Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 06-26-2013, 10:57 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

McFarland. He does, and I know he does. He took it personally. And he is a very good person to employ.
Old 06-26-2013, 11:07 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Tony, I really don't know what I would hope to accomplish to be honest. I'm really just pulling for ideas and advice m
Old 06-26-2013, 11:13 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LR3 View Post
Cola, the last two years he was only operating a self propelled push mower. Five weeks ago he was given the responsibility of operating the walk behind. Within a year he has crashed a brand new ZTR into a Rick unloading it, forgot to latch the coupler to the ball which led to the trailer disconnecting and today ran the walk behind off of a 4-5 foot wall.
Maybe what we have here is the Peter Principle!
Old 06-26-2013, 11:23 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

What is the Peter principle?
Old 06-26-2013, 11:33 PM
LawnSite Member

We try to document our accidents and near-accidents with as much detail as possible.
The employee involved then becomes responsible to develop and present a training class on the subject.
This seems to really involve and motivate the employees in creative solution finding and taking ownership for their mistakes.

Most accidents are usually preceded by one or more safety violations. These can be ID'd in the investigation.
The accrued points for violations attributed to the employee determine the punishment, from time loss to termination. This has been a great system to remove any emotion in regards to the offenders value vs risk for the Foremen.
Old 06-26-2013, 11:39 PM
LawnSite Member

Almost forgot .. Any actual accidents resulting in broken trucks, equipment or injury the employee responsible is taken to the local "Urgent Care" for urinalysis.

This step has saved a few investigation hours. LOL

Well, I went myself, when I rolled and broke my ankle on the job.
Old 06-26-2013, 11:55 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I will document the accident in full detail. I do wish I had taken a picture for my records. I like your policy rocky and will consider some of them.
Old 06-27-2013, 12:00 AM
LawnSite Member

Rocky's policy sounds like what I was going to suggest. I work for a large landscape company and we do something similar that works well. We fill out an "accident report" when anything happens, from broken equipment to broken ankles. It basically asks you what happened, who was there, why it happened and what you can do to prevent it from happening in the future. We have a company meeting once a month in the morning and go over recent accidents kind of like what Rocky said. This helps to prevent them from happening and also keeps a record of it happening. Too many accidents with similar safety violations can lead to termination or other punishment, and it's documented on these reports, but it's not the same as a write up.
Old 06-27-2013, 10:22 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LR3 View Post
Cola, the last two years he was only operating a self propelled push mower. Five weeks ago he was given the responsibility of operating the walk behind. Within a year he has crashed a brand new ZTR into a Rick unloading it, forgot to latch the coupler to the ball which led to the trailer disconnecting and today ran the walk behind off of a 4-5 foot wall.

Ok. Then put him back on push mower for x days or manual labor as a sort of punishment but be sure to explain the why of it. I once forgot to hitch the trailer & it came off on road. Everyone makes mistakes but it seems like your guy has not been able to master certain duties quickly but is overall a great employee.

I know some biz write up employees re incidents but what would be your purpose in doing so, Get (3) strikes and your fired? In my early twenties eons ago, I worked for a LCO before I went into biz for myself. We did all kinds of dumb stuff because we did not know better & mainly because the Owner or crew leader didn't teach us properly. Examples:

One employee poured (1) gl of straight undiluted Roundup in a sprayer. Back then Roundup was very Expensive!

Another employee left some nice tools by the roadway after repairing the ZTR & forget to collect tools. Somebody drove by & took them! Tools were Owner's deceased brother's tools whom recently died. Owner was very upset as you can imagine but employee not fired.

I once was working on Sat by myself & driving the dually flatbed truck. Went to Mom's house to eat lunch and backed truck into pine tree! Dented rear bumper. Did not tell owner lol. He eventually noticed it & I admitted it but was not fired.

The point is, employees are going to do stupid stuff but it was the lack of supervision that led to us doing dumb stuff. We weren't trained properly by owner or crew leader. Lucky us we had a good boss/owner that didnt fire us everytime we made a stupid mistake & we made expensive ones.

You or crew leader need to more closely monitor this employee & teach him to do better. The damage done not only reflects on employee but on his teacher.
Ariens Rear Tine Tiller
(6) Trailers:
5x12, 6x12, 6x14, 8x16, 7x18, 6x22
Asus Transformer Infinity TY700 Tablet
Galaxy S3
Bananalogist

If you think it's expensive to hire a professional to do the job, wait until you hire an amateur.

Red Adair