Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 07-01-2013, 09:58 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Trust me I have looked at the chevys and gmc's, thats my first love. However, the problem is my bank wont finance under 07 for more than three years. That sent my payment through the roof. The difference is this one is at a local dealer and Im sure they could finance or find financing. I like the 06's the best but I also like the 07's. LBZ or LMM work for me, i like the body style of both. I haven't really looked into or know really where to look for others to finance. This bank is who all our vehicles have been done through and we have a great repoor, they also have my business account.

22 Years Old
10 Years in Business

-Commercial/ Residential
-Full Service.. Lawn Care, Landscaping, Estate Care, Snow & Ice Management

http://www.facebook.com/MMDLC

As of Dec. 2013 College is over and I'm full time!
Old 07-04-2013, 12:27 AM
LawnSite Member

You'd be money ahead getting the 6.0. They can be bullet proofed (or more truefully made right) for around 5k.

That's a tranny build for a Cummins ram or Duramax.
Old 07-07-2013, 09:27 AM
LawnSite Member

Buy the 6.0, you'll be on here in a few months asking how to fix it. They have a bad rep for a reason. I know there are many who haven't had issues, but they are ticking bombs. The only thing ford has going for them is that they build good trucks; the engines that they put into them leave much to be desired. I have 2 7.3's and they are slow, very slow, so slow that it makes me hate them. And working on them is a pita. They have too many sensors on them and each one is almost $200. I can't even imagine how much more complicated their newer engines are. I can't stand Chevy for other reasons, but they make a good engine and a good tranny and since you like Chevy that may be a good choice for you. I don't think going into debt 23k (or even 15k for that matter) for an older truck is a good idea, but it's your choice.
1999 F350 7.3 PSD flatbed
20' enclosed, 16' open, 14' dump
3 Walker MT 48", Toro Z500 60",
Toro proline 48", Dixon ZTR 42"
Stihl small equipment
SC licensed pesticide applicator
Old 07-07-2013, 10:51 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

It would be a big mistake to buy a 6.0 that you have to finance for more then 3 years. One repair or "making it bullet proof" could be one or two years of payments. It would not make sense to me, a modern diesel could hurt you financially.
Old 07-07-2013, 11:24 AM
LawnSite Member

Buy the 6.0, get the ARP Headstuds & upgrade headgasket with the EGR Delete and call it a day. Get a Chevy/GMC enjoy injector problems, get a automatic dodge and enjoy replacing transmissions. Most vehicles have problems, you need to learn to adapt and overcome them.

Me - I want a 97 Ford F350 7.3L Regular Cab Long Box.... Why? Cause I love those trucks & it was my first one ever.
Old 07-07-2013, 11:30 AM
LawnSite Member

Want to buy my 97 250 ext cab?
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 07-07-2013, 01:19 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tecster View Post
Get a Chevy/GMC enjoy injector problems
Only if you get a LB7('01-'04). The LLY, LBZ, LMM, and LML trucks are some of the most reliable out there. There's a reason why the 6.0L & 6.4L PSD's are so much cheaper than a comparable Duramax or Cummins.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 07-07-2013, 01:41 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gallihergreen View Post
Only if you get a LB7('01-'04). The LLY, LBZ, LMM, and LML trucks are some of the most reliable out there. There's a reason why the 6.0L & 6.4L PSD's are so much cheaper than a comparable Duramax or Cummins.
Posted via Mobile Device
Cheaper really?

Anytime I price out my dream truck (one ford, one gmc) the Ford is normally 5-6k cheaper.
Old 07-07-2013, 08:56 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tecster View Post
Cheaper really?

Anytime I price out my dream truck (one ford, one gmc) the Ford is normally 5-6k cheaper.
Thanks for proving my point then.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 07-08-2013, 12:29 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gallihergreen View Post
Thanks for proving my point then.
Posted via Mobile Device
I think he may have had a typo. It may depend on area, because around here the fords fetch a much higher price than any other brand, trust me I looked for a loong time.

And there are ways to make the ford deisels very reliable. Just like any brand they have their weaknesses, it just happens to be that the weakness with the ford is with navistar.

I think no matter which brand you go with there are problems to be had. Just join the appropriate internet forums that have to do with those trucks to address the problems, not here so much (no offense to anyone, we are landscaping experts, other forums have truck experts). Lots of people relay what they "think" they know about the engine, where in all reality you can have a very good truck when you know what to look for.

I bought into all the 6.0 nightmare talk until I did a lot of my own research, and found out that I would not mind buying one at all. So far I do not regret my decision. I absolutely love my 6.0. There is nothing else like it EDIT: in my price range** 6.7 seems like a great engine.