Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 07-02-2013, 04:53 PM
LawnSite Member

Walker MBS Help

Hello to walker owners I wanted to purchase a new walker MBS 29 hp EFI with a 60' or 74' my dealer has good service better than grasshopper I would just like to hear from someone who has this style mower and what they would recommend pro's and co's on this particular mower thanks
Old 07-02-2013, 07:44 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Hey there, your thread caught my eye.... I do not own the super bee (yet) haha..... but I do currently have a brand new 26 EFI GHS however. I have also been operating Walkers for the last decade and I can honestly tell you that Walker is an amazing company. Not only from the standpoint of their products but also how the company operates and what they believe in. I have extensively researched the MBS and I even though I do not own one (again, ...Yet,) Maybe I can still help you out. What type of mowing are you going to be doing with it? Were you aware that the 74 needs a special adapter? As much as I love Walker, you most certainly get what you pay for... which is a lot! haha.. Not sure if that adapter is more $$$....
Old 07-02-2013, 09:01 PM
LawnSite Member

I don't know walker is coming out to my house to do a demo this week sometime when it stops raining I will be mowing super thick heavy tall fescue blends I am worried about the motor over heating since its air cooled I don't know
Old 07-02-2013, 09:04 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TDLConceptsllc View Post
Hello to walker owners I wanted to purchase a new walker MBS 29 hp EFI with a 60' or 74' my dealer has good service better than grasshopper I would just like to hear from someone who has this style mower and what they would recommend pro's and co's on this particular mower thanks
We run 2 of them and absolutely love them and like Armsden stated Walker is a great company to deal with. We have a 27hp and a 23.? diesel. Both have the 52" rear discharge/mulching deck which I would highly recommend to you. The 27hp unit originally came with the 60" SD deck which was nice but the 52" combo deck just does a cleaner job quicker. I know it's a smaller deck but it is much more productive for we don't have to worry where we are discharging the clipping and there is less clean up. I would not recommend the 74" deck since it was originally designed for use on the smaller machines and it's a much lighter duty than the two other MBS decks. Plus like Armsden also stated you will need an adapter to use it. I did hear a rumor that Walker was working on a 62-64'' ish version of the combo deck for it but have not seen one yet.

As for this style of mower a would take it hands down over a mid-mount. They are very nimble, great on hills, and good for trimming under low branches and such. Also they are easy to maintain. Just flip the deck up to get to the blades. Raise the body up and everything else is there to get to easily. This style of mower performs so well that we bought 3 of the smaller MB's for our smaller properties. I think Walker is really on to something with these mowers.

I could go on for days with the pro's but I have only a few cons. First con is the $$$. They are pricey but you get what you pay for... Second con would be part's availability but it sounds like you have a good dealer so this shouldn't be a problem for you. We use to have a good dealer but when he stopped selling them it kind of left us out in the cold. I have to order everything now from a distributor which adds a few days to the down time. The next con would be that the MBS will take up a little more reality on your trailer than a mid-mount. Not a big deal but something to consider.

I did have a few issues with the first MBS but everything was taken care of through Walker. It was one of the original units to be produced and as with any new model it takes a while to get the bugs out. Sure enough Walker stood behind their product and took care of all the issues. The newer MBSY (a first production diesel unit) only had one issue and Dean Walker personally made sure that I got a fix for the issue. All part of the development process but still I believe that you will only get this level of attention from a company like Walker. They are always a step ahead with updates and testing to make sure their machines are top notch.

Last edited by joemower; 07-02-2013 at 09:10 PM.
Old 07-02-2013, 10:19 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Joe do you have any pictures of the 52" cut quality? More so on thick/wet yards. I'm still knocking the mbs around in my head and I'm just worried about the 52" being able to process thick grass in one pass.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 07-03-2013, 03:01 PM
LawnSite Member

Joemower how many hours does your walker have on it the gas powered one and how hard is it to get used to the steering controls and do you like that are they really that easy to operate thanks sir
Old 07-03-2013, 03:35 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CurbAppealKS View Post
Joe do you have any pictures of the 52" cut quality? More so on thick/wet yards. I'm still knocking the mbs around in my head and I'm just worried about the 52" being able to process thick grass in one pass.
Posted via Mobile Device
Yes I do have some pics CurbAppealks. I will PM you later this week when I have a time to find them and upload them for you. Bit busy today and tomorrow with the 4Th.
Old 07-03-2013, 03:49 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TDLConceptsllc View Post
Joemower how many hours does your walker have on it the gas powered one and how hard is it to get used to the steering controls and do you like that are they really that easy to operate thanks sir
Not sure TDL I haven't looked lately but I would assume it's 800hrs or so. My men are still out with it today so I'll have to let you know when it get back in the shop.

As far as the steering goes I've been using Walker for 20 some years now so for me no time at all. Most of my new guys will pick it up pretty fast. Usually they can run the machine fairly well within 20 minutes or so but it may take a few days to get to the point where they are fluent with it. It also depends on the person you are trying to teach. It's always harder to teach a person who originally learned on a mid-mount than it is to teach someone with no experience at all... I really like the Walker steering over a traditional mid-mount. It takes less effort and is more stable over rough terrain.
Old 07-03-2013, 06:13 PM
LawnSite Member

Thanks alot joe Your very helpful i have ran the old school John Deere F935 front 72" mowers desiel for my family's property for years and always having trouble with them many people say when we buy a walker it will be night and day difference . Another thing if the John Deere is 72"inch deck and the walker is 60" should I get the walker in 74" or it's not that big of a difference I know the 60"inch has to cut better higher RPMS so no double mowing all the time right? Thanks sir
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 07-03-2013, 08:07 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Sorry to hijack tdl but I just have a quickie for joemower... Joe buddy, huge fan of your threads and posts... I have always wondered what type of length you can get away with cutting and have it still look good... What are you using these for mostly? Commercials? With the MB on the residentials? Do you use the Super's on residentials?