Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 07-05-2013, 09:40 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

Sometimes, dealing with certain people is just not worth it, no matter how much profit is involved. That is one advantage of owning your own business. In my experience, once a pita, always a pita. Often the best approach is simply to kick them to the curb as soon as you realize you are dreading it when you drive up in front of their house. I had one for two years, that used Roundup everywhere. He had a 2 foot bare patch around his house, and would sweep this with a broom. It was nice to have limited trimming, but when it got dry, by the time you got done mowing, you and the mower were covered with dust. He wanted it cut as low as possible, his driveway was a pain to get my trailer into, and he was always griping about something. The final straw was when heavy rains were forecast and he wouldn't let me mow 2 days early (he was on a 10 day schedule). After I dropped him, I wondered why in the hell I put up with all that crap for as long as I did. He called several times after that, leaving messages on my machine, wanting me to come back, but I never returned the calls.

As for the "mowing lower" thing, I absolutely will not go lower than 3 inches, and that usually is only on a portion of the lawn, and only during peak growth. Normally I mow at 3 1/2, and if a customer asks for it to be mown shorter, I just say "sure" and drop to 3 1/4. I've only had a couple ever say anything further.

Last year, we were in a drought, and on the larger properties, I worked my way up to a full 4 inches as the drought progressed. I was mowing well after nearly everyone else in this area was done, albeit on an longer interval between mowing, and after Isaac dumped 3 inches of rain September 1st, it was like spring all over again within a couple of days.
Old 07-05-2013, 10:35 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Location: Down the road from where they used to make Saturn cars.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Groomer View Post
he stopped mowing her today,
he placed a bill outside her door,
he never liked her anyway,
he stopped mowing..her today.
(George Jones.)
That's worth saving.
2 Echo SRM-210
1 Echo SRM-225
Tanaka TCG22EASSLP
Husqvarna 125 & 150 BT
6.5' x 12 ' Trailer
Stihl 025 18"
Husqvarna 460 24"
Old 07-05-2013, 11:18 AM
LawnSite Member

I understand. However I've never ran into that problem other than on yards that are mostly weeds. My nice yards are mowed at the right length and the customers have always been happy.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 07-05-2013, 03:16 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I hear you, darn people demanding a cut height far lower than the recommended height, then its your fault once the grass fries under summer heat/drought

Good for you for sticking to your guns, sucks losing a client, especially one that you cut beside, but no point having your name on a lawn that will eventually fry
2010 Ford F 150 Super Crew 4X4
2011 Walker MTefi 26hp 52"
2013 Wright Sentar Sport 36"
2013 Wright Sentar X 52"
2014 New Holland T4050 95 HP Tractor/blower
2013 New Holland T5050 95 HP Tractor/blower
2012 New Holland T5050 95 HP Tractor/blower
2011 New Holland T4050 95 HP Tractor/blower
Old 07-05-2013, 03:52 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

I'm still amazed at homeowners who try to tell me what will work. They seem to forget that we've done this hundreds/thousands of times for years, and know how it will play out. So many times, i wanted to say something like ""You are going to ruin the best thing you ever had. Please let me do my work."" But, they insist on pushing their nonsense. You know that after you drop them, they will NEVER find someone as good or patient as you. They never see it. The last couple of weeks, i came real close to saying something like that to 2 customers who wouldn't leave me alone.

A while back, this lady always came out after i mowed, and sat on the edge of the garage. With a red face, i turned off my trimmer and told this lady that "it's not safe to sit out here when i'm trimming. I wear these glasses for eye protection, and i wouldn't want anything to happen to you." I'm not there to socialize. After i told her this, she still does it occasionally, because she can't understand that after i mow, i'm not done. She got pissed because dust went her way and gave me this evil look. Now, she's starting to nit pick; maybe because i don't want to talk to her? Who knows.

I dropped one lady because the wind blew and caused debris to get in her patio door. She called me and said "Now, you get back over here and blow!" I dropped her immediately, and later moved 4 doors down from her. Everytime i mow around here, she leaves in her car and tries to get my attention. She wants me back, and has been through numerous services.

You ever been in a situation where they are reprimanding you about something, and you know for sure that it is the last straw and you won't be back? You try to stop yourself from smiling, and start to not hear exactly what they're saying, because you know it's over.
Old 07-05-2013, 05:18 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Customers can be a pain, I like to thin them out with the bottom line, I have a few PITA that pay quite well to be PITA , I just smile knowing this as well.
Old 07-05-2013, 10:17 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

We all know they're cheap but we can't win this war, you can trust me on this one.

So...
The reason why I cut at 4" is so I can let it go two weeks because foot tall grass hardly phases a 4" high cut.

Contrary to popular belief, a high cut neither clumps nor does it make the grass need MORE cutting, it doesn't.
A high cut can be let go more time between cuts, because it clumps a whole lot less.

Some might think the grass grows faster, but it doesn't, grass grows pretty much the same.

The SHORT cuts always need more cutting.
More so after it ruins the lawn and the weeds take over.
Weeds grow faster than grass, that's a fact.
And you'll have to cut it more often.

I did have the above spawn the one or two nutcases who wanted me to come cut it as OFTEN as possible.
This, too, will ruin a lawn.
Too short, OR too often (or both).

And two...
This is one of my FAVORITE lines to customers who want it cut shorter:

Look, the grass is almost always near a foot tall when I come to cut it anyway, and the grass is a foot tall whether I cut it at 3" or 4" doesn't really make no difference, but your lawn looks a whole lot healthier.

Oh, we still get the arguments, believe you me it is by no means perfect.

Last edited by herler; 07-05-2013 at 10:24 PM.
Old 07-05-2013, 10:48 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

its ironic that I found this posting today, and read through it. First I had a customer today (she is a bi weekly customer with a lush lawn), and asked me to lower the height because its been growing faster, and she doesn't want to pay for weekly mowing. Im already giving her a decent price because she wants it bagged too.

Then I got a call on the phone, and another lady asked me to come by to give her an estimate to "mow her lawn". Sounded simple enough until I saw the overgrown property that was covered in downed tree limbs, dead trees and naturalized grass that was 4 feet tall in areas. It would take hours to clean the place up. Her previous lawn guy was charging 40 bucks apparently, and I declined...NO WAY im going to spend 3 to 4 hours on a clean up for 40 bucks.
2012 21" Honda HRC-216 mower
2013 Exmark Commercial 30#1
2013 Exmark Commercial 30#2
2014 Exmark Lazer Z S Series EFI 52
Mclane 25" Reel Mower
2010 Husqvarna 21" mower
2008 Stihl FS250R Trimmer
2010 Stihl FS90R Trimmer
200? Stihl FC75 Edger
2013 Stihl BR 600 Blower
2013 Stihl HS81 t Hedge Trimmer
2014 Stihl SH 86 C E Blower Vac
2014 Stihl KM130R edger and trimmer shafts
200? Billy Goat AE550 Core Aerator
Old 07-06-2013, 07:58 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbljack View Post
its ironic that I found this posting today, and read through it. First I had a customer today (she is a bi weekly customer with a lush lawn), and asked me to lower the height because its been growing faster, and she doesn't want to pay for weekly mowing. Im already giving her a decent price because she wants it bagged too.

Then I got a call on the phone, and another lady asked me to come by to give her an estimate to "mow her lawn". Sounded simple enough until I saw the overgrown property that was covered in downed tree limbs, dead trees and naturalized grass that was 4 feet tall in areas. It would take hours to clean the place up. Her previous lawn guy was charging 40 bucks apparently, and I declined...NO WAY im going to spend 3 to 4 hours on a clean up for 40 bucks.
So you didn't give her a price to do the job?
Old 07-06-2013, 08:27 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbljack View Post

$40? Dang! I would have added another "0" to that number if it was as bad as you say it was.
Posted via Mobile Device