Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 04-26-2013, 01:23 PM
LawnSite Member

Help on growing to the next level

We have had an established business for about 7 years. Had a partner split 2 years ago that set us back, but have been growing each year since. We are at the point where we need to grow to more than one crew (we currently have one truck and mow rig but need a dedicated clean-up crew and mow crew). What is the best way to go about this? We DEFINITELY need another truck, but I am under the impression that banks will not easily give loans to the self employed because we are able to write so much off (or something to that effect). HELP!! Thank you!!
Old 04-26-2013, 01:50 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

The historical data national mainstream banks use shows a massive failure rate. If you can show the bank min of 5 years of tax returns and the corresponding profit and loss statements indicating profit and no loss you should be fine in the mean time if you can truly afford a loan then start paying now by putting 500 a month in a account every month now. If you can't do that then don't bother applying for a loan you can't afford it in the first place.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 06-23-2013, 01:17 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Im at the point where I also need a second truck but mine is to run another mow crew as we are just about tapped out with what we can handle in the one truck. Ive learned the hard way that the best way to keep your biz solid is by running it with " if you cant buy it for cash, don't buy it " in mind. Buy a POS that will do the job... i.e. get you from point A to point B. Ignore that little voice in your head that tells you "But if my truck isn't nice and new looking it will give potential customers the wrong impression, etc." Instead get what you can for cash and laugh at yourself for ever thinking you needed a nice truck as you go to the bank and deposit all the additional money you are saving from NOT buying and financing a nice new truck.
14x7 landscaping trailer
12x6 P&T hydro dump trailer w/leaf box
We run Gravely ZTRs, Honda 21"s, Kawasaki trimmers, Redmax Backpacks, LittleWonder loader
Old 06-23-2013, 01:30 AM
LawnSite Member

I have a 1990 Dodge W250 4x4 Power Ram. It isn't beautiful but it pulls and people like old trucks. I have never had anyone tell me it's ugly, well at least not while I'm around, lol. It gets the job done and only cost me 3k, it will pull whatever a new truck (with gas engine) will pull.
Husq Blower
Ford F250 7.3 Diesel
5x14 Trailer
In God We Trust!
Old 06-23-2013, 08:21 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kemco View Post
Im at the point where I also need a second truck but mine is to run another mow crew as we are just about tapped out with what we can handle in the one truck. Ive learned the hard way that the best way to keep your biz solid is by running it with " if you cant buy it for cash, don't buy it " in mind. Buy a POS that will do the job... i.e. get you from point A to point B. Ignore that little voice in your head that tells you "But if my truck isn't nice and new looking it will give potential customers the wrong impression, etc." Instead get what you can for cash and laugh at yourself for ever thinking you needed a nice truck as you go to the bank and deposit all the additional money you are saving from NOT buying and financing a nice new truck.
Just saw your signature says kawi 750 backpack as money pit? Why? I just bought one and love it. Do they not last?? Sorry to change the subject..
Old 06-23-2013, 08:33 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Buy a used truck