destroys itself.
Franklin D. Roosevelt
Old 06-18-2013, 10:51 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Call me old school >> (been doing this since 1978). We contact the customer after a competitor treated. He reads to us what was applied. Most often -- we "lose" the income for that application. So be it. Life rolls on.

We never complain as to what company made the mistake. Cuz it's always an honest mistake.

Call me new school regarding preventing mistakes .....

1) We use GPS
2) We have hand-written directions/descriptions on each route card
3) We have a color photo of each property
4) We have an aerial photo of each property (lot lines, etc, etc.)

We ROCK!!! GO HAWKEYES!
Old 06-19-2013, 01:38 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Sorry guys this Toogreen mistake was made despite the house numbers being CLEARLY located on the front of the houses. And there are only about 6 houses in this isolated development. I could list off the number of mistakes I have made in various areas, yes, but I can't see ever applying to the wrong lawn, or being in such a hurry I forget what lawn I am spraying. If you are in that much of a hurry you have too much business to handle.
09 Exmark Turf Tracer HP 36"
21" Toro SR4 Super Recycler
Stihl KM90 Kombi w/ straight shaft trimmer & tiller heads
2 Husqvarna 125B Blowers
Turfco XT5 Aerator
Turfco LS-22 Overseeder
EcoLawn 200 Applicator

I can do all things through Him who gives me strength.
Philippians 4:13
Old 06-19-2013, 02:18 AM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DA Quality Lawn & YS View Post
Sorry guys this Toogreen mistake was made despite the house numbers being CLEARLY located on the front of the houses. And there are only about 6 houses in this isolated development. I could list off the number of mistakes I have made in various areas, yes, but I can't see ever applying to the wrong lawn, or being in such a hurry I forget what lawn I am spraying. If you are in that much of a hurry you have too much business to handle.

It only happens here 2 or 3 times a year at most. When it does, they get the "finger wag" along with a stern warning.

Things change when you go from "Sole Proprietor" to "Manager" You will see some day.

We use GPS and Google Maps as well. One of the mistakes last week was that my tech did the right house number but typed the wrong street into his GPS by mistake as he was making his way through his work for the day. Operator Error. He should have looked at the address on the invoice again... and then looked at it again before he pulled onto the wrong street.

Photos, aerial views, etc... Not necessary IMO unless you are going through techs regularly. By the 3rd time that tech has run through his route, he should be familiar with it and anything other than a SOLID address and areas to be covered should not be needed.

"Opportunity is missed by most because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work"- Thomas Edison, businessman/inventor
Old 06-19-2013, 08:59 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by americanlawn View Post
Call me old school >> (been doing this since 1978). We contact the customer after a competitor treated. He reads to us what was applied. Most often -- we "lose" the income for that application. So be it. Life rolls on.

We never complain as to what company made the mistake. Cuz it's always an honest mistake.

Call me new school regarding preventing mistakes .....

1) We use GPS
2) We have hand-written directions/descriptions on each route card
3) We have a color photo of each property
4) We have an aerial photo of each property (lot lines, etc, etc.)

We ROCK!!! GO HAWKEYES!
IMHO if you are that big that you don't know your customer's house you sure can't be giving Personal service. If you are sending John this time and Harry next time there is no way to give Proper service IMHO. Uneducated Technicians, High Over Head TV advertisement and Lowball price are straight out of the True Green sales manual and the Reason they are a failing company. Anyone who models their business after that can only offer the same crappy service IMHO. BTW If the shoe fits wear it.

"TG doesn't give a rats ass about being "Responsible" as long as sales/production quotas are met. That's it in a nutshell. A recipe for disaster IMO." Ted Putnam 2/28/14

You can lead a Donkey to water but you can't make the Jackass Drink

"As Americans you have the right to be stupid." John Kerry

"Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid.” John Wayne.