Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 04-05-2005, 09:59 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

The commercial trucking firms that we use charge a rate of 12.8% of the total delivered value. They do this becuase if gas were to go down the end user of the products would see their prices go down. The end users wouldn't accept a regular rate price increase because that would be there for ever. A fuel surcharge is temporary. (well supposed to be anyway)
Old 06-23-2013, 12:09 PM
LawnSite Member

So what's everyone's game plan now that we're well over $3 a gallon?
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 06-23-2013, 12:30 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by topsites View Post
Not to say you are like this, but I did see one or two, here and there who are guilty ... These are the guys who feel they just pass the price on to the customer, and the hell with it, take it or leave it. And that is all fine and dandy with a few customers but mainstream (Average American) customers who are my main source of income simply can not (and will not) go for this arrogant attitude.

At least now I find it easier to stick to standard prices ($35/average size yard) and not have to argue and give discounts all the time because I can't do it anymore. But while they're paying slightly more, I lowered my fuel-consumption for grass-cutting to a gallon per yard which includes the truck.
Really, a gallon is now only a dollar more than last year. What's the big deal, one dollar? I can deal with that, once the price goes to 4-5 dollars/gallon, we might talk again. By the way, $3/gallon is not far away and I think we'll see $3.50/gallon before summer's end.

So I spent money and got high-performance 8mm Taylor wires, High-performance cap-and-rotor, double-platinum plugs, open-air filter, replaced the tailgate with an airgate, and stopped the oil leak by replacing valve cover gaskets. I serviced the transmission which was leaking, I replaced and/or packed (worn) bearings, checked tire-air pressures, replaced fuel filters, changed oil (synthetic), etc, etc ...
In addition:
- All equipment starts in 1 pull. Ok 2 (1 for choke, 1 for run), 3 maybe but not 4 or 5 or more.
- Fuel up in the morning and leave the 5-gallon cans at home (thou I do have a syphon-pump in the truckbox) and carry the mix.
- Weedeaters run dandy at between 25-75% throttle. Only time I need full-throttle is for SERIOUS weeds - One tankfull of mix should last all day. On another note - learn to skim the string along paved areas in such a way that the pavement does not consume it - One tap of the head to release more string should last the entire yard.
- Backpack blowers usually clear light grass-cut debris on idle or slightly above - One tankfull of mix should last two days.
- Mower-throttle - Turn it to FULL, then lower it slowly until the engine changes pitch, then raise it a little bit to get the pitch back but with OUT being at full throttle - This saves fuel. One 5-gallon tank on a WB should cut 10-12 yards, maybe 14.
- Plan all-same work for the whole day (i.e.: Core Aeration ONLY, Grass-cutting ONLY, etc) and carry ONLY that equipment. If you're doing mulch, what is the seed-spreader doing in the back of the truck?
- Plan your route so everything is in a row, no cross-town trips for 1 yard and no doubling-back. Do it right, everytime.
- Carry only ONE WB. Carrying two wb's in case one breaks wastes more fuel than the once/year occasion when this happens is worth. If you got 2 guys, one cuts grass while the other weed-eats and blows.
- Learn to use liquid edging - Round-Up is cheaper than weedeater-fuel if you buy the 64oz concentrate and mix with water. But be damn careful, LOL!
- When fueling, always fill everything up. For me, one fill-up lasts at least a week - Every stop at the station wastes fuel.
- Don't need it today? Leave it at home. This includes wheelbarrows, shovels, rakes, and any and all utensils/tools you will not need. If per chance someone offers me work that involves a tool I do not have, I would just as soon re-schedule for the next day I'm in their area.
- Schedule jobs in areas/day. One day: southside, next day: east-end. etc
- If equipment isn't working, it shouldn't be running. Always Turn it OFF, even if 'only leaving for a sec.' This includes the truck anytime a stop should take more than 20 seconds. 20 seconds of idle = the fuel it takes to start it.
... I turn the engine off at red lights, it's a european trick. And if you don't know why Europeans turn their motors off at intersections, try paying over $5/gallon of fuel. Needless to say - train crossing = Motor OFF

Also:
- Learn to drive with-OUT using the brake pedal. Now you can't drive recklessly so you learn to control the speed while using ONLY the throttle (or not using it, so to speak). When you use the brakes, you are shaving off speed which took fuel to build. In essence, using brakes means wasted fuel. This means leaving a lot of distance in front of you and coasting a LOT, ways in advance of known slow turns and intersections. As an example, I try to coast all the way down to 25mph before applying brakes in a 45mph zone. If you do it right, the light turns green and traffic starts moving before you have to touch the brakes.
In neighborhoods, when pulling up to a customer's house, I usually put gear in neutral and turn the motor off, then coast the rest of the way and hopefully eek to a standstill right in front of the house without the use of brakes.

I do fill up once/week even if there's plenty of fuel left, today I filled up 42 dollars for last week after grossing almost 1000. Once I start cutting grass 5/6 days/week, I do expect the fuel bill to go up towards 80, which is max. budget for peak.

For those who wonder why my prices haven't gone up - The math is simple.
lalala
One tank for a day?

Hahaha. I do 3 gal/week
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 06-23-2013, 12:37 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

As back then as now. Fuel is just an expense as any other expense. One's prices should cover the cost of one's expenses.

To raise one's prices and add a fuel surcharge is wrong.

As a business owner I do not want to raise prices just because I feel like it. Though if I need to raise my rates I will have no problem telling my customers that there will be a price increase.

I will not hide an increase as a fuel surcharge. I have yet to see any LCO's raise and lower their fuel surcharge as fuel prices go up and down.

A surcharge does not follow fuel prices is not a surcharge. Just a person hiding a permanent price hike.
Old 06-23-2013, 03:08 PM
LawnSite Member

As others did in 2005 when this thread started, I started charging a surcharge for fuel once it reached $ 2 a gal. I remember that increase went out to my customers in the June statement of that year. I simply wrote a note on their statement that due to the price of fuel, that a surcharge of $ 1 per cut would be charged. It has gone up and down along with the price of gas, I'm now at $ 2 a cut. I have never heard any backlash from my customers, and a few I did happen to speak about it face to face completely understood. Everyone has their way of running their business. The rising gas prices were and still are a cost of living increase for everyone of us. It costs more to eat, send or receive a package, and to heat your home in the winter, all due to higher fuel costs, so why should it not cost more to have your grass cut?
Old 06-23-2013, 05:12 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

This little blast from the past is funny. I see one guys average price for a lawn was 35 in 2001. Now with gas at 3-4 per gallon i have to compete with morons charging 25 for any lawn. Dont sweat the small stuff boys.
Old 06-23-2013, 05:23 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by GRPM LLC. View Post
As others did in 2005 when this thread started, I started charging a surcharge for fuel once it reached $ 2 a gal. I remember that increase went out to my customers in the June statement of that year. I simply wrote a note on their statement that due to the price of fuel, that a surcharge of $ 1 per cut would be charged. It has gone up and down along with the price of gas, I'm now at $ 2 a cut. I have never heard any backlash from my customers, and a few I did happen to speak about it face to face completely understood. Everyone has their way of running their business. The rising gas prices were and still are a cost of living increase for everyone of us. It costs more to eat, send or receive a package, and to heat your home in the winter, all due to higher fuel costs, so why should it not cost more to have your grass cut?
So, in the span of 8 years you only increased lawns $2 ???!!!
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 06-23-2013, 05:26 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Time to hop on the Murray and go down the street yelling out $12 any lawn!
Old 06-23-2013, 05:41 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marshmallow View Post
Time to hop on the Murray and go down the street yelling out $12 any lawn!
At least you wont get any competition from the 12 year olds. They arent that stupid.
Old 06-23-2013, 08:29 PM
LawnSite Member

I think my yard man has a better cut than a Murray ha ha.
Posted via Mobile Device