Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 06-22-2013, 09:53 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Permeable flagstone on top of roots

The first project for my new front yard is upon me. The problem is there is a large silver maple taking up space.

I am planning to do some type of small 10' circular patio in front of the windows and redo the walk from the drive to stoop.

The original plan was to dig out for base of a paver patio but after walking the yard there was WAY to many roots in the area that I did not want to cut as this tree overhangs the house and I'd hate to harm it, having it tip during a storm.

Now im thinking something less invasive. Firs the grade will need to be raised as you see in the pics, Im thinking a very small (1' tall x maybe 10' long) boulder wall to help step up the grade. All the grass is to be removed, geotex, bringing in clean 3/4" stone to raise the actual patio grade and for the compactable base, after looking at the grade (slope is 5% from corner of house to corner of middle of house. Id say Ill get about 2-4" base depending on roots and how far away from the tree it is (farther will be less base as it slopes upward. Then 1' sand and flagstone and 3/8" gray trap rock in between.

The whole idea is to disturb as little roots as possible and allow water to drain through so hopefully the roots dont bulge the patio too much from being smothered. Also to allow for some movement with the flagstone from the roots.

How is this sounding? Any other ideas that I could utilize? The tree would be roughly 8' from the patio

Also whats the best way to cut a circle with flagstone. Handheld cutoff saw?