Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 06-19-2013, 11:00 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Salt is a killer

This is a gear box out of a Buyers Salty Dog. Yea, I have tried over at PlowSite. I'm told this is a non serviceable part.....

The problem with this is that the bearing on top has siezed up.

What I'm looking for is the manufacture, a parts break down. Somthing that will aide me in rebuilding this, it's just a gearbox like that you would find on the old Bobcats....

And I did talk to the nice folks over at Buyers.......
Attached Images

The primary function of an Engineer is to make it difficult for the Fabricator and impossible for the Mechanic

RTFM What a concept

Old 06-20-2013, 07:55 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

If you can get it apart you should be able to match up bearings. It should be easy enough to figure out, take the end plate off andd see what it looks like.
Old 06-20-2013, 08:22 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Breez, Call J-Thomas with those numbers; http://www.j-thomas.com/Portal.aspx?CN=F897477EDA11
Quote:
Originally Posted by MannsLawnService View Post
some times the man in my mirror isn't so smart...
"Why go out preserved when you can go out beat up, worn out, sliding in sideways screaming, Holy Sh!t What A Ride" !!!
Old 06-20-2013, 10:40 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Restrorob View Post
Breez, Call J-Thomas with those numbers; http://www.j-thomas.com/Portal.aspx?CN=F897477EDA11
Just got off the phone with the tec guy there and he could not find anything on the gear box. I got me an orphan

The primary function of an Engineer is to make it difficult for the Fabricator and impossible for the Mechanic

RTFM What a concept

Old 06-20-2013, 10:42 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bashby View Post
If you can get it apart you should be able to match up bearings. It should be easy enough to figure out, take the end plate off andd see what it looks like.
Got most of it apart now, but I like to see what I'm getting into....A parts break down would really help.

RTFM What a concept

Old 06-20-2013, 11:39 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

Well, man...

I hear you on the "non-serviceable part" bit, like yourself I have found that is not always true, but looking at that, unless you have a clear idea on how to proceed it's looking like a frustrating afternoon already lol, have you found out how much is a new gearbox with the axle?
Old 06-20-2013, 01:25 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by herler View Post
Well, man...

it's looking like a frustrating afternoon already lol, have you found out how much is a new gearbox with the axle?
I have 4 months to get it up and running, and a new one is $396.20. It's not about the money, first snow storm and it would pay for it's self. I just hate throw away equipment for the cost of a ten dollar part.

RTFM What a concept

Old 06-20-2013, 10:49 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

It looks to be pretty much just an industrial gearbox. Give your local power transmission/bearing house a call. Or GOOGLE the numbers and see what ya get.
One thing I noticed. The endplate/bearing carrier is gonna have to come off(obviously). If yer lucky, the bearing might come out with the shaft, in which case all ya gotta do is cut/remove the sprocket. If not, yer gonna have to do a lot of cleaning up to get the shaft thru the bearing. Good luck!

......AMF!

Last edited by BigFish; 06-20-2013 at 10:58 PM.
Old 06-21-2013, 11:32 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigFish View Post
It looks to be pretty much just an industrial gearbox. Give your local power transmission/bearing house a call.
Just sent off an e-mail with those pics to Applied Industrial Tech Inc.. They used to be Bearings Inc at one time. I had completely forgotten about them, Good Idea !

Quote:
Or GOOGLE the numbers and see what ya get.
Tried that last night, no joy there..

Quote:
One thing I noticed. The endplate/bearing carrier is gonna have to come off(obviously). If yer lucky, the bearing might come out with the shaft, in which case all ya gotta do is cut/remove the sprocket. If not, yer gonna have to do a lot of cleaning up to get the shaft thru the bearing. Good luck!
Getting the sprocket off shouldn't be a problem, been putting a few drops of Dexron on it every day. But that stuff stinks ! And I have a roll of emery paper. When I have a few free hours, that shaft will shine......

RTFM What a concept