Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 06-30-2013, 11:28 AM
LawnSite Member

Resolved. Scag has taken it back. New vanguard on the way.!!
Old 06-30-2013, 11:56 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by leftyjoe View Post
Resolved. Scag has taken it back. New vanguard on the way.!!
Wonderful...please check the speed on the new mower and let us know how it does. Most people don't care about speed (or at least pretend they don't), but in a day's cutting it makes a great deal of difference in productivity. You will find the Vanguard to be a much more powerful engine, please come back and tell us the difference you do find.
Old 06-30-2013, 01:47 PM
LawnSite Member

I like speed but I like QOC too. I used my gps to get my speed and it only measured 5-6.2mph tops. I don't know what's going on, bu it was supposed to be 10mph or "up to." Guess I will have to do a little more research on her. I know the cheetah 61" and above does 12mph low gear and 16mph high gear, but on the new 52" and 48" it says up to 10.5mph. May e it is the same for my mower.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 06-30-2013, 01:56 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by dropctony View Post
I like speed but I like QOC too. I used my gps to get my speed and it only measured 5-6.2mph tops. I don't know what's going on, bu it was supposed to be 10mph or "up to." Guess I will have to do a little more research on her. I know the cheetah 61" and above does 12mph low gear and 16mph high gear, but on the new 52" and 48" it says up to 10.5mph. May e it is the same for my mower.
Posted via Mobile Device
That's it in a nutshell.

If a guy cuts crap grass, or stiff easy to cut southern grass that allows top speed, then great, but for those of us in the north or elsewhere that have finer yards to maintain, and grass that doesn't cut qcleanly quite so easily, speed is a distant second place consideration compared with the finished product. Too, as I've said many times on here, speed isn't usable in very many places due to landscaping or lawn shape, but even where we can open up the speed a bit, the QOC simply must come first to stay in business, and you will never get that at top speed regardless of who makes the mower, on northern turf especially.
Old 06-30-2013, 01:59 PM
LawnSite Member

Also, looking at my fx691v it says 24hp on the motor and in the manual and test data in kawasakis website I says it maxes out at 22hp. What's up with this?
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 06-30-2013, 02:18 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by puppypaws View Post
Wonderful...please check the speed on the new mower and let us know how it does. Most people don't care about speed (or at least pretend they don't), but in a day's cutting it makes a great deal of difference in productivity. You will find the Vanguard to be a much more powerful engine, please come back and tell us the difference you do find.
Will do, puppy.
Old 06-30-2013, 08:06 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by dropctony View Post
Also, looking at my fx691v it says 24hp on the motor and in the manual and test data in kawasakis website I says it maxes out at 22hp. What's up with this?
Posted via Mobile Device
Scag and Hustler are still both selling machines with engines labeled under the old rating system. The manual is correct under the new system. None of the manu's or dealers will tear off the old stickers to replace them with the new and correctly rated labels. The old numbers look better to potential customers who don't know anything about the rating system change.