Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 06-29-2013, 10:52 PM
LawnSite Member

Liming will help. With the low Mg reading you can use dolomitic lime, which is higher in magnesium. What was the Ca reading? Try applying some epsom salts (magnesium sulfate) in water to a patch and see if it affects the color. Don't do the entire lawn as the sulfer is acidifying.
Old 07-03-2013, 07:01 AM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RigglePLC View Post
Actually you are leaving out the most important factor...nitrogen. When was it last fertilized with nitrogen? Do you mean it was green last year and light green this year? Is it Kentucky bluegrass? Perennial ryegrass? Fine fescue? Adequate moisture? Actually...you have had weeks of heavy rain storms in New York state.

Treat a small area with fertilizer--see if it improves. Also correct the acid soil problem, of course.
Nitrogen can be determined most reliably with a "tissue test". Costs 10 times more, but its better.
Sorry I have not given an update, as I have been "offline for awhile. Lawn is KBG, Rye, and Fescue. Yes we have got a ton of rain. Probably 15 inches for the month of June. My lawn has always looked light for the last few years so that is why I had the soil tested. I have also not limed in many years so it makes sence. Last fert. was about 6 weeks before the soil test. I just put down 50/1000 of dolomitic lime (280 lbs. on about 14000 sq. ft.)and going to see what happens. It is going to take time I know. Thanks everyone.
Old 07-03-2013, 01:33 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by twomancrew View Post
I'm assuming the soil test showed N to be fine as OP didn't mention it and it comes first on analysis. Also I figured someone had poured on the N and nothing else-maybe it was you. Dropped the PH and locked up the HUGE amount of N already there. Make sense to you or should she go and put down some more N, and totally ignore the test results?

Edit:And Riggle I know you are a good guy and intelligent from other posts you have made so take that with salt.
I need to scan a copy of my soil test sheet and post it here so you guys can take a look and see what you think.
Old 07-03-2013, 04:26 PM
LawnSite Member

Here is a copy of my soil test sheet......
Attached Images

Old 07-03-2013, 05:52 PM
LawnSite Member

This is the lime I put down at a 50/1000 rate.
Attached Images

Old 07-03-2013, 08:16 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Your buffer pH is 6.08. You should use this as your base start number. Attached is a chart which should explain if you believe there are nutrient uptake issues at 6.08.http://www.lawnsite.com/attachment.p...1&d=1346119711

The thicker the color bar in the pH number range. The easier the uptake. 6.08 looks good.
The lime and fertilizer nutrients per/1000 sq are suggested as an annual application not per application. This should maintain consistency of availability in the soil.