Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 07-01-2013, 11:53 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

warm season bermuda

In Oklahoma. Have license, do spraying for weeds more than anything but venturing more.into the fertilization area... was a good schedule for bermuda here? How many times a year... a general idea. Which type of fertilizer... all my customers look great. Very healthy and lush but they lack that deep green color... will some iron fix this issue, some chelated or just bump up my iron number on my fertilizer when I buy? Thinking about having some custom blends made at the local co-op. What should I go for..like a 36-0-8?
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 07-09-2013, 04:27 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Nobody has any opinions for.me?
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 07-21-2013, 11:44 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

You can obtain color without throwing on top growth.
Look into AMS. 21/0/024S Ammonium Sulfate.
Old 07-22-2013, 12:44 PM
LawnSite Member

http://aroundtheyard.com/home1/artic...uda-bible.html
Old 07-22-2013, 07:07 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

wrager,
good little snippit for reading but in reality, not all shoes fit the same feet.

woodlawn,
36/0/8 is just a imbalanced fertilizer with 36% nitrogen and .08% potassium.
I don't buy fert like this unless it has at least 50% SRN and or iron and sulfur blended with it. Be sure to blow off the prills after application.
It does depend on the type of bermuda grass growing, but the truth is the watering, the feeding and the cutting. Supplemental nutrients help keep the color. You will need to feed them on a schedule not dictated by the customer.
Old 07-23-2013, 03:33 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I'm not really sure why this thread has taken the turn it has, so we'll try to get it back on track.

1) The old rule of thumb is that bermudagrass fertilized at 1#N/M/growing month will produce a good surface. You could go higher or lower, but most universities broadly recommend that bermudagrass lawns be fertilized at 3 to 5#N/M/yr.

2) What analysis do you use? The answer will vary based on your equipment and other nutrient needs. What are your soil test P and K values? If you have a small enough customer base, maybe you could test all the lawns. If your customer base is too big for that, maybe you can test a random sample of lawns to get an idea of what you're facing.

If you need no P and not much K, that 36-0-8 may work well for you. Understand that an 18-0-4 analysis will do the same thing as the 36-0-4, but you'll need more of it.

3) How many times/yr do you apply? This part is kind of customizable. If your business needs dictate frequent applications, you can apply monthly and provide top notch service for your customers. If your business dictates 8 week applications, you can do this, too, and still get great results.

4) Turf color may have something to do with nutrient status, but it could have a lot of other factors contributing to it. Your soil test will have a lot of valuable information on this. Don't overlook the role that species and cultivar play here. A common bermudagrass lawn will never look quite the same as an improved common or a hybrid lawn, no matter what kind or how much fert you apply.
Old 07-24-2013, 07:08 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

woodlawn,
Skipster makes a good point in his response.
Let me allow you some insight on my choice of ferts like those mentioned above.
Cost, Cost, Cost.
Nitrogen has been bastardized by the industry because a person mentions fertilizer and 13/13/13 comes to mind for everything.
If you have done a soil test....great......if not...........great. Generally, I don't have time to spend taking samples of all my lawns unless there is a problem. Then fix it.

When I apply a lb. of N. over a M.........I look at the real cost of a lb. of N. in a given bag. I do not buy overly expensive rip off fertilizers that do nothing for hype.
When it comes down to fertilizers for your specific grass of choice, you will need to get with a good supplier and one that is willing to sit down and speak of the differences. If they are willing to sell you a product, they better know about what they are selling.