Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 07-01-2013, 12:10 PM
LawnSite Member

PITA customer: drop or not

I bid a job for this guy who was leaving town to go to iraq as a private contractor. He ended up leaving earlier then expected & his wife clearly had a hard time dealing with his leave. Here are the issues I have been having with her since he left.

1. When he left I cut $40 out of their first month payment in exchange for them paying in cash (their checks are from an out of state bank so my bank charges $15 to cash them & it takes a week to get paid from it.) She has now started paying in check but paying at the cash price)

2. After our first mow we mowed her fescue at 3.5 inches, she called us asking if we had even mowed it (even though she was home when we mowed). We agreed to lower our deck a half inch for her, and came out the next day to re-mow it free of charge.

3. The following week she called us saying that we missed spots with the mower. Once again I came back out & her issue was with clovers that were in her grass. I explained to her that the cloves sprouted below our cut level & that unless they were over 3 inches that the mower would not get them. she then requested that i drop my deck another inch to get them. I explained to her that this was not a good idea as it would be bad for that grass & would scalp in spots with uneven terrain. She then requested that I take my weed eater and go through the area by her driveway to get the clovers. Reluctantly I agreed.

4. She continues to always have an issue with our weed eating beacuse we weed eat at the same height that we mow at??????

5. The last two times I was at her home she had a car parked in the yard, and then called me beause the area under the car had not been mowed??? she wanted me to come out and take care of it but i refused.

6. It has been actively raining here in NC for over a week. She still wanted me out friday to mow but i told her I was not about to come out and mow in a heavy rainstorm. She apperantly found someone else who would mow it in the rain, and her yard now looks horrible. She still wants me to maintain her yard though. The month she payed for is now up although I do owe her one more cut. At this point im thinking about going ahead and calling her & letting her know that I am done. I will give her one weeks notice & do a final cut.

O ya, and the last time i was out there her dog bit me which seriously cramped my style.

Thoughts? customers like this anger me because will no doubt bash my service even though I feel like I have been more then fair to her. Btw I feel my work is top notch & none of my other accounts have any issues with the service.

Start Date 3-1-15
Old 07-01-2013, 12:26 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Do you really need "advice" on this one?
Old 07-01-2013, 12:26 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

I would have already said bye bye. Now If her husband was soldier who was deployed, I may have a soft heart. But in this case he went over his choice as a contractor($$$$$$$).

I would drop her fast, quick and in a hurry.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 07-01-2013, 12:41 PM
LawnSite Member

Thanks naa I dont believe I really needed advice on this one but it just bugs me, my post was more of a rant then anything & to see if anyone had any other ideas. Im through with her. She called me not even 10 min ago to ask about talking on my price since the guy she had cut it in the rain only charged her $40 for her acre yard compared to my $75 (even though my price includes spraying for weeds, and she was not happy with the guy who mowed it for $40 because he skipped her back yard). I told her that I would be out friday to "talk on price" but that she may want to prepare to find another guy because I am not going any lower. I will tell her that i can provide the level of care she wants for $120 a mow otherwise she can bite me. At $120 she would be worth my time, any lower bye bye.

Start Date 3-1-15
Old 07-01-2013, 02:11 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Cancel immediately.
Ariens Rear Tine Tiller
(6) Trailers:
5x12, 6x12, 6x14, 8x16, 7x18, 6x22
Asus Transformer Infinity TY700 Tablet
Galaxy S3
Bananalogist

If you think it's expensive to hire a professional to do the job, wait until you hire an amateur.

Red Adair
Old 07-01-2013, 02:20 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

What she said.
Old 07-01-2013, 02:30 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by monoshock View Post
What she said.
Now that's funny. I just spit my drink on my steering wheel.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 07-01-2013, 03:19 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by monoshock View Post
What she said.
lol "Run Forest Run!!!"
Old 07-02-2013, 12:22 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I'm going to play the other side of things. Here is why.

If he is a contractor, he leaves a lot and goes overseas for extended periods of time. Chances are 90% that he was former military. IF thats the case, his wife has NO CLUE what she is doing. Coming from the military side, I can say most of the wives are clueless on how to handle things while their husband is gone. And with her "holding down the fort", she doesn't want to get her husband upset and she wants to be in control. It's also very hard on her because she can't depend on her husband anymore.

You are correct though, customers like this will slam your business name if they aren't happy. But try explaining to her your policies without getting mad or frustrated with her. Try to get her to uderstand your business and what you do. Explain that cheaper isn't always better....like when the other guy cut in the rain and ruined her lawn. And as a worst case....say "I'm sorry, I was just doing what your husband wanted me to do."

If she is unreasonable or too hard to work with, better for you to cancel than her.
Old 07-02-2013, 12:34 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Never mind her complaining. It's the dog bite that's the no-brainer to move on.