Register free!

Old 07-02-2013, 05:01 AM
LawnSite Member

batch of 3rd millenium TTTF sucks!

Been using 2nd millennium TTTF seed for years! Its the most excellent fescue I have ever encountered. With its DARK green color and fine leaf texture, there is no need for bluegrass anymore. So, with many happy seedings, last fall, 2012, 2nd millennium ran out. In its place, the nursery put 3rd millennium. I thought, wow! There is actually something better than 2nd millennium? Boy was I wrong. It germinated "okay" last fall. But this spring, 2013, 3rd millennium TTTF has been horrible! Stunted grass, off color. Did all my soil testing before hand so no problems with soil. WONDERING IF ANYONE ELSE HAS ENCOUNTERED PROBLEMS WITH 3rd Millenium TTTF seedings last fall? (my first clue not to by "3rd" millennium should have been the "other crop" percentage, which was higher than my acceptable standards). Just wondering, if other crop was a fine fescue, that could explain why its dying in summer sun, but it would not explain stunted off color during the cool spring...even in full sun, right?
Thanks, Bryan, zone 5
Old 07-02-2013, 11:05 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

3rd Millennium sounds OK judging by the online advertising and promotional material.
However...it does not claim to be fast germinating (like 2nd Millennium). And the most important attribute seems to be SRP (Self Repair Potential).
It is possible that it is a whole lot different--but they used the name because the name worked so well and had such great results in years past.
Hopefully the slower fill-in will be compensated by the rhizomes which help it to creep and fill-in densely--or maybe the rhizomes are just not long enough to make any difference. When the ad says, "Mixes will with Kentucky or Texas bluegrass"...maybe they mean...it looks horrible without mixing with Kentucky bluegrass. Sorry--no personal experience.
http://www.turfmerchants.com/pdfs/tu...-millenium.pdf

When they say "inherent drought, shade, and traffic tolerance of all tall fescues"...it sounds to me like it is below average for tall fescue in those qualities. If it was best or better--they would say so.

Last edited by RigglePLC; 07-02-2013 at 11:06 PM. Reason: add