Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 07-01-2013, 11:20 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by excav8ter View Post
Hey guys, i have a 25 year old guy working for me this year, running my Kobelco sr35, Taki TL130 and a 650J.....he NEVER lets stuff cool down just stops and turns of the key with no cool down time at all....sometimes I start a piece, and the throttle is still wide open. He has been operating for about 6 years, and is amazing in the TL 130 and the dozer, but this bugs the he** out of me. I have always been taught to let the equipment cool down for a few minutes before shutting it off. Especially with turbo charged equipment.
I always give my iron time to warm up and cool down....

Thoughts?
Helll if he is working for you and you want the engines cooled down before turning them off, then that's what should happen. If you want him to dance around the machine 3 times before shutting it off, then so it shall be written. Personally if its the machines been working hard, I let it cool down before shutting it off. What can it hurt, to let it idle a few extra minutes.

Proudly running CASE and Takeuchi equipment.
Old 07-02-2013, 12:06 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ksss View Post
Helll if he is working for you and you want the engines cooled down before turning them off, then that's what should happen. If you want him to dance around the machine 3 times before shutting it off, then so it shall be written. Personally if its the machines been working hard, I let it cool down before shutting it off. What can it hurt, to let it idle a few extra minutes.
Those were exactly my thoughts...you 're the boss. I let my trucks and equipment warm up and cool down. Longer on the warm up. It actually drives me nuts when I'm running a machine and I have to shut it off because someone comes up and has a question. Sometimes they have to wait or talk loud.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 07-02-2013, 12:09 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Get him to read the owner's manual.

From a Kawasaki manual:

Warming up - After the engine starts, move the throtle lever on the quipment to halfway between FAST and SLOW. To warm up an engine, run it for 3 to 5 minutes with the throttle lever in the same load position (halfway) before putting the equipment under load.

Stopping the engine - Move the throttle lever to the SLOW position. Keep running at the idle speed for about one minute.

I always go by the book...
Old 07-02-2013, 12:10 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

I grease my machines at the end of the day and leave them idle during that time to cool down... also cycle stuff while greasing so it needs to be on. I always let stuff warm up. At lunch I let the machine idle down a minute or 2 or more depending what I was doing.

Ever started an excavator when it's 0* out? I let the motor warm up for 10 minutes then I slowly work the hydraulics until it isn't so thick anymore. My DX180 has a fuel heater and hyd heater on a toggle so that helps too.

Usually stuff doesn't get shut off till the end of the day in the winter. Not worth it. Very cold starts are never good for a motor.
Old 07-02-2013, 12:25 AM
LawnSite Member

i let my 2154 deere processor cool down while i grease at the end of the day in the summer.. i usually reverse my hyd engine fan and blow there dust out of the rad then let it idle, gives the oil more time to run through the coolers and cool down. Seems to work. don't have any crisp hoses or o rings and we work in hot hot dry sumer conditions
that extra 15 minutes or so a day does add up up on a hour meter over a year. But with jdlink now, Its easy to show high load hours and idle hours and not to worry much about whats on the clock but how hard the machines actually worked in its life.
Old 07-02-2013, 06:11 AM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by EH909 View Post
What about when you only do like a 15-30 minute task at a time or someone stops you to talk etc?
Even if someone stops to talk to me, I leave it run. I will get out and talk if they need to have a short conversation.
Old 07-02-2013, 06:13 AM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Yesterday i got on my mini X.....i was about to turn the key and fire it up, when i noticed that the throttle was still wide open from the last time he was on it.
Old 07-02-2013, 07:05 AM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Quote:
I agree. It's your equipment so it shoulc be run your way.
Old 07-02-2013, 07:10 AM
LawnSite Platinum Member

This is straight off Banks web site. I will ad that on the Turbo drag cars we run the engine is shut down quite often at the end of a full pass when going through the finish line and the turbos will be red hot and glowing.

You have to let a turbo-diesel idle for two minutes before you shut it off.

FACT
This is a current myth that has a basis of fact stemming from many years ago. It also has a kernel of truth regarding today's turbocharged gasoline engines that operate at higher peak exhaust temperatures than turbo-diesels. In the early days of turbochargers, the turbo shaft was supported by a babbitt bearing that could seize, or even melt, if the engine was shut off immediately after sustained boost conditions where the turbocharger would "heat soak". A two minute cool down at idle allowed the turbocharger to dissipate any remaining spinning inertia, and the oil circulation cooled the bearing and prevented oil "coking" in the bearing area. Turbochargers haven't used babbitt bearings for over 30 years, and today's oils resist coking. Synthetic oils won't coke, period. With a turbocharged gas engine, it's still good insurance to let the engine idle for 30 seconds to a minute to allow the turbo or turbos to dissipate any inertia and to cool the bearing area to prevent oil coking, especially if the engine has been worked hard just prior to shut-down. Of course, using quality synthetic oil eliminates this potential coking problem.

Today's turbo-diesels are a different story. There is really no reason to "cool down" a turbo-diesel these days, but you won't hurt anything by doing it either. You can still find people who swear you have to do it, but the myth is fading. Maybe they just like to sit and listen to the radio.
Old 07-02-2013, 09:29 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Per 2014 Kenworth truck manual with Cummins engine. As soon as the truck has built proper air pressure you are free to put it in gear and go. As soon as you can safely come to a complete stop and set the parking brake on the truck you are free to shut it off. Now obviously if it is 0* outside you may want to warm the truck up a bit, and obviously you don't shut a machine off at wot...