Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 06-02-2013, 08:44 PM
LawnSite Member

Byers Gold Parts...need belt!

I am looking for a new belt for my Byers Gold 48" walk behind. The thing is I cant find it anywhere. I also haven't been able to locate a parts diagram. Does anyone know anything about these mowers? I am pretty sure it is a Chinese mower assembled here in the US. I think they stopped making them in the 90's sometime. Any info is much appreciated.
Old 06-02-2013, 09:16 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

I know they went under a looong time ago and were not Chinese, Had a customer bring one in a few times with belt issues..... Glad he doesn't any longer.

The decks resemble the older Scag WB's so see if you can find one of them, Least that will give you a starting point.

Other wise take the machine to a mower shop and have them look at the pulleys to see what width belt is needed, Then sit in their parking lot trying different lengths till you get one that'll work.....
Quote:
Originally Posted by MannsLawnService View Post
some times the man in my mirror isn't so smart...
"Why go out preserved when you can go out beat up, worn out, sliding in sideways screaming, Holy Sh!t What A Ride" !!!
Old 06-02-2013, 11:58 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

I think the Landscaper Supply mowers, Buyers gold mowers, as well as Black Rock mowers, were all the same.
Check for belts that fit Landscaper Supply machines. I would guess they are the same.
Old 06-03-2013, 08:39 PM
LawnSite Member

I just took it to the shop and the guy told me he looked everywhere for a belt and couldn't find one. I might need to go pick up a belt gauge and try and see what the measurements are for it.

Otherwise I am having trouble even finding belts for the black rock and landscaper supply mowers. Those brands do sound familiar though when I looked awhile back so i think that is the right track. Its a good mower but I wish it was easier to find a belt for it!
Old 07-06-2013, 12:34 AM
LawnSite Member

Gotta bump this thread!! Still looking for that belt if anyone has any ideas. I can't seem to locate black rock or landscaper supply belts either. Anyone??
Old 07-06-2013, 07:52 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Restrorob View Post
Other wise take the machine to a mower shop and have them look at the pulleys to see what width belt is needed, Then sit in their parking lot trying different lengths till you get one that'll work.....

Dude...... If you don't want to do the above then just take it to a shop and tell them to put a belt on it !

This isn't rocket science...... Any belt is better than no belt.....
Quote:
Originally Posted by MannsLawnService View Post
some times the man in my mirror isn't so smart...
"Why go out preserved when you can go out beat up, worn out, sliding in sideways screaming, Holy Sh!t What A Ride" !!!
Old 07-06-2013, 08:13 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

Oh boy, and I thought my mowers were being difficult in the parts department.

Belts...
When you do find one you NEED to write down the width and length somewhere you can find your notes again in the future, it is a must.
You can order belts purely by those specifications, width and length.
But you have to have those specs, and remember yours is an 'agricultural' grade belt.
Sometimes you can use Industrial grade belts in place of agricultural, but not always.

The difference is usually Industrial are Kevlar, and agricultural are banded.
But again I've seen Kevlar belts on mowers, just that it doesn't always work the same way all the time.

I have learned to do this for pretty much all parts, keep your own lists.
.pdf files can be helpful as well.

The key point here is you want a parts list somewhere that won't disappear from the Web.

I know this doesn't help much but chances are your belt is either a 1/2" or a 5/8" wide.
I'd try one of each on some pulley, it should come relatively easy, once you have that you only have the length left.

You could almost take a piece of twine and wrap it all around the way a belt would go...
Once you have it wrapped kind of snug and tight, cut and take it back off, then lay it out flat and measure...
Probably if you order a belt that way the first one (or three) will be wrong, either too long or too short but you'll be a whole lot closer.

Still you'll need to write down notes, that way once you find one you have it written down you can order another should the need arise, otherwise you'll go through this tedious process more than once and you will find, as I have, that only so many parts people are willing to help.

Good luck

Last edited by herler; 07-06-2013 at 08:21 AM.
Old 07-06-2013, 06:42 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Restrorob View Post
Dude...... If you don't want to do the above then just take it to a shop and tell them to put a belt on it !

This isn't rocket science...... Any belt is better than no belt.....
I don't think you understand...I already have a belt on it that works. However, the belt isn't an exact fit so I am loosing power at the deck. I have already brought it to a reputable shop in my area and they told me they couldn't find a belt for it.

Quote:
Oh boy, and I thought my mowers were being difficult in the parts department.

Belts...
When you do find one you NEED to write down the width and length somewhere you can find your notes again in the future, it is a must.
You can order belts purely by those specifications, width and length.
But you have to have those specs, and remember yours is an 'agricultural' grade belt.
Sometimes you can use Industrial grade belts in place of agricultural, but not always.

The difference is usually Industrial are Kevlar, and agricultural are banded.
But again I've seen Kevlar belts on mowers, just that it doesn't always work the same way all the time.

I have learned to do this for pretty much all parts, keep your own lists.
.pdf files can be helpful as well.

The key point here is you want a parts list somewhere that won't disappear from the Web.

I know this doesn't help much but chances are your belt is either a 1/2" or a 5/8" wide.
I'd try one of each on some pulley, it should come relatively easy, once you have that you only have the length left.

You could almost take a piece of twine and wrap it all around the way a belt would go...
Once you have it wrapped kind of snug and tight, cut and take it back off, then lay it out flat and measure...
Probably if you order a belt that way the first one (or three) will be wrong, either too long or too short but you'll be a whole lot closer.

Still you'll need to write down notes, that way once you find one you have it written down you can order another should the need arise, otherwise you'll go through this tedious process more than once and you will find, as I have, that only so many parts people are willing to help.

Good luck
Yes I agree taking note of the correct belt would have been best, but unfortunately that is all in hindsight. I had no idea how difficult it would be to source a part for this mower.

This is the most promising thing I have found so far:
http://www.landscaperpro.com/bladedr...-lp292088.aspx
Old 07-07-2013, 03:52 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonnywong View Post
I don't think you understand...I already have a belt on it that works. However, the belt isn't an exact fit so I am loosing power at the deck.
Oh, why didn't you say that, just a matter of measuring, hell that's too easy, I thought we were starting from scratch.

Quote:
Yes I agree taking note of the correct belt would have been best, but unfortunately that is all in hindsight. I had no idea how difficult it would be to source a part for this mower.
I would try a belt exactly ONE inch shorter than the one you have now.
Old 07-07-2013, 09:15 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
I have already brought it to a reputable shop in my area and they told me they couldn't find a belt for it.
Really.... I guess some one didn't want to put the time into finding you the correct belt.....Go to Gates.Com, log on and down load there
PDF if you can, if not, leave a message with what ever info you have.
Chances are they made the original belts anyway.

The primary function of an Engineer is to make it difficult for the Fabricator and impossible for the Mechanic

RTFM What a concept

Tags
byers gold