Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 06-23-2013, 07:09 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Around here we've got mostly fescue and bluegrass lawns, some rye. Those that don't take care of it I find I need to cut shorter to make it look good. Loose too much vacuum cutting tall on thin stuff
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 06-24-2013, 06:49 AM
LawnSite Member

I only read the first page on this thread but I started with a fixed deck 36" bunton many years ago. It was a total PIA to adjust blades. I tried to schedule the ones that wanted something other than the standard height together so I only had to adjust the blades up and down, 1x. Gas was a lot cheaper back then and I had more time so I didn't mind driving a little bit more to do this.

Then I got busy and stopped the madness! Eventually I moved on to only 60' ztrs with quickly adjustable decks. My profitability increased and it was easier so my overall satisfaction with my work improved, as well.

My advice, gut it out while you have time and are making a name for yourself. When you are busy and don't have time, cut the PIA customers from your client list.
Old 06-24-2013, 11:17 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SWMichigan View Post
I only read the first page on this thread but I started with a fixed deck 36" bunton many years ago. It was a total PIA to adjust blades. I tried to schedule the ones that wanted something other than the standard height together so I only had to adjust the blades up and down, 1x. Gas was a lot cheaper back then and I had more time so I didn't mind driving a little bit more to do this.

Then I got busy and stopped the madness! Eventually I moved on to only 60' ztrs with quickly adjustable decks. My profitability increased and it was easier so my overall satisfaction with my work improved, as well.

My advice, gut it out while you have time and are making a name for yourself. When you are busy and don't have time, cut the PIA customers from your client list.
They are pita customers because they want the grass cut at a given height?
Just because he owns a mower with a fixed deck doesn't make the customer a pita. Get the right equipment to do the job. That's where the word "professional" comes in to play. I change cut height anywhere from 3-4" every week.

Just as Kawasaki125 said, clients with weeds will need to be cut shorter then a lawn that is weed free and thick.
Old 06-24-2013, 11:46 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

I remember reading or hearing years ago about a study done by some university (maybe Texas A&m)that cutting grass to short makes it grow faster because it puts the grass in shock and it tries to reproduce a leaf to help photosynthesis.
Old 06-24-2013, 05:17 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
They are pita customers because they want the grass cut at a given height?
Good point! My statement was confusing.

Eventually I purchased a 60" mower and used it everywhere I could. After that purchase, I only used the 36" mower for areas with gates, which became a pia for me, as I suspect it will for him. I was nervous to drop the clients that required the 36" mower but once I did I was more efficient, had more energy and generally enjoyed my work week more.
Old 06-24-2013, 11:39 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SWMichigan View Post
Good point! My statement was confusing.

Eventually I purchased a 60" mower and used it everywhere I could. After that purchase, I only used the 36" mower for areas with gates, which became a pia for me, as I suspect it will for him. I was nervous to drop the clients that required the 36" mower but once I did I was more efficient, had more energy and generally enjoyed my work week more.
This is precisely why the square footage model of pricing lawns for mowing, aeration etc. is not something I dabble with. Some of those tiny lawns with limited access and a huge amount of trimming and obstacles can be a real PITA. Save those for the Johnny upstarts to struggle with.

Also....as soon as you can replace the mow-it-lower folks with better accounts.....the better off you will be.

Posted via Mobile Device
Old 07-10-2013, 12:31 PM
LawnSite Member

Hate to ask a dumb question, but what is a "EOW customer?"

Thanks.
Old 07-10-2013, 12:41 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rll131 View Post
i've recently switched to cutting at 3 inch was cutting lower. I have a snapper 36 inch walk behind and i have to remove the blades to raise or lower cutting height. I run solo so this is a problem on site. What do you guys do i have my front wheels on the lowest setting to give me the proper tilt on my blades so can't lower it there. I tried explaining to him that 3 is a good height but he's bi weekly and wants it cut lower.
id raise deck if i were you, 3 inches is entirely too short.
Old 07-10-2013, 12:42 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by inhaliburton View Post
hate to ask a dumb question, but what is a "eow customer?"

thanks.
every other week, i would never do that for anyone but some guys do..
Old 07-10-2013, 12:48 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

EOW = every other week
Bi-weekly, if properly used in the English language would be two times per week. In the lawn care industry, it more often than not is meant to be EOW.