Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 06-28-2013, 11:48 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Congrats on the EAS! I was an 0311 from 2003-2007. Fun times, but being a lifer was not an option for me!

Your on the right track! Attack your plan and stay with it! The private sector is tough to grasp....especially grunts. I had my years of ups and downs, and finally decided business for myself is the best thing for me.

Stay with it, stay focused, and when times get tough, never forget your a Marine. Semper Fi.
Old 06-28-2013, 03:38 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Callahan's Lawn Services View Post
Jasonhc73, this is exactly what I am talking about. Granted I started out with a 6x10 enclosed trailer with a push mower and weed eater from wally world, I saw the potential within my first month and went and snagged a new exmark pioneer and some used redmax handhelds. Everything I am working towards while I am still active duty is pay off ALL of my equipment, so far I owe 2500 on my mower and 600 on my brand new 8x20 enclosed I just bought. The thing is most people want to stay in the military just for the paycheck and benefits. Those are the individuals that I feel has 0 ambition to get out there in the real world and bust their but to make their mark. I, myself have planned this over the course of 12 months and have met with a very good CPA and fellow entrepreneurs. Without this information it would be easy for me to stray from my plan and make detrimental mistakes which could ultimately cost me my business. I am so excited about investing more time into my business to nurse it to where I want to be.
I take a bit of offense to the zero ambition remark. I started ,built and sold businesses in three different assignents. I had anywhere from 3 to 7 guys, fellow troops working for me. It kept them out of trouble, taught them life lessons and put extra cash in their pockets. They all needed CO approval and had to keep up their duties to a high standard. I padded several IRA accounts very well with those businesses. I earned two achievement medals for my efforts. Too say I or any of my troops had zero ambition is an insult. How many troops do their job and head straight for the club every day? Not us, we saw opportunity and took it. I had a waiting line for guys wanting to join us. Deployments and rotations caused isssues but we adapted and overcame. I sleep well knowing my business could burn tomorrow ,but I will still get that check and full medical until I die. Further I made the most of my military career and collected a vast array of extra training designators and held dual MOS when I got out. I would do it all again in a heartbeat. My only regret was I didn't get that last stripe but I did finish with a diamond. Probably my greatest achievment. Developing young troops and giving them every opportunity to make the most of the military still swells my chest with pride.
Posted via Mobile Device

Last edited by Patriot Services; 06-28-2013 at 03:43 PM.
Old 06-28-2013, 07:10 PM
LawnSite Member

PatriotServices,

I believe he just made a blanket statement. Not every lifer falls into that category, but I felt the same way as he did when I was in the Marine Corps. Most of the SNCO's seemed to just want the paycheck and benefits. They were the biggest sh!t bags on the gun line. Again, this was most, but not all.

YUT!!!
Old 06-28-2013, 10:41 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Callahan's Lawn Services View Post
Here I am sitting through transition classes about to be released from the Marine Corps with an honorable discharge at the end of the year, the thought working for someone else is almost frightening. I see other people here worrying about how to secure their future for their self and family. I see this and I get this overwhelming drive to do everything I can to succeed in this industry. Some call it motivation but man this has really opened up my eyes that most people have waited till the last of their active duty and have no backup plan in place. I just want to thank all of you for the helpful advice and encouragement. I'm glad that I beleive that I'm on the right track so far and its directly from researching topics on this site.
Thank you for your service sir...PM me if you need help with starting/growing your business.
Old 06-28-2013, 10:55 PM
LawnSite Member

Semper Fi from Oregon! 83-87 0311 1st MarDiv.

Always glad to see fellow Jarheads join up in the Green Industry. Attention to detail and indestructible drive to succeed!

Just wish I could get a few more on my team.

Any Former-Marines in Oregon can PM me for job ops.
Old 07-01-2013, 08:47 AM
LawnSite Member

No harm was intended by stating the " 0 ambition" comment. I know as well as everyone that there are some folks that re-up merely for job security, ie. paycheck, benefits etc. I absolutely love the security and my job as well as putting on my uniform everyday but I just have a drive to be something more. My ultimate goal is to not be rich, not to have a fleet of trucks or anything big but most importantly being successful and enjoying my job.
Posted via Mobile Device