Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 07-06-2013, 09:32 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Took these pics yesterday before I left for the beach. 6 days post sanding. It has been raining like craaazzy in GA the last few days so I haven't had to use the sprinklers. I've had a few small spots wash out from run off but it's not enough that I'm worried about it.

I'm excited to see how much more it has filled in when I get back from the beach next weekend. I didn't take any of the backyard but it's pretty much filling in the same as the front yard.

Old 07-07-2013, 04:37 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

here are 5 weeks post leveling with a somewhat aerial view. As you can see it hasn't totally filled in everywhere. It kind of looks like crap and I wish I wouldn't have done it. Going to mow it whenever it stop raining.
Attached Images

Old 07-12-2013, 10:12 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gulfjoe View Post
here are 5 weeks post leveling with a somewhat aerial view. As you can see it hasn't totally filled in everywhere. It kind of looks like crap and I wish I wouldn't have done it. Going to mow it whenever it stop raining.
It looks like you're mowing it pretty tall which is probably why it looks pretty lumpy. It looks pretty well filled in to me. Did you get your Mcclane back from the shop?
Old 07-12-2013, 10:35 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by macgyver_GA View Post
It looks like you're mowing it pretty tall which is probably why it looks pretty lumpy. It looks pretty well filled in to me. Did you get your Mcclane back from the shop?
Hasn't gone to the shop... Those photos were taken when the lawn hasn't been mowed. I finally got to cut it yesterday.
Old 07-14-2013, 09:29 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Here's a few pics 15 days later. I mowed it for the first time today since sanding. I can tell it's waayyy smoother than before. Barely any bouncing from the mower. It's filling in pretty good. I can see stolons spreading like crazy in the sand. Apparently it rained like crazy last week while I was gone on vacation. We've had ridiculous amounts of rain in the last few weeks here.

Old 07-15-2013, 05:21 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Looks good
Old 07-24-2013, 08:34 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Well guys I was afraid this was going to happen sooner or later with the weather patterns we've been having (rain rain rain, cloudy, humid, temps in the 80's). I've noticed in the last week that my backyard almost seemed like it was thinning out and not recovering as quickly after mowing compared to my front yard. This is weird because my backyard gets more sun and generally is a better stand of turf than the front. I pulled up some bermuda in various spots throughout the backyard especially in the areas where it looked thin and discovered I've got a fungus going on. Historically, I've never had any fungus problems in my yard other than a little dollar spot here or there that can be fertilized out.

It looks like it's a Helminthosporium type fungus to me but I wanted to get some second opinions before I get something to treat it. It's not dollar spot and I don't think it's pythium because I'm not seeing the white-ish fungus surrounding the areas.

Ideas? And treatment options? I can fling granular, blanket with my skid, or use a backpack.

It's tif419 maintained at 5/8" with a reel mowed every other day.

Sorry if some are blurry, it's hard to get it to focus that close.

With flash
Old 07-24-2013, 10:09 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Your injury description and weather description certainly sound like leaf spot. If you're not managing a high-end surace that's going to be on high-def TV in the next week or so, fungicides are going to cost you more than what you'll get out of them. Back down on the N fert and look for ways to improve drainage in super wet areas. If its just raining too much, that's something you'll just have to deal with.

You'll grow out of this damage when the rain backs down and the sun starts hining again.
Old 07-24-2013, 10:43 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skipster View Post
Your injury description and weather description certainly sound like leaf spot. If you're not managing a high-end surace that's going to be on high-def TV in the next week or so, fungicides are going to cost you more than what you'll get out of them. Back down on the N fert and look for ways to improve drainage in super wet areas. If its just raining too much, that's something you'll just have to deal with.

You'll grow out of this damage when the rain backs down and the sun starts hining again.

This has been the wettest July I can ever remember here in ga
Old 07-24-2013, 02:01 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skipster View Post

That's what I was thinking. We've had more rain this year than 2011 & 2012 combined. Not to mention it's been cloudy and we haven't had many days in the 90's yet which we generally start hitting the low 90's by early July. Just wanna make sure it won't cause long term affects. The area I noticed the most symptoms is actually pretty well drained.