Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 07-04-2013, 08:53 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles View Post
I think there is a big difference between wanting to run your business on Holidays and saying you have to. You may have a problem somewhere if you think you have to do something you don't want to when you are supposed to be self employed. One day or a few days off are not going to break you or make you rich. Most customers expect you to take off during Holidays.
I think life is supposed to have a balance of work and relaxation, all year around. Very important to being physically healthy. Very important to the family side of things.
You're a funny guy, what would you do if you had work lined up from here to no end?
And it rained the last 3 days so you didn't get much done.
You'd take the day off?
Really?

You'd lose customers?

Worse still, you'd wait another day so you can really slave because the grass in my necks is as high as the mower will tolerate and I mean to tell you I don't cut "short" grasses so you let it go one more day and you're going to be tarping and raking clumps, it's already real borderline and I have one or two that ARE going to kill me (we're talking HOURS for one yard) and you would wait one more day?

That what you would do?

Sorry man, I can't do that, it really can't wait another day.
I've had folks begging me to do other work for weeks now.

So at present I'd rather work a holiday than slave a work day.

Last edited by herler; 07-04-2013 at 09:02 PM.
Old 07-04-2013, 11:04 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

well i had planned on working today. i only had 2 yards to do but it has rained all day and 80% chance friday and saturday too. i dunno if i'll work sunday or just skip the 2 yards and do them next thursday. they are weekly cuts so waiting 2 weeks wouldn't be a huge deal. i'll probably have to call them and ask if they want me to mow their yard sunday afternoon or just wait until next thursday.
Old 07-04-2013, 11:16 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by herler View Post

"There is no such thing as failure. There are only results." – Tony Robbins

Enough Said...
Old 07-04-2013, 11:32 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by herler View Post
You're a funny guy, what would you do if you had work lined up from here to no end?
And it rained the last 3 days so you didn't get much done.
You'd take the day off?
Really?

You'd lose customers?

Worse still, you'd wait another day so you can really slave because the grass in my necks is as high as the mower will tolerate and I mean to tell you I don't cut "short" grasses so you let it go one more day and you're going to be tarping and raking clumps, it's already real borderline and I have one or two that ARE going to kill me (we're talking HOURS for one yard) and you would wait one more day?

That what you would do?

Sorry man, I can't do that, it really can't wait another day.
I've had folks begging me to do other work for weeks now.

I as an employee or an employer I would rather work extra time Mon Tue Wed to get Thursday off.

None of my customers would complained if I came a day early or late this week because they realize everyone wants to be with family for the holidays.

Because I worked longer days this week I just had 2 hours of work at one customer's house this morning, then 1.5 hours at another customer and I am done and off till Monday.

As it turns out wife and kids are off Friday and we will be having our 4th on the 5th at the beach, barbecuing.

Customer been waiting 10, 15, 20 days to get their lawn mowed one more day is not going to make the grass that much taller.

Not enough time to get mowing and up sell work done is poor business management. Either scheduling more work then you can do, doing work at to low a price is bringing in to much volume. Needing to improve production capability to meet volume or add more employees.

Also when one lives in an area where there is a lot a rain a business plan should be in place to handle weather conditions. Imagine living in Seattle and thinking rain is never going to cause problems.

Just the way customers living in Seattle know that the amount of rain they get is going to have their LCO playing catch up quite often.
Old 07-05-2013, 09:03 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

Saw a crew mowing a cemetery yesterday. On my way back home they were getting chewed out by someone visiting grave sites. Man that lady was pissed. The guy just kept backing up and she kept getting closer and closer. Glad I'm done for the week
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 07-05-2013, 09:15 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimslawncareservice View Post
Saw a crew mowing a cemetery yesterday. On my way back home they were getting chewed out by someone visiting grave sites. Man that lady was pissed. The guy just kept backing up and she kept getting closer and closer. Glad I'm done for the week
Posted via Mobile Device
I would have went off on the woman. It's not like you're going to wake up anyone and they sure as hell ain't havin a bbq.
Old 07-05-2013, 09:30 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Seems many customers are off today (friday) too. 4 day weekend. I haven't had 4 days off in a row for years.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 07-05-2013, 09:56 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Three gravely jobs today and I'm done for the weekend!
Worked till 2:30 yesterday finishing jointing an outdoor kitchen for a good customer.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 07-06-2013, 01:09 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 32vld View Post
I as an employee or an employer I would rather work extra time Mon Tue Wed to get Thursday off.

None of my customers would complained if I came a day early or late this week because they realize everyone wants to be with family for the holidays.
Yes...

It RAINED all three days here, Mon Tue Wed.
Not for lack of trying, I went out in between down pours, soon as it let up but it wouldn't stay quit...
I mean rain gear and all it rained on me so much, I got all of four lawns done all three days.

Thursday I mowed 7, would have got more done but I spent the morning working on my Z.

Today I left the house at 7:30a knowing I might have to drive several places before I would find a rental Z that could cut at UP to 5" (most mowers won't cut over 4") because MY Z mower is down (no, Thursday's fix didn't hold up). I drove to three locations before I found one, had to drive down town to get it.
A 52" Exmark LaserZ: $225 for the day.

Then I had to run back home because the blades were so dull I already knew, take it home, pull the blades, sharpen them.
Yes, on that $225 rental, the blades were dull and I mean so dull I don't think they had ever been sharpened.
And no they won't sharpen them nor will they give you one with sharp blades even if you ask, you can forget that.
Pot luck there, chances are if you ever rent a mower, the blades will be dull.
Remember that, because taking it home to sharpen the blades first adds another hour or two.
Oh, they'll be so dull one pass won't shape them up, try 4-5 passes and better have a bucket with cold water handy.
By now I had put 70 miles on the odometer.

Got pulled over by one of the cop hive that was out this morning, probably looking for early morning DUI leftovers from the 4th.
He let me go with a warning on my expired inspection sticker, the one I haven't had time to take it in to have it inspected.

By now it was time for lunch, I stopped by McD's, 10:38a
It was 11:30a by the time I got to my first customer's house.

Then I mowed 7 lawns with it, BIG lawns.
Put 6 hours on the meter.

Oddly enough the one customer I was dreading wasn't so bad.
But the last one, my own, was...

Tomorrow there's more lawns on the schedule than I can finish.
I have to bring the rental back, then I have an appointment at 9:30a.
It will likely be 11a before I get to my first customer's, and I have an 8p meeting which involves going home and showering so I have to hope I can get at least 8 done.

Last edited by herler; 07-06-2013 at 01:18 AM.
Old 07-06-2013, 01:26 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

Couple of things...

If all someone did was take Thursday off, fine by me.

But what I was talking about...
One of the places I went to look for a rental is just as busy as I am, at least as busy, maybe worse...
When I got there they had customers outside in the parking lot, more than a few, waiting...
I was one of them, it was 10-15 minutes past the time they should have been open.
You could see their mechanic's warehouse stock FULL of mowers (this place does repairs as well so a full whse = TONS of work).
I mean mowers lined up more than you and I want to try and count, just one after the other.
Guess they took a 4 day weekend...

Not a sign on the door, their phone would just ring, no message, no nothing.
That's the kind of thing, in my book, is going to come around and bite someone in the beee-hined one day.

But if you took off the 4th, we're good.
Cuz I'm not working Sunday lol

Well, maybe some maintenance.