Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 07-05-2013, 07:24 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

large new bid could use some advice

Long story short received a call from an athletic director of a local school yesterday. Here many good things about me and had few people refer him to me so he said he wanted to meet with me. They are needing a complete irrigation system installed on there high school football field. Asap! He said he did have to get a bid first since its school policy but he sounded as if I had the job if I wanted it... now for the ? I've done mainly repairs ad residential systems design and all... r
This scale is quite a bit.bigger but.. same theory really... he said they have 2.5" main, electric on site and other schools he's talked to has 3 sets of heads running down the full length of field?? That's what thew me is only 3 sets.. most heads prob can only get 40' of throw safely... ? Right wrong? At least without having to many zones to install. They had been using a reel till it broke 3 weeks ago and grass(Bermuda) hasnr seen any water since then. Nice field might I add. Anyhow here's what I'm thinking so correct me if I'm wrong.or give me your opinion on what I would do... I will go onsite today to test pressure and see the layout of everything... think using the 2.5" main to a 2" Wilkins rpz, go back up to a 2.5" main all the way to my mv which will be a 2". Continue on 2.5" line to my zone valves which will be 1.5" Icv's. Then move basically designed 5 zones running full length of field (360') Which gives me 10 heads spaced 40' apart. Field is 160' wide. That's my 5 zones @ 40' apart as well. Use a ESP lx controller, swing pipe 3/4" to all 5500 plus ss heads...??? Thoughts
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 07-05-2013, 07:54 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

You can find sports field designs on hunter and rainbirds websites. I would be very careful with pressure, I have seen psi up to 135 at sports fields. Mix 135 psi and 2 1/2 in mainline and you'll be in for a long project.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 07-05-2013, 07:58 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Would u install prv then and up size lines to help with that
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 07-05-2013, 08:03 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Upsizing the 2 1/2 in main will make it worse. I know that your thinking lower fps, but 2 1/2 in solvent weld joints will have a hard time holding up to high pressure. You would probably need thrust blocks etc, or go with gasket pipe.

Your going to need to test the water pressure at the source, don't text at a nearby hose bib as the water will have gone through a prv.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 07-05-2013, 08:05 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Thanks I'll remember to bring some fitting so I can hook up to it hopefully.. I'd like to syayvwith solvent just cause I've never used gasket pipe before... I've never had to install thrust block before either so I guess I need to read up and learn the proper way to use em
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 07-05-2013, 08:08 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Would u guys just not run the whole thing through a prv or would u use the higher pressure to your benefit? I'm thinking lower it down to 90 is ans go from there
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 07-05-2013, 09:05 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

I have always had the impression that one avoided placing sprinkler heads in a playing field if at all possible. I've seen designs doing football fields from the sidelines, with very-large heads.
Old 07-05-2013, 09:50 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Posted via Mobile Device
Old 07-05-2013, 09:51 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

http://rainbird.com/landscape/resour...eldDesigns.htm

Use larger heads like the falcon or 8000 series.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 07-05-2013, 10:15 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

google "football field sprinkler layout" and you'll get the mfr pages - and for some flukey reason, you also get the following as one of the image results - I won't name the source, and I hope no one else posts it, since I don't want them getting publicity, even from being justifiably slammed
Attached Images