Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 06-20-2013, 08:13 AM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by baitdragger View Post
It could have been too sensitive. I wasn't hitting ditches at full speed trying to roll the thing. Just 4-5 mph through a gravel lot to the grass and if I hit a bump my arm would raise a little and the engine would spool down and 1/2 second later my arm drop and the engine pick up RPMs

I figured if it did that so many times on test ride. It would surely annoy me on a bumpy lawn

I went to demo the pro stance 100% because of this thread and review. I had demoed the stander X and GS already. Neither had such a finicky cut off

My main yard has a big gate and lots of sticks. I didn't know the ebrake kept the engine running till these replies so I was worried I would start the engine 7 times each yard
Posted via Mobile Device
I would say its something you get use to and you wont lift your hand off the safety over bumps(and it may be out of adjustment). Most of my lawns here in NH are bumpy and I had no problems. Your not going to find a better built stander with all the features and cut quality. Foot operated and hand operated deck lift, dial adjust deck height, rubber isolated foot platform, etc. etc. Thanks for your honest input, got any pics?
Old 06-28-2013, 08:57 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

the 2 biggest things keeping me from liking any of these standers other than wright is the platforms and the operator presence. i really like having the OPC in platform and never have had an issue with it. the hand operated OPC's are just a pain IMO. the other thing is the platforms, i'm 6'2'' and feel like i'm 10' tall on other standers. i can go under trees and stuff much easier on the wright and feel much more secure on them. I'm really leaning toward a gravely if anything else if i can't get the cut quality issues sorted out. that is the ONLY good thing i have to say about the loaner vantage I have been using the past couple days
Old 06-28-2013, 09:03 AM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kawakx125 View Post
the 2 biggest things keeping me from liking any of these standers other than wright is the platforms and the operator presence. i really like having the OPC in platform and never have had an issue with it. the hand operated OPC's are just a pain IMO. the other thing is the platforms, i'm 6'2'' and feel like i'm 10' tall on other standers. i can go under trees and stuff much easier on the wright and feel much more secure on them. I'm really leaning toward a gravely if anything else if i can't get the cut quality issues sorted out. that is the ONLY good thing i have to say about the loaner vantage I have been using the past couple days
I here ya on the platform operator presence. My guess to why the Pro-Stance doesnt use it is because the platform flips up for WB mode. IMO the Pro-Stance is the only "useable" stander as a WB. Altough traction was reduced. The cut is great on the Pro-Stance and that is Wrights down fall and always has been, crappy cut quality. I had great hope for the aero core deck but it has been less than stellar on cool season grasses.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 06-28-2013, 09:54 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

I currently have mine in the shop for cut quality issues, another LCO in my area has 2 of them and they seem to do a good job with the right blades and baffle setup. the dealer thinks mine cuts like crap as well and they can't figure out why, everything is within spec. if i haven't heard something positive by monday then i'll probably be looking to get into something else
Old 06-28-2013, 09:36 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

The high platform height on the other brands of mowers is related to the patent Wright has on the location of the platform. Agreed, it is high. If it were as low as the Wright there would be a lot of bottoming out along with problems navigating ditches. A person does get used ot it after a while though.
Old 07-02-2013, 07:48 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Very interesting read! I met Gravely's Bill Engler in Orlando during my 452 demo. He was an amazing individual!!

http://mobile.greenindustrypros.com/...reasons-to-buy
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 07-03-2013, 08:04 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

i bottom out the platform on this vantage on multiple properties, not to mention every time i load it on the trailer it drags.
Old 07-04-2013, 12:15 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

Dont get me wrong I think Gravely is a good company but I really hated the X Factor deck when it first came out. Now I never tried to side discharge with it I needed a mulching mower. I spent countless hrs under it looking for flaws that were causing cutting issues, it was worse than my XR7 by far. Maybe I got a messed up mower. I sent pics to Gravely I checked pitch, tire pressure to no avail. Nice looking mower at first but then it turned to hate I could not even use it on my jobs. The pics below show the cut quality.
Attached Images

2013 Exmark Pioneer S 60" Ultracut (Review with pics) http://www.lawnsite.com/showthread.php?t=410996

2010 Badboy Outlaw 6100 31 KAWI

2008 Exmark Lazer Z AS 60" U/C 28 Kawi

2000 Exmark Lazer Z 60" L/C Kawi 4100 + hrs strong
Old 07-04-2013, 07:08 AM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJB View Post
Dont get me wrong I think Gravely is a good company but I really hated the X Factor deck when it first came out. Now I never tried to side discharge with it I needed a mulching mower. I spent countless hrs under it looking for flaws that were causing cutting issues, it was worse than my XR7 by far. Maybe I got a messed up mower. I sent pics to Gravely I checked pitch, tire pressure to no avail. Nice looking mower at first but then it turned to hate I could not even use it on my jobs. The pics below show the cut quality.
The Gravely Pro-Stance doesnt have the X-Factor deck. You may want to post this in the X-Factor cut quality thread. Most open style decks do not mulch well because they process huge volumes of grass quickly. Allowing for great cut quality in most all conditions, especially wet and at speed. I have never tried mulching here as things are always wet. Morning dew does dry off here until 11 or so. Tightly baffled decks have always struggled in the north east. I see a lot of guys still with them double cutting to get good results. Most of us have now gone to X-Factor and Velocity style decks.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 07-04-2013, 10:37 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMLC View Post
The Gravely Pro-Stance doesnt have the X-Factor deck. You may want to post this in the X-Factor cut quality thread. Most open style decks do not mulch well because they process huge volumes of grass quickly. Allowing for great cut quality in most all conditions, especially wet and at speed. I have never tried mulching here as things are always wet. Morning dew does dry off here until 11 or so. Tightly baffled decks have always struggled in the north east. I see a lot of guys still with them double cutting to get good results. Most of us have now gone to X-Factor and Velocity style decks.
Posted via Mobile Device
Ya I posted it by accident in this thread, don't know if I could retract it or move it. Ill try. Thanks.

2013 Exmark Pioneer S 60" Ultracut (Review with pics) http://www.lawnsite.com/showthread.php?t=410996

2010 Badboy Outlaw 6100 31 KAWI

2008 Exmark Lazer Z AS 60" U/C 28 Kawi

2000 Exmark Lazer Z 60" L/C Kawi 4100 + hrs strong