Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 06-30-2013, 11:08 AM
LawnSite Member

I am currently putting 300 lbs of urea into a 400 gal tank. I think there is a myth about slow release nitrogen once it is the solution. I use a feed grade 46-0-0 and uflex, had the uflex left over is the only reason that I am currently using it. Mix at a rate of 200 urea and 100 uflex per batch. Spray at 1.5gpm or a rate of 62 gal/acre. Will see some nitrogen burn in hot weather so adjust rate according to the temp.
Old 06-30-2013, 12:11 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by greendoctor View Post
For urea applied to a non irrigated lawn, I like 10 or more gallons of water per pound of urea. You can add soluble iron at label rates, up to 1/2 pound of potash and your common herbicides that permit mixing with liquid fertilizers. Sprayed urea greens grass up fast and fades in 21-30 days. It is not something that can be expected to last all season and it should not be double dosed in hopes of getting more life out of it. It should be applied lightly and often. What kind of grass is this going on? Cool season grasses should not be getting a lot of nitrogen in the summer. The time to feed is in the fall.
I agree with Green Doctor on using a high volume of carrier when applying urea fertilizer. Because all my yards are irrigated I do cut my rate to 5 gallon per thousands. The more carrier the more for giving a spray is. You get no stripping etc with higher volumes.

Recently trying to force grow I mixed 50 LB of 46-0-0 urea in a 50 gallon skid I have on a trailer for mixing special jobs. At 3 gallon per thousand I sprayed a 7 K common Bermuda lawn in the rain to try and Kick it. That was 1.5 lbs of N per thousand and a lot of rain. The leave tips turned brown giving a brown hue to the lawn until it was mowed. Now the common Bermuda needs mowed twice a week, but it is sending out runners and filling in nicely. BTW This application was in addition to my standard Fert Program. BTW I also mixed in 0.10 oz per thousand of Roundup as a Growth Regulator to get more lateral growth.

"TG doesn't give a rats ass about being "Responsible" as long as sales/production quotas are met. That's it in a nutshell. A recipe for disaster IMO." Ted Putnam 2/28/14

You can lead a Donkey to water but you can't make the Jackass Drink

"As Americans you have the right to be stupid." John Kerry

"Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid.” John Wayne.