Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 07-02-2013, 10:08 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDGlandscape View Post
That is a good comparison, I do like the new 6.2. BUT The price difference isnt really as big of a thing as people seem to think.

Per year I put on around 22k a year towing a trailer. mostly work, some of it for camping or boating. But still. on average i tow around 8k but sometimes well over 10 k.

I have a 5.4 gas ( not much worse on gas vs 6.2)

Here is my reasoning why the cost difference isnt that big of a deal if you keep the truck for at least 2 or 3 years.

COST OF GAS ENGINE

22k per year. avg 7.8 mpg. $3.5 per gallon

22,000/7.8= 2,820.51 gallons per year.

2,820.51x 3.50=9,900 dollars a year to keep fuel in the gas engine.

COST OF RUNNING DIESEL ENGINE

22k per year. average 14.5 mpg. $3.82 per gallon

22,000/14.5= 1517.24 gallons per year

1517.24x 3.82= $5795.85 dollars a year to keep fuel in the diesel engine.

The difference per year in fuel is 4104.15 per year. so in just two years you have paid the difference in the cost of the engines and then each year after that you are saving money. Not to mention you get get at least 25% more resale value with the diesel engine when you decide to sell it

And the biggest and single most deciding factor in the differences is how they drive. I thoroughly ENJOY driving my deisels, I do not like driving my gas engine, especially towing. I feel like a road hazzard. It isnt fun at all. I love being able to tow anything I want and accelerate decently and actually drive up hills without redlining it and screaming the engine as you SLOW down.

All that being said, I do like the simplicity of the gas engines.
ive got a new f350 with 6.2, 4.30 gears, gcw 19-21k depending on tank fill,it
averages daily 10 mpg and it was 10.4 mpg no ac, these are hand calcs

most guys pulling same loads with new diesel ive talked to claim 11-14 mpg, since I don't own one myself its speculation
Old 07-03-2013, 08:38 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDGlandscape View Post
That is a good comparison, I do like the new 6.2. BUT The price difference isnt really as big of a thing as people seem to think.

Per year I put on around 22k a year towing a trailer. mostly work, some of it for camping or boating. But still. on average i tow around 8k but sometimes well over 10 k.

I have a 5.4 gas ( not much worse on gas vs 6.2)

Here is my reasoning why the cost difference isnt that big of a deal if you keep the truck for at least 2 or 3 years.

COST OF GAS ENGINE

22k per year. avg 7.8 mpg. $3.5 per gallon

22,000/7.8= 2,820.51 gallons per year.

2,820.51x 3.50=9,900 dollars a year to keep fuel in the gas engine.

COST OF RUNNING DIESEL ENGINE

22k per year. average 14.5 mpg. $3.82 per gallon

22,000/14.5= 1517.24 gallons per year

1517.24x 3.82= $5795.85 dollars a year to keep fuel in the diesel engine.

The difference per year in fuel is 4104.15 per year. so in just two years you have paid the difference in the cost of the engines and then each year after that you are saving money. Not to mention you get get at least 25% more resale value with the diesel engine when you decide to sell it

And the biggest and single most deciding factor in the differences is how they drive. I thoroughly ENJOY driving my deisels, I do not like driving my gas engine, especially towing. I feel like a road hazzard. It isnt fun at all. I love being able to tow anything I want and accelerate decently and actually drive up hills without redlining it and screaming the engine as you SLOW down.

All that being said, I do like the simplicity of the gas engines.
Numbers

I get 15 straight local. I do not drive with a lead foot, no 20' trailer filled end to end.

A diesel is close to a $10,000 option.

I can know how to maintain and repair gas.

I know you have to put in expensive additives with the new diesel's emission systems.

That new diesels will have to go through periodic maintenance or shut down on the road:

http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/...rryi/?page=all

Not sure if that article applies to 1/2 ton to 1 ton pick ups.

Gas is $3.70.

Diesel $4.20.

I will drive 6,000 miles this year at 15 mpg.

Gas $1,480 year.

Diesel $1,680 year at same 15 mpg.

$10,000 diesel option, more expensive to repair and maintain for me. No fuel savings but the opposite. Even if a diesel go me 20 mpg at a $1260 a year cost. That is a $220 a year savings.

$10,000 / $200 = 50 years to reach the break even point. Not all people are going up steep grades pulling 10,000 + lbs every day. They need to do the math with numbers that apply to them.

I am not a fan of the noise and smell of diesel. I have not yet had the need to justify using a diesel. Some do. I suspect many on get a diesel as a SP compensator. I see to many 3/4 DW shiny, not a scratch never used for work diesel pickups parked at the mall or supermarket.

Remember their is a difference between a need and a want.

I do not care if it takes me longer to to get up to speed. Those extra 2 seconds every time the light turns green is not worth $10,000.

Once the desired mph is reached, whether 30, 40, 50 mph is still 30, 40, 50 mph gas or diesel.

That important to hold speed up a grade, then you down shift.
Old 07-03-2013, 09:44 AM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 32vld View Post
Numbers

I get 15 straight local. I do not drive with a lead foot, no 20' trailer filled end to end.

A diesel is close to a $10,000 option.

I can know how to maintain and repair gas.

I know you have to put in expensive additives with the new diesel's emission systems.

That new diesels will have to go through periodic maintenance or shut down on the road:

http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/...rryi/?page=all

Not sure if that article applies to 1/2 ton to 1 ton pick ups.

Gas is $3.70.

Diesel $4.20.

I will drive 6,000 miles this year at 15 mpg.

Gas $1,480 year.

Diesel $1,680 year at same 15 mpg.

$10,000 diesel option, more expensive to repair and maintain for me. No fuel savings but the opposite. Even if a diesel go me 20 mpg at a $1260 a year cost. That is a $220 a year savings.

$10,000 / $200 = 50 years to reach the break even point. Not all people are going up steep grades pulling 10,000 + lbs every day. They need to do the math with numbers that apply to them.

I am not a fan of the noise and smell of diesel. I have not yet had the need to justify using a diesel. Some do. I suspect many on get a diesel as a SP compensator. I see to many 3/4 DW shiny, not a scratch never used for work diesel pickups parked at the mall or supermarket.

Remember their is a difference between a need and a want.

I do not care if it takes me longer to to get up to speed. Those extra 2 seconds every time the light turns green is not worth $10,000.

Once the desired mph is reached, whether 30, 40, 50 mph is still 30, 40, 50 mph gas or diesel.

That important to hold speed up a grade, then you down shift.
I go through that much in fuel in a month with my 1/2 ton dodge.....
Posted via Mobile Device