Register free!

Old 06-20-2013, 08:54 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

You're not going to like my answer. SOD the last 25 ft before the water. If it is on a slope to the water, nature run off will fertilize the grass while the Grass filters the water before getting to the water.

Sod will HELP stop erosion from the day it is installed. the deeper the roots grow the better erosion control. If your budget doesn't allow a full 25 ft wide, strip/Banning sod will still be better than seed.

You said you had Clover in the seed mix but I didn't see a Cover Crop seed listed. Here in on the Gulf Coast of Fla. We would use Bermuda for Erosion Control because of both mass and extension of roots. Dutch Clover would have to be seeded separate since both seeds are rather small. But a Cover Crop of Brown Top Millet or even Oats comes up in 2 days to both hold the soil and shade young Bermuda Seedling from drying out in our hot sun. While seeding is not real popular in my area, Cover Crops are proven to help establish desirable seeds. Cover Crops can out compete desirable turf if planted to dense.

"TG doesn't give a rats ass about being "Responsible" as long as sales/production quotas are met. That's it in a nutshell. A recipe for disaster IMO." Ted Putnam 2/28/14

You can lead a Donkey to water but you can't make the Jackass Drink

"As Americans you have the right to be stupid." John Kerry

"Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid.” John Wayne.