Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Closed Thread

Old 05-11-2013, 03:46 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

To be honest a lot of this work looks sub par. Mulch looks pretty sloppy and that sod looks really rough. That's great that you've got a ton of work but when quality goes out the window, what good is it? Not trying to be negative, just giving an honest opinion based off the pics.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 05-16-2013, 09:46 PM
LawnSite Member

newest fun toy! this thing rocks!

Old 05-16-2013, 10:13 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Yeah, um.... hey man good for you and everything but what were those mulch pictures? The first one wasn't so bad but where is the edge? And why does the second one look incomplete? I own my own business now and if I ever came up on my guys doing a sod job that looked like that they would all be fired on the spot. I know cell phone pictures can be tricky but the parking lot looks normal to me so I don't think its distortion.... You know that you need to tie in each piece of sod to the other one as close as possible right? And it looks here like you might have ran out of sod as well... I mean, hey, if the thread was titled "Quick crappy commercial work because they were paying me peanuts" then I would understand.... But the thread is entitled "still killing it"......... Dude, the only thing you are killing is your company's reputation..... It's one thing when guys put up photos and you can tell they are just starting out and maybe they don't know all that much or don't have experience but you are claiming "killing it"....
Hey man, this is a forum and we are all entitled to our opinions.... if I am wrong about you then post up some pictures of some quality work and I will be the first one to congratulate you and tell you what a good job you did but I can't just stand by while someone posts pictures of sub par work claiming that it is good.......
Old 06-24-2013, 11:00 PM
LawnSite Member

i think jealousy of my 80s case davis trencher . winsconsin v2 engine. thing is a beast!

i love 80s equipment, when they used real metal!

would you drive a mini ex up this hill to plant 70 trees? my operator was nervous on this slope. but ' got er done'

Old 06-24-2013, 11:09 PM
LawnSite Member

there ya go gentleman finest looking sod i ever saw.

or at least commercially passable sod.

Old 06-24-2013, 11:23 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

yes i would drive a mini excavator up that hill to plant 70 trees just keep the blade low so prevents the machine from tipping back, i dragged a 6500lb up a hill so steep the 3 ton mini excavator wouldn't drive up the hill with chipper chained to the bucket. i had to dig the blade about 5" into the ground with the arm as close to machine as it would go and then back up, and extend the arm while keeping the chipper from smashing the chute into the ground. it took me about an hour to get the chipper out of the area, i didn't even have the mini on the site, but luckily it was only about 4 miles away, so i was able to get it quick, i can load and tie down a mini in about 5 mins with chains and binders, front and rear, fastest on the east coast....

I do what other landscapers say is impossible or can't be done....but your operator should be fired. he clearly has little experience in the machine.
Old 06-24-2013, 11:49 PM
LawnSite Member

steeper than it looks! im buying him a 303 cat next month hell get better on it.

roses at a dollar general? what these landscape architects thinking, musta been in this months 'landscape architect magazine'

2 truckloads of sod at 5am. #notfun . luckily this was ' bring your dog to work day' guess i forgot to tell the guys. so i was reallll busy watching my dog all day. too busy for sodding!

Old 06-25-2013, 08:37 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Interesting...............

I like my guns like Obama likes his voters: Undocumented

Criminals obey gun laws like politicians follow their oaths of office
Old 06-25-2013, 09:24 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by italianstallion69 View Post
steeper than it looks! im buying him a 303 cat next month hell get better on it.

roses at a dollar general? what these landscape architects thinking, musta been in this months 'landscape architect magazine'

2 truckloads of sod at 5am. #notfun . luckily this was ' bring your dog to work day' guess i forgot to tell the guys. so i was reallll busy watching my dog all day. too busy for sodding!

the machine doesn't make the operator....he could have a brand new cat mini x and still suck and be scared to go up a hill. a good operator knows what is possible and what is not in a machine, and will figure a way out to do something that might seem a little difficult. Like i said i do what other landscape contractors say is impossible or can't be done without certain machinery, without that machinery.
Old 06-25-2013, 01:41 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

I can't imagine anyone in a cool season turf area accepting that sod and actually being paid to install it.

And in that first pic, where is the root ball of that tree? Under 6" of clay?

I like my guns like Obama likes his voters: Undocumented

Criminals obey gun laws like politicians follow their oaths of office
Closed Thread