Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 06-20-2013, 06:30 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

What "Good deeds" have you done?

This kind of a "feel good" thread. Post some little things that you have done, out side the scope of your work at clients house. We all have done them, so lets share them. It might help to think of the little things that made someones day.

For instance, last Friday I finished at a clients house, and as was locking the trimmer into the rack, all the neighborhood kids were gathering on their bikes. "Lets go around the block!", I hear. all the kids state taking off, I look over and two little girls are still there, watching as the rest ride away. The one girls chain popped off her bike. Looking lost, and upset she pushed her bike to the curb. I walked over and asked if I could fix it for her. Her eyes lit up and said yes. I put the chain on and noticed how loose it was. I went to the truck got some tools and retentioned the chain for her. Handed the bike back to her and off she went to catch up to her friends. Grabbed my tools and as I turned around I noticed her mom (My client) looking out the window, smiling. I got in the truck and went along my route.

Sure, I didn't put a fire out or save a human life, but to that little girl, it made her day. Anyone else?
Old 06-20-2013, 08:34 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Sure, set the bar so high no one else can post and still save face.
Old 06-20-2013, 09:02 AM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caddyshack Lawn Care View Post
bahaha

Well I helped a client (80+ Yrs Old) get her groceries when I noticed her struggling to lift them.
Old 06-20-2013, 09:03 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caddyshack Lawn Care View Post
No kidding!

Now I'm gonna have to toss a puppy down a well just so I can rescue it to have a decent story.

Truthfully, I have done a ton of simple things over the years for customers and neighbors. It's how I was raised. Nothing spectacular that comes to mind immediately, but still stuff that mattered to them at the time, and cost me nothing but a few minutes of my time, like unclogging a gutter that was overflowing onto a porch right in front of the door, or bringing the mail up to the house for some very elderly folks so they didn't have to go out in the rain that day. Finding a lost dog and bringing it back home to the owner. Catching a kid doing a B&E on the neighbors car late at night etc etc .........
Old 06-20-2013, 11:30 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

I am very forgetful on one of my original clients house. I haven't remembered to send her a bill in 10+ yrs.
Old 06-20-2013, 02:31 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Fixed a customer's fence last week when I noticed one of the redwood slats had fell off. They have a couple small dogs in the yard that could've easily gotten out through that little opening.
Old 06-20-2013, 03:58 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I let a machete welding meth head live to see another day yesterday.
Ariens Rear Tine Tiller
(6) Trailers:
5x12, 6x12, 6x14, 8x16, 7x18, 6x22
Asus Transformer Infinity TY700 Tablet
Galaxy S3
Bananalogist

If you think it's expensive to hire a professional to do the job, wait until you hire an amateur.

Red Adair
Old 06-20-2013, 04:04 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Paid my taxes. Does that count?
Old 06-20-2013, 05:06 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

i do alot of small things that noone probably ever notices. i'll spray some weeds that grow out in the street between the asphalt and concrete curb for the house across the street from my customer's house. takes less than a minute so i just hit it when i'm spraying my customer's weeds. that's just an example. i do things like blow the clippings into a neighbor's yard that they just left out in the street when they were mowing. i dunno if they see it as me helping or not.
Old 06-20-2013, 08:30 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by weeze View Post
i do alot of small things that noone probably ever notices. i'll spray some weeds that grow out in the street between the asphalt and concrete curb for the house across the street from my customer's house. takes less than a minute so i just hit it when i'm spraying my customer's weeds. that's just an example. i do things like blow the clippings into a neighbor's yard that they just left out in the street when they were mowing. i dunno if they see it as me helping or not.
Just reminds me... One of the houses on my route is next door to the house I grew up in (it's a little weird being over there). I've become friends with the guy that lives in my old house, and every once in a while, he asks me to edge the lawn for him. After edging it, he insists that I blow the clippings into the street because he doesn't want the mess to end up on the lawn that he just mowed. Friggin guy man... lol