Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 06-28-2013, 08:23 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

I applaud those that do. this is whats wrong with our society too many parents just let their kids sit around and play video games all day long. a little hard work and discipline learned at an early age is something they will carry with them throughout their lives. I could understand customers having an issue with it if the job done was sub standard, but if it is done right and they don't like it they don't need to be a customer.
Old 06-28-2013, 08:39 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Do you take your kid to work?`

My grandfather took me plumbing/ grading work and I take all 3 of mine. If they don't want to work they can sit in the truck with the air on.
All Echo hand helds
<- That's how I feel at the end of the day.
Old 06-28-2013, 09:04 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

I have taken my twins a few times this summer. My customers love it, a few have even given them a little $$$, where's my bonus! lol

One is buying a new fishing pole, the other is saving for a truck. They'll be driving soon, lord help me! :-)
Old 06-28-2013, 09:12 AM
LawnSite Member

My daughtrer 15, my son 13, are the best workers I have. My daughter can mow on the zt better than me, my son works like he's in his twenties. They both have been with me fo five years now. They want money so I wanted to show them how hard it was to get those iPads and coach purses. I get more complements on how good they work and people wished more people would work their kids. Mind you I do not make them work, they want too. I also get the real well off people who think they are to young to work. I started to work for myself because I wanted to be with them, I missed the first 8years of my daughters life traveling for the man. Anyways they are the best help I have and I love them so much, and I would not trade this for anything....
Old 06-28-2013, 10:02 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

My daughter is 15, my son 12. I'll have her help me once or twice a month. My son helps me for a couple of hours a day, 2-3 days a week. In this heat, the load they help carry goes a LONG way and I make sure I tell them how much I appreciate it. Of course, they expect a little something for their efforts too. My son thinks he should get 1/2 - and says it with a grin, of course.

And the post above about the third-generation 8 year-old should be nominated for post of the day. That's what it's all about.
Old 06-28-2013, 11:39 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Yes, but she's 32 now.
Old 06-28-2013, 03:21 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

My oldest son has gone in the dump truck to the pit but I couldn't have them running around a job while we were working, maybe in a few years.......
Old 06-28-2013, 04:06 PM
LawnSite Member

My boy (20) is helping me right now. He's looking into becoming a Fire Fighter and I'm all for it. Told him you won't make a lot of money but you will make a ton of friends and respect.
Husq Blower
Ford F250 7.3 Diesel
5x14 Trailer
In God We Trust!
Old 06-28-2013, 04:09 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

and free tanning
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 06-28-2013, 09:09 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

When I as a little kid (starting around 3 or 4) my dad had a lawn business. He bought me a Little Tikes Bubble Mower like this one.

He would walk long with his Gravely walk behind mowing the lawn. I would walk a few ft. behind him with my little mower "helping out". When he needed to refill his gas he would pretend to pour some in my mower.

When I got a bit older he found me a lightweight electric trimmer, and I would run around trimming while he mowed.

I loved the time I spent with my dad, and cant wait to have a little son.

My dads customers thought it was great, that I was out helping my dad. Never had any complaints, but that was before a kid that did physical work was considered child abuse by some.