Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 07-03-2013, 01:12 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bln View Post
Yes, I always wonder why the stopped showing up. Was laziness, lack of resposibility, or was the customer a pita. I always ask who was doing it, then I have a credit card on file for any billing "issues."
Posted via Mobile Device
I generated a few mid season callers this month. Slow payers buh-bye.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 07-19-2013, 05:07 PM
LawnSite Member

i never get why people lie about the condition of their lawn over the phone...like we're not going to see it when we get there anyway.
and as far as other companies not showing up...I picked up three accounts together on a street where I already had a couple midway through last season because their previous company became unreliable and then just stopped showing up altogether. all three where pretty wild the first time I cut there. i priced accordingly and gave a price for regular weekly service all three have turned out to be great customers, though i never anticipated that a year ago....ya never know
(2) 2012 bobcat 48'' classic pro wb's
stihl br 600 backpacks
husky saws, trimmers, etc...
18' Doolittle enclosed trailer
monster 18hp truck loader
yanmar vio40 excavator
Old 07-19-2013, 05:22 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Outdoors_Unlimited View Post
Slow payers buh-bye.
Posted via Mobile Device
I know it's irritating. I do. But as long as they pay I just don't get why so many of us kick slow-payers to the curb when times are good. Most of our customers pay within the first few days...I've got no problem waiting a few weeks for the slow ones to come through.
Old 07-19-2013, 05:32 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Nice thing about Florida I get calls all year long. Right now we are in full on rainy season which will last all summer through to October for us we don't get the summer drought a lot of you get. Right now most of the calls we are getting are because their current provider is behind.
Old 07-20-2013, 12:52 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caddyshack Lawn Care View Post
I know it's irritating. I do. But as long as they pay I just don't get why so many of us kick slow-payers to the curb when times are good. Most of our customers pay within the first few days...I've got no problem waiting a few weeks for the slow ones to come through.
i agree....on a case by case basis though. I had a lady last year who owed me a bunch for several months. she would give me a hundred or so here and there but it was still adding up. normally i would suspend service but she had recently been laid off and was prompt with payment the year before so i was pretty confident i'd get my money eventually. if the majority of customers pay promptly a couple slow paying accounts shouldn't break you. as long as i feel like i'll get paid down the road and i have plenty of other revenue coming in i try to look at it as money in the bank. but if its a new customer and they pay slow from the beginning i'm not likely to extend them any credit
(2) 2012 bobcat 48'' classic pro wb's
stihl br 600 backpacks
husky saws, trimmers, etc...
18' Doolittle enclosed trailer
monster 18hp truck loader
yanmar vio40 excavator
Old 07-20-2013, 01:36 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I've had two calls where the last guys just stopped showing up. One of them had been mowing his lawn for over three years. ?
Old 08-03-2013, 11:01 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caddyshack Lawn Care View Post
I dump them, because they weren't the wait a couple weeks type. More like wait a few months. All new clients get service suspended after 30 days of a delinquent account.......then I have to play catch up getting their lawn back in shape from the week or so they were suspended.
Old 08-03-2013, 12:41 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

In reference to customers lying about the condition of their yard. When i hear "it's not that bad", i know it IS bad. My first reaction to people wanting to switch is to defend the service who has been cutting their yard. If it has been raining, I'll tell them that i'm backed up too, and to give them a little time to catch up. When they try to dance around the subject of regular service, and are frantic about getting this one cut done, I usually decline. I just dropped a lady after she agreed to a schedule. I told her that we have to stick to it, or I'll have to move on. When she refused to stick to it, i dropped her. In her mind, she thinks that i don't have a memory. 6 weeks later i get a frantic call at 6:30 a.m.. She acted like i didn't drop her, and that she was doing me a favor by calling me early enough to give me notice to cut her yard, THE SAME DAY. Are you kidding? They think you can wait for six weeks, get their call, and then pay all your bills with their check. Thick skull or something else. Ofcourse i didn't do it.