Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 06-23-2013, 09:53 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by DLCS View Post
I just bought one a few weeks ago. I love it except for the head. I had the dealer put the old style Veri head on it, like whats on your 1992 model. The head kept flying apart on me after a few hours use.
So far I like the head. Hasn't come apart yet. I was surprised at how little trimmer line Echo gives you when new! I swear when the dealer showed me all about this new head that it had like 5 feet of line in it!

I like it as the string eyelets are closer to the ground. With that and the large smooth head, I can "mow" large areas and not accidentally tap the head and let line out when not needed. I'm saving line like crazy. Old head lets out like 3" of line/tap. This one is like 1" or so.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 06-23-2013, 09:55 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawkshot99 View Post
I have a Echo 230. The trigger is like a little brake lever. I somehow managed to catch it and break it off. I also had another broken Echo trimmer, but it had a good trigger.
I decided to put the good one on the good trimmer. When doing the swap, I just never put the top piece on that you have to squeeze before the trigger. Less frustrating at times now when trimming at weird angles.
I'll have to look into removing that top piece. That or ill have the dealer swap the whole thing over to an older trigger style. It's just so stiff and touchy. Hard to get RPM' just right.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 06-23-2013, 10:01 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by siclmn View Post
You left the guard on for 21 years.
I leave the guard on for 21 minutes.
It's just how I learned over the years.

Like I said above, my factory head was bump happy. Always tapping and advancing when not needed. I couldn't see having to carry snips around or wind it back in several times per lawn.

Plus....knife snipped line cuts better than frayed. I also flipped the knife around and drilled two new holes so I get a bigger swath than factory.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 06-23-2013, 10:08 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJB View Post
Tommy, it doesnt count if it doesnt get used haha. I have some for parts that old but my echos are trashed after 3 yrs, the engines are still good, but the coil . carb, fuel lines all give me grief. I hate working on them I just buy a new echo.
I love my 260T have not looked at the 280 yet, but I also take off te guard
and put on the Edgit which lets out more string which shortens engine life . I run my trimmer for about 3 hrs per day so 3 yrs is all i expect. But my mowers I baby and they last for years . I have a 13 yr old Lazer that I was offered $2500 for but I can't sell it , it just keeps going and it still cuts great.
I tried the edging about 10 years ago. I hated that I got suction when "mowing" with it. It would suck itself to the ground. That and my extra line issue , as there is no more knife to cut off accidentally bumped extra line.

This thing wasn't babied! I go through at least 2 tankfuls a day now, and with my other job, I don't start until 1PM ! I have been slowly dwindling my customer list over the past 4 years due to my other job. I'm not saying it gets used 3 hrs a day, 6 days a week like yours, but at least an hour a day, 6 days a week for the past 4 years. I cut more grass part time then some guys do full time! lol
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 06-23-2013, 10:10 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by smallstripesnc View Post
I have an Echo SRM-230 and wait until you look inside the muffler and see this round weird baffle thing. No wonder the newer echo's are sluggish.
I guess I'll be getting in there soon if they still have spark arrestor screens in them. We'll see.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 06-23-2013, 11:57 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

[QUOTE=TLS;4799094]I tried the edging about 10 years ago. I hated that I got suction when "mowing" with it. It would suck itself to the ground. That and my extra line issue , as there is no more knife to cut off accidentally bumped extra line.

This thing wasn't babied! I go through at least 2 tankfuls a day now, and with my other job, I don't start until 1PM ! I have been slowly dwindling my customer list over the past 4 years due to my other job. I'm not saying it gets used 3 hrs a day, 6 days a week like yours, but at least an hour a day, 6 days a week for the past 4 years. I cut more grass part time then some guys do full time! lol
Posted via Mobile Device[/QUOTE

I was just giving you a hard time.
You definately got yours moneys worth on that trimmer. Whats
your secret, maybe you are doing something different like mix etc. I've always took out the spark screen, and found amsoil best for not building up carbon.

I don't even notice the suction anymore from the edgit. I have to trim large areas where the extra string speeds up the trim work, plus makes it so easy to edge.

Are you loving your new Exmark after the Hustler experience?

2013 Exmark Pioneer S 60" Ultracut (Review with pics) http://www.lawnsite.com/showthread.php?t=410996

2010 Badboy Outlaw 6100 31 KAWI

2008 Exmark Lazer Z AS 60" U/C 28 Kawi

2000 Exmark Lazer Z 60" L/C Kawi 4100 + hrs strong
Old 06-23-2013, 12:21 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I have a 2502 that keep as a backup. It still runs pretty good as well. I think my dad bought it in the late 80s or early 90s
Shindaiwa t-270, eb-630
Scag giant vac w/ 18 hp vanguard
Redmax 8500
Old 06-23-2013, 01:50 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Loving the Lazer! Less trimming, better, no, much better cut, and it laughs at hills!
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 06-23-2013, 06:29 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

I guess my main issue is the stiffness and non-pinky finger friendly trigger throttle.

It would be ok if I could set a detent at like 1/3 throttle, and not have to mess with it.

Maybe this RED technology on my Lazer has got me throttle less spoiled!
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 06-23-2013, 07:25 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

I think there is alot to be said for being an owner/operator and gear lasting. I have been using an older Echo pas since like 05'. I know what you mean about the older trigger and throttle. I tried a friends stihl trimmer for a few days and couldn't every once get the rpms where I wanted it. I hardly ever have to wind it up even half throttle on my echo but the Stihl seemed like it was on or off ...lol I have worried that the new echos would be like this as well.