Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 07-04-2013, 03:37 PM
LawnSite Member

Started a good size job yesterday...

So they kept asking when we were going to start and kept getting pushed back because of the rain. I finally told him a day we were starting and then he said he could take some vacation day to be there while we work. I didn't think much of it since I actually like when the customer is around so I can ask questions when we need to. They are close to sixty or in there sixties.

So yesterday we started shoveling out the rock around the house, jack hammering out all the concrete patio and walls, and plantings. In the all day he was standing and watching us working. Pretty much over my shoulder the whole morning and afternoon. He only went inside when we went to lunch. Then his wife gets home at 3 or 4:00 and they both get out lawn chairs to sit and watch us with a drink in there hand.

He isn't telling us how to do the job but is just so crazy they have to watch every second of us working. I know I like to watch the construction process but we have only be taking things out so far.

Also the neighbors across the street had their lawn chairs out in the driveway watching too.

Have any of you dealt with this before? I have had older people watch for short amounts of time but not the entire day. This is going to be a long 2 weeks if he keeps this up.
Old 07-04-2013, 03:39 PM
LawnSite Member

I bet as soon as it get's hot, they'll be done watching.
Old 07-04-2013, 03:39 PM
LawnSite Member

This is just like when we had to do a sod job along a road for the DOT and the engineer was there the entire time watching us work to make sure is was correct and would be up in our face the entire time.
Old 07-04-2013, 03:43 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Might have to resort to guerrilla tactics. Dry cutting and running equipment near them all day comes to mind.

I had a deaf customer do this, it was especially bad since he couldn't hear trucks and equip moving around. Just tell them it isn't safe, they could get hit with something etc
Old 07-04-2013, 05:52 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Shed Landscaping View Post
This is just like when we had to do a sod job along a road for the DOT and the engineer was there the entire time watching us work to make sure is was correct and would be up in our face the entire time.
That is the PE job. to be on site and watch the job.
Old 07-04-2013, 07:41 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

This kinda thing drives me crazy too but, i always just stop and remind myself that this project is probably the MOST exciting thing that has happened around there in a long time and not to mention a decent chunk of change out of their pockets as well.
Old 07-04-2013, 08:04 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

if it gets too bad always pull out the "my insurance requires that anyone not with the company....."

I have had several "older" clients come out and watch us mow and mow and mow and then talk and talk and talk.
Old 07-04-2013, 08:16 PM
LawnSite Member

Yes I am sure it is exciting for them since its a luxury item that they are wanting to do. Unlike things you have to pay for things that aren't as much fun to pay for like septic systems, electric, plumbing and things you don't see when its done.

They sat under the tree when it got hot out.

Yes I have had the one that like to talk and tell stories and keep thinking if they realize they are paying me to talk to them.
Old 07-04-2013, 08:33 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

They're obviously bored if that's all they do. I would politely say to them that "it bothers me to have you watch us all day". I have had experiences like this before and personally I tell them not to hang around. My first company we worked for the owner was on us the whole time, even out there with a level. My boss told one of the guys to drop a wheelbarrow of stone dust in their pool. He did.
Old 07-04-2013, 11:09 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

These people are putting food on your table. I would NOT use the "insurance" line.

They have probably saved hard for this project and are probably very excited. Just like watching a baby be born.

Be nice to them. They may have a lotta friends at church and will be sending more work your way. It's only a few days of your life, you'll live.

We did a job about a month ago. I swear, and this is no exaggeration, that they lady must have taken at least 500 pictures of us, and at least 4 hrs of video. We were only there for 4 days. At the end of the 2nd day I started to wonder if we were on some type of undercover Dateline investigation. The flash was constantly going off through the house windows. By the 3rd day it was really really irking my nerves. I could not scratch my b-lls, or pick my nose, because I never knew if the camera was on me. And I had to keep checking my hair in the mirror to make sure it wasn't out of place.

I kept quiet. Smiled. And collected my checks. That's why I was there. For the checks.

"People Throw Rocks At Things That Shine"

My Equipment Brag List:

-1 CAT hat
-16 pairs of Hanes socks (the Heavy Duty model), many with holes.
-12 pairs of underwear, ranging from Joe Boxers to Jockey, many are in need of replacement. (no more photo requests please)
-hundreds of t-shirts. Some w/ grease stains, some torn & tattered.
-7 pairs of jeans, ranging from Levis to Polo to GAP. 1/2 of them have holes in 'em.
-1 belt
-1 pair of old worn out Nike shoes.

Last edited by DVS Hardscaper; 07-04-2013 at 11:18 PM.