Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 06-14-2013, 10:34 AM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by greendoctor View Post
Keep cutting it low and the tendency of the bermuda to grow vertically is lessened. Fine lawns here are typically cut with a reel at less than 3/4" every 14-21 days. No they do not grow 5" high between cuts.
I keep it cut at 2 inches, which I know thanks to this site is no where near low enough. Been looking for a reel mower.
Old 06-19-2013, 03:25 PM
LawnSite Member

Have cut 3 times in last 8 days....it has rained a bunch so I have to wait until it's dry before cutting. I just do not like seeing any brown. It is nice and tight but still have some scalping.

The one bright yellow spot is from my 228 lb Mastiff. He knows better and normally goes over on the side but I did not get to this spot with the hose in time..that usually helps. He urine will flat kill grass......he dumps about 10 gallons every time he goes. Plus he poops like an african hippo.

All I want for Christmas is a nice tight, plush green bermuda lawn.

Today's pics:

Pics of the culprit:

How long do you gents think it will take before I start seeing less and less scalping / brown spots when cutting? The scalping drives me crazy!

Brian
Old 06-19-2013, 05:14 PM
LawnSite Member

Beautiful animal! I'm just miserable now. In the past nine days Kennesaw has received over 5 inches of rain. My front yard where it slopes has huge channels cut in it, erosion everywhere. Big yellow patches now. The back has standing water and what looks like a fungus starting. I'm so happy I wasted $800 last year getting the front leveled. This is just heartbreaking....I know there are more important things.
Old 06-20-2013, 09:08 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by IM_Kona_Brian View Post
Have cut 3 times in last 8 days....it has rained a bunch so I have to wait until it's dry before cutting. I just do not like seeing any brown. It is nice and tight but still have some scalping.

The one bright yellow spot is from my 228 lb Mastiff. He knows better and normally goes over on the side but I did not get to this spot with the hose in time..that usually helps. He urine will flat kill grass......he dumps about 10 gallons every time he goes. Plus he poops like an african hippo.

All I want for Christmas is a nice tight, plush green bermuda lawn.

How long do you gents think it will take before I start seeing less and less scalping / brown spots when cutting? The scalping drives me crazy!

Brian
Within a couple weeks you should start seeing less and less scalping provided you are mowing it often. Last season, before I had my reel mower, I was mowing 3x a week with a rotary @ 1.5" and mine looked pretty good with minimal scalping. The key is cutting frequency.
Old 07-15-2013, 08:57 PM
LawnSite Member

I think I've decided that the grass gods just don't want me to have a nice short green lawn..... either that or there is something I'm just not getting. My cutting frequency has definitely been increased… I'm cutting two times sometimes three times a week, and we've had a lot of rain lately - But I just can't seem to get the blade greener towards the bottom of the blade. I'm wondering if I should just go back to my rotary mower… And just cut the grass a little higher. I really like the nice short, tight look - But I think I like it longer and greener as opposed to shorter with brown spots all over the place.....arggghhhhhhhh.

To think just a summer ago I had this everyday......little longer but hard to complain:

Fast forward to this year and I decided want a putting green look so I'm using a buddy's reel mower and all of a sudden I am the CEO of Scalp City, Inc.

Ugh.

After today's cut:

Frustrating.

On a slightly more positive note....I got tired of looking at my awful bed and saw some wall stones on saw at lowes for about $1.50 a piece.....so I needed about 65 so it ran me about $105 and a a few hours to get them down....just need to backfill and plant a couple Globosa Nana's and some full sun colorful begonias and I think an elevated bed will look good.

Before:

Midway:

After:

Old 07-15-2013, 09:12 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

We've had so much rain lately, the bermuda is pushing a ton of top growth so don't feel too bad. Hopefully the rain will taper off a bit and give the bermuda a chance to fill it better between mowings.

For those that don't live in atlanta. We're at a 14" surplus for the year according to the news. They said we've had more rain this year than 2011 and 2012 combined.
Old 07-16-2013, 07:29 PM
LawnSite Member

So true, the sloped portion of my front yard is devastated from run off. Half of what I spent last year getting it leveled ($800) is now gone. I'm sooooo PO'd!!!!!

I have a couple of sections in the back that have sunken and now retain water. The only positive is I haven't used my irrigation system which is usually $400/month this time of year.
Old 07-17-2013, 10:29 AM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by macgyver_GA View Post
We've had so much rain lately, the bermuda is pushing a ton of top growth so don't feel too bad. Hopefully the rain will taper off a bit and give the bermuda a chance to fill it better between mowings.

For those that don't live in atlanta. We're at a 14" surplus for the year according to the news. They said we've had more rain this year than 2011 and 2012 combined.
It's been crazy, hasn't it? More coming later this week, or so I heard. I'm having a devil of a time with my bermuda. I have a Craftsman rotary and for the life of me I can't get the lawn down below 3-1/2", and at that it's clumping like crazy.

I guess I need tojoin the ranks of those investing in a reel mower.

I see a couple of TrueCuts for sale around here but they all have caster front wheels. How difficult and expensive is it to add a roller front wheel?

Last edited by SteevieG; 07-17-2013 at 10:35 AM.
Old 07-17-2013, 11:39 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteevieG View Post
It's been crazy, hasn't it? More coming later this week, or so I heard. I'm having a devil of a time with my bermuda. I have a Craftsman rotary and for the life of me I can't get the lawn down below 3-1/2", and at that it's clumping like crazy.

I guess I need tojoin the ranks of those investing in a reel mower.

I see a couple of TrueCuts for sale around here but they all have caster front wheels. How difficult and expensive is it to add a roller front wheel?
Install is easy.. Takes 10 minutes tops. I bought mine from reelworks. It was $180 shipped to my door IIRC for my 20" tru-cut.
Old 07-21-2013, 09:36 AM
LawnSite Member

Hey gang.....I want to add some dirt and have a raised bed of sorts - going to pull out one the the shrubs and replace it and also pant some flowers....begonias or celosias....want to have the surface just below the top edge if the stone....how much estimated dirt do you guys think I'll need and do I just look on Craigslist to have someone bring me some clean fill dirt? What's a good price per yard delivered?

Keep in mind I'll also be adding some much on top of the dirt and the big tree in the middle of the bed is slightly raised.

Thanks in advance...