Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 07-03-2013, 12:47 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Homelite Super XL-12 help needed.

Hey all,

Okay I was given a 1966 Homelite super xl 12 saw by my grandpa that hasn't been run in about ten years or so. I'm leaning towards the "or so". It did have some gunk in the tank in a few places but not too bad. The carb was clean and it has good spark and compression but it doesn't seem to be getting any fuel. I shot some cleaner down the port in the carb and it blew most of it out when I spun it over so it has suction. There is a big piece of felt down one side of the tank which I'm guessing is some sort of filter. Put a full tank of fuel in it and pulled on it for a while, no dice. I looked in the tank when I got home from work before heading out to mow and the gas level had dropped quite a bit but there are no leaks. I'm going to give it another day before I try again maybe that felt will have absorbed enough gas to start pulling some fuel in.

Also has anyone ever had any luck repairing a stripped out spark plug hole with a heli coil? There are enough threads left to hold it and there is no compression loss that I can tell but I will have to address this issue at some point, but I may have a shop do that.

Sorry for writing a book but I've never tried to do something like this before and I want to have this running for my dad who grew up using this saw with his Grandfather and his dad.

'99 Dodge Ram 2500 reg cab long bed
'91 JD Lx172 38"/ bagger
'11 JD X300 48"
22'' '66 Western Auto Wizard
21"push mower/w bagger
Stihl KM 90 w/trimmer,tiller, and hedge trimmer
Husquvarna BT130
MTD 3.5 HP edger
AgraFab 17 cb ft trailer
Precise-Fit Areator
Random dethacher
Precise-Fit lawn sweeper