Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 06-29-2013, 11:42 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I use a flat fan on the wand in my T3000 and have only had on overspray in which I killed a few flowers.

As far as calibrating my battery powered ShurFlo backpack, I am sane and I do it all the time. Measure out the Sq. ft., measure the flow rate and you calibrate it. Just like anything else you use. If you don't calibrate it then you are NUTS.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 06-30-2013, 06:31 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

I had an orange cone nozzle on it but I broke that anyone know what that was or a part number it had no marks on it worked great added some distance. That I won't get with the fan.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 06-30-2013, 10:59 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

A flat fan has its own dangers. If in motion, you move it sideways, instead of forwards you triple the dose and you get funny line patterns. And don't ever try to spray a weed without sweeping it across the target. If your hand is not moving, you leave a very high overdose in the shape of the spray pattern.

Round is better if that respect. And adjustable has certain advantages. Big cone--little cone. Big weeds--little weeds.

Ric is right, calibrate it if you change nozzles. Spray a gallon of water on concrete. Then measure the sqft you covered. Calculate your ounces per thousand sqft. If it is too much higher than your tank mix for boom spraying--you need to use a smaller nozzle.
Old 06-30-2013, 11:42 AM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by americanlawn View Post
Bucket check? Stop watch? Flat fan when you're driving 3-5 miles per hour? >>> You're looking for off-target drift probs there my friend.

Flat fan nozzles are all we use regarding battery-powered back pack sprayers.

Ride-on units = cone nozzles. Several reasons for this. Won't go into detail.

I think it all depends on what equipment one is using. We run three T3000's everyday. Small lawns = push spreader + SRS-600 battery-powered back pack sprayers. Often times treating over 100 lawns per day.

We pretty much have it down pat, and I've been doing this since 1978. Just sayin'
Yes Larry, a Bucket check, Stop Watch(device that counts time), a bucket or large measuring cup. These are essential when calibrating. That is the only way you can determine how much product is being applied in a given amount of time from the equipment you are using.

Larry, "This ain't my first Rodeo"

ANY EQUIPMENT USED FOR SPRAYING MUST BE CALIBRATED to know how much product is going to be applied to a given area. This includes Backpacks too Cadzilla....

Who in their right mind is going to just grab a piece of equipment whether old or new out of the box and just start spraying pesticides.

There is no way to keep an adjustable cone nozzle calibrated when it is constantly being repositioned from mist to straight stream. Anyone who says there is, is STUPID. In fact, this is the main reason we don't use cone nozzles on our ride-ons. If we are applying at 5 mph, we are doing it with a boom or floodjet nozzle. We do not spot spray weeds with the wand and have the machine moving at that speed unless out in the open

I agree with FDLawnman, and if we were overspraying or had drift that was constantly off target onto customer ornamentals or vegetables, we wouldn't be in business for long.

IMHO, the adjustable cone tip is good for only 2 things. Spraying cracks in sidewalks with R-UP and/or spraying ornamentals with insecticide/fungicides to"drip"....
Old 06-30-2013, 02:09 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RigglePLC View Post
A flat fan has its own dangers. If in motion, you move it sideways, instead of forwards you triple the dose and you get funny line patterns. And don't ever try to spray a weed without sweeping it across the target. If your hand is not moving, you leave a very high overdose in the shape of the spray pattern.

***I've seen this happen more often with a cone nozzle than a fan tip.

Round is better if that respect. And adjustable has certain advantages. Big cone--little cone. Big weeds--little weeds.

***Big weeds>wider pattern>finer mist>less product
Small weeds>narrow pattern>coarse droplets>more product in smaller area= greater potential for burn.
If you are adjusting between the 2, what rate are you spraying???

Ric is right, calibrate it if you change nozzles. Spray a gallon of water on concrete. Then measure the sqft you covered. Calculate your ounces per thousand sqft. If it is too much higher than your tank mix for boom spraying--you need to use a smaller nozzle.

***I'll agree that you must keep the tip moving in a sweeping motion and with a fan tip it must not be perpendicular to the cut of the fan or you will definitely burn...common sense dictates that. If someone can't figure that one out on their own, they really need to find another profession.

Cone nozzles get moved, bumped, adjusted very easily. This does not happen with a fan tip. Results are much more predictable when you are using equipment that can be calibrated and the spray pattern remains constant from one location/job to the next. JMO
Old 06-30-2013, 04:32 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I totally agree with Ted on the flat fan. I believe the chances for a screwup are greater with a cone nozzles than with a flat fan. I use a cone nozzle with RU and that is it. Like Ted says, if you can't handle a flat fan on a ride-on you need to find a different profession.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 06-30-2013, 08:37 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by FdLLawnMan View Post
I totally agree with Ted on the flat fan. I believe the chances for a screwup are greater with a cone nozzles than with a flat fan. I use a cone nozzle with RU and that is it. Like Ted says, if you can't handle a flat fan on a ride-on you need to find a different profession.
Posted via Mobile Device
You have to realize some people who apply pesticides are NOT professionals.

"TG doesn't give a rats ass about being "Responsible" as long as sales/production quotas are met. That's it in a nutshell. A recipe for disaster IMO." Ted Putnam 2/28/14

You can lead a Donkey to water but you can't make the Jackass Drink

"As Americans you have the right to be stupid." John Kerry

"Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid.” John Wayne.
Old 06-30-2013, 08:44 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

This thread cracks me up...lol

It's no wonder you guys can't produce and are always behind.

How many customers do you guys have besides Larry. Fifty? Combined?
Old 06-30-2013, 10:12 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

What does how many customers I service have anything to do with calibrating a backpack sprayer. I work just as fast with a calibrated sprayer as with that is not. The difference is I know I am putting out the correct amount of product with the calibrated one. It doesn't take that long to calibrate a backpack.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 06-30-2013, 11:40 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cadzilla View Post
This thread cracks me up...lol

It's no wonder you guys can't produce and are always behind.

How many customers do you guys have besides Larry. Fifty? Combined?
I'll admit, we don't calibrate our backpacks that often. Reason is, we use them for the same purpose day in and day out. We never change tips except to replace worn out ones with new ones...same tip.

Cadzilla, I have no beef with you except that using the right equipment for the job and calibrating it is one of my pet peeves and is one of the things that separates professionals from the rest of the crowd. I think some of them are Circus side shows because it looks like their lawns are being sprayed by Clowns. I have some pictures of some of their work I need to post to prove it.

All Larry does is talk about his 3000+ customers and how he's been in the business since 1978. That's fine and dandy. I've seen people that do some things wrong longer than that...If what he does works for him...great. IMO, he is the one taking chances with what he does and I plainly stated the reasons why. But, he doesn't need to come on here and make a post like I'm some F'ing idiot for the way I run my spraying operation, and neither do you.

I never talk numbers, especially in public. It's really nobody's damned business but mine and I don't ever want to come across as a braggard. Since you think we do nothing but sit around and calibrate our equipment, I will enlighten you. We cover an entire county in central Arkansas. Many of our customers are in a rural setting so many times routes are not tight and lawns tend to be large (average is 16K). I have 2 employees 35+ hours per week doing production and I do all sales/service calls and production when I can. We have 700+ customers and knock them out every 49 days. Add extra apps,tree/shrub and some aerations and we've got plenty to keep us busy....besides calibrating our equipment.