Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 06-21-2013, 12:33 AM
LawnSite Member

Melted Fuse

Yes, MELTED not just blown! Here's the story: I have a Ventrac 3000 with a Kawasaki FH601V 19HP with about 650 hours. When I bought the tractor about 4 years ago, it had "charging issues" but the seller thought they were fixed. A few times, I found the fuse between the starter and the voltage regulator had melted. This was inside the fuse, at the end, not in the middle where it should blow. I eventually changed to the new style prong type fuse and thought all was good! A few months ago, I added a volt meter and noticed the voltage never went higher than a little above 12 and sometimes barely above 10 volts. Finally, started checking things and found this. How does a fuse melt inside the fuse holder like this?
Attached Images

Old 06-21-2013, 01:03 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

The main cause of fuses melting is from poor/loose contact between the fuse and the holder, causing arcing and/or high resistance.
A good quality replacement fuse holder is hard to find. What I usually do is take my pliers and squeeze the holders terminals together ( before you insert the fuse ) so as to grip the fuse blades a bit tighter, or you can also ditch the fuse holder and just use individual crimp on terminals and tape to secure em.

......AMF!
Old 06-21-2013, 01:15 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Replace it with this. Problem solved.
Old 06-21-2013, 09:27 AM
LawnSite Member

Is that a breaker, similar to a circuit breaker in a house? Does it automatically reset itself?
Old 06-21-2013, 10:53 AM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dnrsslr View Post
Is that a breaker, similar to a circuit breaker in a house? Does it automatically reset itself?
I did a bit of searching. Would you recommend manual reset or auto reset?
Old 06-21-2013, 04:06 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dnrsslr View Post
I did a bit of searching. Would you recommend manual reset or auto reset?
Auto, after it cools down it resets it's self.
Old 06-21-2013, 10:17 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Maybe the fuse is too small. Or something is drawing too much current. Or there is a short.
But yes, as you suspect--you need to get the "charging issue " fixed. Voltage is supposed to be about 14.5 when the engine is running. About 12.8 when engine is not running.
Have the voltage regulator checked--or replaced.
Old 06-22-2013, 12:52 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Check for bad ground connections too. They will cause all sorts of issues.

60" Exmark Lazer Z 26 EFI with Ultra Vac
(2) 52" Exmark Lazer Z HP 23 Kawi with/Ultra Vac
36" Metro with 12.5 Kawi
Redmax bcz3000 trimmer
(2) Redmax 7001 blowers
(2) Stihl FC85 stick edgers
Old 06-22-2013, 10:10 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by monoshock View Post
Replace it with this. Problem solved.
That will work. BUT, when installed in the charge wire/ circuit ya need to make sure the "bat." terminal ( on the circ. bkr. ) is connected to the wire coming from the regulator/ rectifier. Which is opposite of how they are normally installed in a circuit.

Once again, the problem is not a short in yer wiring, but rather, poor/ loose connections between the fuse and the holder.

......AMF!
Old 06-24-2013, 10:32 AM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigFish View Post
That will work. BUT, when installed in the charge wire/ circuit ya need to make sure the "bat." terminal ( on the circ. bkr. ) is connected to the wire coming from the regulator/ rectifier. Which is opposite of how they are normally installed in a circuit.

Once again, the problem is not a short in yer wiring, but rather, poor/ loose connections between the fuse and the holder.
OK, thanks to everyone for your thoughts and advice. I installed a new blade style fuse holder and everything seems to be working now. It is showing about 14 volts when running so I'm definitely getting charging! With the voltmeter in the dash I can keep my eye on the voltage and know if something goes wrong. I also removed the dust cap from the fuse holder so I can keep my eye on the fuse and fuse holder easier.

Big Fish: Do you believe my ONLY problem is the connection between the fuse and the fuse holder? I'm surprised the original tube type fuse holder had the same problem as my replacement blade type fuse holder. In defense of your theory, the first replacement lasted two plus years and around 100 hours or so. I HOPE this is my only problem but I fear there is something else.