Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 06-23-2013, 11:24 PM
LawnSite Member

Scag Cheetah 61 or 72 for slopes

I am about to pick up a SCZ61V-921FX and am now wondering if I should get a SCZ72V-921FX. We mow some slopes that are rough. I have an old Ransoms Bob-Cat zt200 that can mow some of it, but gets kind of scary on some slopes. None are more that 15 ft high, but they have some lumps that add to the excitement. We just mow straight up and down since going sideways is a series of washed out ruts. We have finally decided to get a new rig and decided on the Cheetah SCZ61V-921FX since that deck size works well for trimming. Now I am wondering if we should get a 72" deck since it has a longer wheelbase and appears to have a wider stance too.

This is a small part of what we mow, but I want to be safer than we have been. Most of our mowing is open flat ground that will beat you to death at 8mph on the Bob-Cat. The Cheetah should help smooth out some of those bumps.

So will the 72 provide a better hill side mower? I feel having the larger deck down low should help lower the center of gravity.
Old 06-24-2013, 12:54 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

They are very good mowing forward down a hill. They are very good mowing forward up a hill. Backing down they can do it but will need to go over the line a at-least twice they leave a pile in the center of the deck when going in reverse. Now back up hill forget about it the wheel base is all wrong for that and they will break free and tear much easier than some other brands. I have never tried a 72 so I can only speak for the 61.
Old 06-24-2013, 10:46 AM
LawnSite Member

Thanks for that. Now the only thing I wonder is if the 72" machine is actually wider, or if the deck just sticks out more on each side.
Old 06-24-2013, 10:48 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

The front and rear wheels are in fact wider. It has a wider wheelbase to help the 72 out
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 06-24-2013, 11:09 AM
LawnSite Member

That's good to know. I'll go visit my dealer and see what the bump in size will cost and how long it will take to get one. I can pick up the 61 this week.
Old 06-24-2013, 12:18 PM
LawnSite Member

Going to a 72 was neglible in cost and deliver didn't change so I have a 72 on the way.
Old 06-24-2013, 08:50 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by WeedSeed View Post
Going to a 72 was neglible in cost and deliver didn't change so I have a 72 on the way.
Please come back with your thoughts after operating it for a short time, this may be the first 72" Cheetah anyone has commented on that I'm aware of. I think you are going to be more than pleasantly surprised at the amount of work this mower can do compared to what you've done in the past, and you will probably be raving about the ride and handling.
Old 06-25-2013, 05:42 AM

I would think a 72" would do a lot of scalping on lumpy yards. You would need a 60" for those type yards. Also a 72" would increase the trim work on some yards since it can't fit into the tighter spaces. Sure would cut the mowing time on wide open flat yards.
Old 06-25-2013, 09:01 AM
LawnSite Member

I'm sure there will be moments where I regret the larger size. Still with all the open area we mow, the trade off will be worth it. I will post comments after a few days of mowing with it.
Old 06-25-2013, 02:45 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

For a 1 do it all mower a 72 can present a problem but where it can work it will mop the floor with a 60.