Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 06-28-2013, 11:56 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Mid season calls

Anyone getting them yet? I must have got about a dozen calls in the past week. Only landed 3 of them. The ones that seemed worth doing. Most common reason given to me was "My lawn guy stopped showing up"!
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 06-29-2013, 09:07 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

I've gotten them before but I'm actually glad not so far this year.
Old 06-29-2013, 09:07 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Yes, I always wonder why the stopped showing up. Was laziness, lack of resposibility, or was the customer a pita. I always ask who was doing it, then I have a credit card on file for any billing "issues."
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 06-29-2013, 10:09 AM
LawnSite Member

I've got quite a few in the last week or two. This late in the season I bump the rates up a bit and only take stuff near lawns that I'm already servicing.

One lady I added this week said that her previous lawn service told her they would trim and edge weekly, but rarely did. After looking at the lawn I'm not sure they had trimmed or edged all season.

Soon after finishing her lawn another lady from down the street walked up to me and said her lawn service hadn't shown up in 2 weeks and she needed somebody reliable. I ended up with two new lawns in a neighborhood I was already servicing.
Old 06-29-2013, 06:56 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SomervilleLawncare View Post
I've got quite a few in the last week or two. This late in the season I bump the rates up a bit and only take stuff near lawns that I'm already servicing.

One lady I added this week said that her previous lawn service told her they would trim and edge weekly, but rarely did. After looking at the lawn I'm not sure they had trimmed or edged all season.

Soon after finishing her lawn another lady from down the street walked up to me and said her lawn service hadn't shown up in 2 weeks and she needed somebody reliable. I ended up with two new lawns in a neighborhood I was already servicing.
perfect, that is always a bonus
2010 Ford F 150 Super Crew 4X4
2011 Walker MTefi 26hp 52"
2013 Wright Sentar Sport 36"
2013 Wright Sentar X 52"
2014 New Holland T4050 95 HP Tractor/blower
2013 New Holland T5050 95 HP Tractor/blower
2012 New Holland T5050 95 HP Tractor/blower
2011 New Holland T4050 95 HP Tractor/blower
Old 06-29-2013, 07:08 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

I get atleast 10+ calls a week still. I don't pick up many of these as customers. i picked up a few the past couple of weeks. for some it seems like since its getting hot they rather somebody else cut, and that is fine.. i don't mind the short term customers because money is money.
Old 06-29-2013, 07:46 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vanderhoff Landscaping View Post
Anyone getting them yet? I must have got about a dozen calls in the past week. Only landed 3 of them. The ones that seemed worth doing. Most common reason given to me was "My lawn guy stopped showing up"!
Posted via Mobile Device
I'm getting alot of calls for shrub trimming and random people just not wanting to mow their lawns in the heat so they waited 'till it got real high then call me, wanting it done real cheap. Needless to say it doesn't happen. Funny thing is, they almost always lie on the phone about how tall the grass is....but I adjust my price accordingly when I get there and they can take it or leave it.
Old 06-30-2013, 09:19 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom-N-Texas View Post
I'm getting alot of calls for shrub trimming and random people just not wanting to mow their lawns in the heat so they waited 'till it got real high then call me, wanting it done real cheap. Needless to say it doesn't happen. Funny thing is, they almost always lie on the phone about how tall the grass is....but I adjust my price accordingly when I get there and they can take it or leave it.
Yeah I got a similar call about that too. Lady said that her last "kid" didn't offer it. I gave her my price and she didn't say a word, she turned around and walked away and went in her house. Smh!
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 07-01-2013, 11:58 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Almost all my calls involve people saying their lawns looking like crap and they wanting me to fix it. I am a one man crew and pretty busy so I refer most to other companies. I did 4 quotes for weekly mowing last week and none have contacted me since. Bummer.
Old 07-03-2013, 12:31 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

They do not last long. If you can't connect with them immediately they tend to call the next guy at this time of year. We had mower issues and rain issues last month that cost us between 20-25 leads. We just couldn't get to them quickly enough. So the mid seasons have been good to us in the past, now that I am moving the cut days and spreading them out over 4 days we should be ready to snag any that come our way this summer. I am hoping to pick up 40 more this summer.