Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 06-28-2013, 08:51 AM
LawnSite Member

Best methods products to get rid of MOSQUITOES

I would like to pick your thoughts on on killing mosquitoes either by spray or by other methods. I am responsible for the maintenance of several hundred acres of park land in a municipality and have occation where I need to address large quantities of biting mosquitoes. We have been blessed with a wet spring here in Michigan and so far a wet summer, but many of our events are marred by this problem. Any ideas on what to spray, what to spray with or what and how to use. Also any links on equipment or chemicals would be of great help. Thanks Randy
Old 06-28-2013, 10:57 AM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ozziesstang View Post
I would like to pick your thoughts on on killing mosquitoes either by spray or by other methods. I am responsible for the maintenance of several hundred acres of park land in a municipality and have occation where I need to address large quantities of biting mosquitoes. We have been blessed with a wet spring here in Michigan and so far a wet summer, but many of our events are marred by this problem. Any ideas on what to spray, what to spray with or what and how to use. Also any links on equipment or chemicals would be of great help. Thanks Randy
I understand the need to control mosquitos now with a spray, however for future reduction of mosquitos you must have a more comprehensive plan.

I sent you a PM for some advice on safe & effective materials to use on public lands.

The nation that destroys its soil destroys itself.
Franklin D. Roosevelt

Last edited by phasthound; 06-28-2013 at 11:01 AM.
Old 06-28-2013, 11:20 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Get your Michigan mosquito category license. Part one is to get rid of all the stagnant water pools and swamps, if you can. Drain, or fill in. If not, add flowing water as fountains or aeration features to keep up a mild agitation to prevent larval growth. Add fish or minnows to eat the larvae. Also you can add "Mosquito Dunks" or the commercial version of same, (bacteria that kill larvae). Mow most areas so that mosquitoes have no place to hide and more wind.

I prefer back pack mist blowers for mosquitoes. Permethrin or similar works. Truck-mounted version for large jobs.

For large areas--helicopter sprays are most efficient. You may need an aerial applicator. They can cover an acre a minute.

And you are right--mosquitoes can spoil a golf game or tennis match, likewise the flower show or soccer game.

Last edited by RigglePLC; 06-28-2013 at 11:23 AM. Reason: add
Old 06-28-2013, 02:41 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Bifen IT. Best and cheapest skeeter killer out there.
Ariens Rear Tine Tiller
(6) Trailers:
5x12, 6x12, 6x14, 8x16, 7x18, 6x22
Asus Transformer Infinity TY700 Tablet
Galaxy S3
Bananalogist

If you think it's expensive to hire a professional to do the job, wait until you hire an amateur.

Red Adair
Old 06-28-2013, 03:16 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RigglePLC View Post
Get your Michigan mosquito category license. Part one is to get rid of all the stagnant water pools and swamps, if you can. Drain, or fill in. If not, add flowing water as fountains or aeration features to keep up a mild agitation to prevent larval growth. Add fish or minnows to eat the larvae. Also you can add "Mosquito Dunks" or the commercial version of same, (bacteria that kill larvae). Mow most areas so that mosquitoes have no place to hide and more wind.

I prefer back pack mist blowers for mosquitoes. Permethrin or similar works. Truck-mounted version for large jobs.

For large areas--helicopter sprays are most efficient. You may need an aerial applicator. They can cover an acre a minute.

And you are right--mosquitoes can spoil a golf game or tennis match, likewise the flower show or soccer game.
Several of us (myself included) have many certifications for pesticides and being a municipality we do partake in storm, ditch and stagnant water treatment throughout the city as part of our annual mosquito larvae kill program. We are also members of the counties mosquito control activities and the west Nile program.
The parks we have are large and heavily wooded and unfortunately surrounded by residents which make mass helicopter spraying an impossibility. We also have a large number of day camp kids in the parks this time of year with parents who request us NOT to use pesticides or herbicides of any kind where the kids play which also lends to my problem. I guess my options are limited but am interested in some of the product suggestions listed here for smaller applications mainly for staffers and functions where consenting adults would agree with the careful use of such chemicals. May have to come in early and use the backpack tank blower. I thank you for your suggestions.
Old 06-28-2013, 07:53 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

There are organic pesticides which work well for repelling mosquitoes, especially when applied with backpack mist blowers.
I just did a search of your park system & indeed it is extensive. I'll be glad to help you set up a program.

The nation that destroys its soil destroys itself.
Franklin D. Roosevelt

Last edited by phasthound; 06-28-2013 at 07:57 PM.