Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 06-10-2013, 10:29 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by americanlawn View Post
Thanks guys. I'm no rocket scientist here. lol Been told micro's don't last very long. Especially iron. I trust my Agrium rep and land grant university big time. They have never steered me wrong. Grassman177 knows more about micro's than me regarding turf.

Regarding the 30-0-5 .... not sure what's in the blend. But Agrium's XCU formulations have always done well for us.
The product I used last year was very dusty but the price was right. However, I paid for it in the long run with corrosion related issues with the engines on my equipment. I steered clear of XCU this year. It gave great color but everything stayed covered in dust. I've found a very clean 28-3-10 product with 5% FE and 50% Uflexx at a very reasonable price for this area. I'm loving the fact that I can run my machines for 5 days and have a 10th of the dust on them than I would have with them working one day using XCU. The lawns are looking great too. And the company has a nice little reward package based on year end total purchases. They try to encourage sales by offering reasonable prices and incentives instead of penalizing you by bending you over the counter because you've only come in a few times in the past few months.
Old 06-10-2013, 10:54 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

I have been searching for the magic fertilizer that provides great green up, long lasting N (10+ weeks) and somewhat affordable. I also like a nice spreading fert. Last year I went with Lebanon 25-0-5 50% MESA, 1%FE but since last year was so dry I never did really get to see the results and it was pricey. I do know that it came out of my z spray great with very little dust. This year, in an effort to give business to my favorite salesman, I had a product blended for me that is very similar to the Lebanon product but instead of MESA is has Ureaform which my salesman claims is supposed to be like MESA. The new product was made by E.C. Grow The analysis of the Lebanon product and the E.C. Grow product is almost identical so I did a test on my personal lawn. My test has not concluded yet, but so far I can't tell a difference between the two. I do know that the E.C. Grow product is by far the dustiest fert I have ever spread. I think it's the Ureaform causing the dust problems ans its not a dry dust...It is a very sticky dust that cakes to everything. I will not be using this E.C. Grow product again just because of the dust.
Old 06-10-2013, 11:25 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

IMO, the XCU would have been fine if all we used was rotary push spreaders but that's not how we get our work done here.

The product I am using presently is manufactured by Mears Fertilizer out of El Dorado, KS and is distributed by Ewing. Very clean.

If it is dusty, I wouldn't use it in my ride on no matter how long the green lasts...but that's me. I'm done using dusty fert for the sake of a couple of bucks a bag.
Old 06-11-2013, 12:18 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Larry I think the 30-0-5 is a good bet.

2nd round here...I am running 46-0-0 100% UFLEXX, at only about 3/4 lb N/K as lawns just do not need very much N right now. This makes a bag stretch REALLY far. Also see no need to run any P (obviously) or K this time of year.
21" Toro SR4 Super Recycler
Stihl KM90 Kombi w/ straight shaft trimmer & tiller heads
Husqvarna 125B Blower
PG Magnum
Turfco XT5 Aerator
Turfco LS-22 Overseeder
EcoLawn 200 Applicator

I can do all things through Him who gives me strength.
Philippians 4:13
Old 06-11-2013, 06:36 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Great comments from all you pro's. I wish I could try all the above blends in side-by-side comparisons. I spose a lot has to do with soil type & types of grass. DA -- glad you're in round 2, cuz you had such a late start. We started the last day of March. Then record rainfall & many very windy days. Also one man short .... gunna hire a guy tomorrow. We offer 5 app's per year, and we hope to finish round two before July 3rd. (two weeks later than normal)
Old 06-15-2013, 12:02 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by americanlawn View Post
Great comments from all you pro's. I wish I could try all the above blends in side-by-side comparisons. I spose a lot has to do with soil type & types of grass. DA -- glad you're in round 2, cuz you had such a late start. We started the last day of March. Then record rainfall & many very windy days. Also one man short .... gunna hire a guy tomorrow. We offer 5 app's per year, and we hope to finish round two before July 3rd. (two weeks later than normal)
Hope your new guy works out Larry.
What summer annuals are you seeing out there now?
I am seeing a lot of yellow woodsorrel, clover (not annual I know but worth mention), spurge is starting.
With a deluge of rain, will crab be breaking through bad this summer?
21" Toro SR4 Super Recycler
Stihl KM90 Kombi w/ straight shaft trimmer & tiller heads
Husqvarna 125B Blower
PG Magnum
Turfco XT5 Aerator
Turfco LS-22 Overseeder
EcoLawn 200 Applicator

I can do all things through Him who gives me strength.
Philippians 4:13
Old 06-21-2013, 09:42 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by DA Quality Lawn & YS View Post
Hope your new guy works out Larry.
What summer annuals are you seeing out there now?
I am seeing a lot of yellow woodsorrel, clover (not annual I know but worth mention), spurge is starting.
With a deluge of rain, will crab be breaking through bad this summer?
Hi DA -- our new guy is doing great. 2 or 3 more tries & he will pass his pesticide tests. Odd thing is >> those stupid test questions really have NOTHING to do with our business. That's government for ya.

Some crabgrass & oxalis (bare/thin areas) has emerged during the past 3 weeks. Clover somewhat. Now spurge & nutsedge is emerging.

WEED OF THE YEAR + Prickly lettuce !! Bigtime !! Mostly in thinned out lawns from last year's record drought. 2013 = all-time record spring rainfall.

I just wish homeowners would mow correctly. This spring - we have gone thru a record amount of broadleaf herbicides. This makes our lawn app's go much more slowly than normal. Very tough deal cuz we started 3 weeks late. Then figure all the rain days. High wind days. Even snow in April.

We're running 3 weeks behind normal. Glad our max is 5 app's, cuz others sell 6 or 7.