Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 06-20-2013, 06:32 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

In reality a roll bar is useless unless you have your seat belt on. I only have one property I use mine on. Very steep slope with a drop off. If I started sliding Id be in serious trouble!!
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 06-20-2013, 06:36 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

if you ever do flip over just keep your arms and legs tucked in tight. your normal reaction is to reach them out to try to "catch" yourself. if you do that you are gonna end up with broken arms and legs. if you flip best thing is to just tuck up like a ball and let the seat belt hold you and let the roll bar do it's job in keeping you from getting crushed under the weight of the mower.

now if you flip over into water good luck. you will probably drown when your head is stuck in the mud under water and the weight of the mower is on top of you. you might have a better chance at survival if you just don't use the rops and seatbelt and just jump off the mower as it starts to flip in that situation.

in these types of situations it's just better to use a stander or walkbehind mower. something you can easily let go of or jump off of quickly. this takes away any danger to yourself. the mower on the other hand that is another story altogether.

Last edited by weeze; 06-20-2013 at 06:41 PM.
Old 06-20-2013, 10:29 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

How did we survive without rops?

Really, know your limits and use your walkbehind.
You DO have a walkbehind for those steep places right?

NObama '08
NoMoreObama '12
Well, I hope everyone is happy now.
Old 06-20-2013, 10:31 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

You can blame Exmark for them they thought it would be a good way to charge a little more for the mower back in 2004. My 2003 was the last year with out ROPS my 2004 and 2005 both had them. They were so proud to be the first they acted so holy-er than thou and if you recall they pressed osha to make it mandatory. Is it useful ? ummm if your working around retaining walls or on the side of a lake or pond perhaps. But for hills it actually raises the center of gravity. And this is not the first stupid idea that mower engineers have had for hill safety. The older mowers use to have a Mercury switch so if the mower was on an incline that was steeper than it was set for you got an engine kill switch. Trouble is I had 2 of these malfunction and start acting up on flat bumping ground. Plus think about what it was intended to do so your on a hill and just when you need all the control you can get because if you make the wrong move you could slide off or worse. And what did this device do it killed your engine and there by your hydraulic controls right when you needed them most geeeeee thanks. With a track record like that perhaps you can't blame me for be pessimistic about a roll bar that brakes branches every where you go and serves no purpose for typical residential mowing.
Old 06-20-2013, 11:18 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

These people have a desire to die or become tragically injured so they can't work and their families be taken care of as a result for which reason it is important that it not be seen as their direct fault, the apparently valid excuse of tree limbs is given as cover for the plot, unfortunately insurance companies don't see things that way and the family is usually left destitute but for many the gamble still appears worth while.

For one, it takes the operator out of his or her misery.
Many people practice these forms of self-sacrifice that could result in one's untimely demise.

Whether this is terribly brave or very stupid, that has yet to be determined.

Last edited by herler; 06-20-2013 at 11:25 PM.
Old 06-21-2013, 01:01 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

Well, boys and girls, it is like this. Crap happens. I haven't had any type of automobile accident since 1970, but I still wear a seat belt. To be honest, I never used the rops on any of my mowers until this year. I have been running Gravely Promasters. Wide stance, fore and aft, pivoting front end which maximizes traction on uneven ground, plus I'm very careful.

Switched to a 460 this year. No pivoting front end, and a slightly narrower stance. I saw a post on here, with a link to a news report, of a Z operator being killed somewhere back east. Ohio, I think. Looked at the hill, and realized I've mowed stuff more dangerous looking than that, so decided the rops is going up any time I'm doing serious hills, or, more often in my case, larger roadside ditches. Takes, literally, less than 30 seconds to put up, or down, and gives me some peace of mind, "just in case". For those of you who think it can never happen, it can, and it does. Sure, it is often a case of operator error, but there are a multitude of other scenarios where one could lose control as well, including, but not limited to, loss of power, breaking belt, blown hydraulic hose, broken linkage, and the list goes on.
Old 06-21-2013, 07:11 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasonhc73 View Post
Has anyone ever seen a ztr roll over? I looked all over the u tube and didn't come up with much. ZTR Roll over only showed one accident that was a real accident that a ROBS could have helped, the accident however could have still been avoided. Other than people blatantly exceeding safety standards, I think it's extremely difficult to actually tip a ztr over.

From a purely CG point of view, more weight up high makes anything more tippy. Put it down or just take it off. Down means even more stability, off means less weight.
Yes I know a guy here that rolled a 60'' Exmark twice 1st time screwed him up little 2nd time he was able get off of it

I removed my ROP
Old 06-21-2013, 07:18 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMLC View Post
In reality a roll bar is useless unless you have your seat belt on. I only have one property I use mine on. Very steep slope with a drop off. If I started sliding Id be in serious trouble!!
Posted via Mobile Device
You said it
Old 06-21-2013, 08:06 AM
LawnSite Member

Wow, so many of these are quite impressive. Coming from the military where we safety brief everything, it's become so second natured. I guess I do take it for granted that how much risk management I do automatically. Safety briefings and standards that we have in place seem so "common sense" when in fact they really are "smart sense".

Exmark has 7 simple little videos about mowing safety. Imagine how many people could have been saved by watching these little videos, just by not driving there mowers off the edge of embankments.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VDNwaJaepuw

If you have any employees, I suggest you make them watch these, or just watch the videos with them. Maybe 1/2 an hour.

How close to an embankment do you go? Exmark requests that you do no closer than 2 mower decks width. Seams a bit excessive to me, but it is a buffer so you can either change directions to get traction or jump off.

Well, more smart, be safe.

“ Some of us will do our jobs well and some will not, but we will be judged by only one thing - the result. ”

― VL

Last edited by jasonhc73; 06-21-2013 at 08:11 AM.