Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 10-27-2012, 02:55 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

I would like to incorporate the waste from tree/brush work into a useable material to use for the new flood/erosion protection company im starting. Use the chipped waste as mulch to stuff erosion socks.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 10-27-2012, 06:59 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KrayzKajun View Post
I would like to incorporate the waste from tree/brush work into a useable material to use for the new flood/erosion protection company im starting. Use the chipped waste as mulch to stuff erosion socks.
Posted via Mobile Device
A friend of mine has been using rocks, wood chips, dirt, and brush to make erosion berms all over his land. He's a biologist and also specializes in erosion control. The brush makes a "frame" and the rocks and wood chips fill in the skeleton of brush. The wood chips stay in place because the brush holds it there (think thatch roof). As the sediment backs up behind it and grasses start growing and natural fungi action takes place, the brush starts to break down eventually leaving a natural earthen berm. It isn't for all applications but it helps dispose of brush and provides an environmentally friendly gabion basket of sorts.

We even use logs and cover them with dirt and wood chips.

The wood chips from a drum style chipper (or shreds from a mulcher or tub or horizontal grinder) tend to be more coarse and I've had better luck using those chips for roads, trails, and as erosion blankets.
Attached Images

"Life is tough, but it's tougher if you're stupid."

Twitter @Cedar_Clearing
Old 10-28-2012, 12:01 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Thts some nice work yellowdog.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 10-28-2012, 11:24 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Thanks. I was lucky to get that job. Just 2 miles from my place. I cleared, chipped and mowed or mulched 20 acre meadows on a 230 +/- acre ranch. Did it all with a bobcat s300, tree shear, brushcat, mulcher, and chipper. Hired my friend's company to trim and shape a few oaks but other than that I was out there by myself for a few weeks. Enjoyed the solitude!

"Life is tough, but it's tougher if you're stupid."

Twitter @Cedar_Clearing
Old 10-28-2012, 11:52 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by YellowDogSVC View Post
Thanks. I was lucky to get that job. Just 2 miles from my place. I cleared, chipped and mowed or mulched 20 acre meadows on a 230 +/- acre ranch. Did it all with a bobcat s300, tree shear, brushcat, mulcher, and chipper. Hired my friend's company to trim and shape a few oaks but other than that I was out there by myself for a few weeks. Enjoyed the solitude!
That does sound great. I would love to have more projects like that(just go do and be close to home).

Way to go Krazy!
Old 04-16-2013, 11:35 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

I have been doing alot of searching for contacts for pipeline companies, right of way management comapnies, utlitity companies, etc. ive got a list of atleast 60+ fax #s, email addresses and mailing addresses. hopefully ill manage to make a good contact that can land some long term work.

Landscape Contractors
Louisiana Licensed: Landscape/Horticulturist, Commercial Ground Applicator, Arborist, Irrigation Contractor, Utility Arborist

Onsite Sandbagging, Palletized Sandbags & Bulk Totes, Emergency Response, Erosion & StormWater Barriers
Old 05-11-2013, 09:05 PM
LawnSite Member

How did the GP contract meeting go?
Old 05-11-2013, 09:57 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KrayzKajun View Post
I have been doing alot of searching for contacts for pipeline companies, right of way management comapnies, utlitity companies, etc. ive got a list of atleast 60+ fax #s, email addresses and mailing addresses. hopefully ill manage to make a good contact that can land some long term work.
Hi Krayz

I wondered if you got the job from the land developer who wanted his property cleared? Last I remember you had quoted eight to ten thousand....I was thinking it might be wise to take a bid like that and ask to do just one part of it, like clear the fence line, and quote a number you think you can do it for?? Then if both of you are satisfied, quote next part...Sometimes when a person you don`t really know ---nor they you, just a start can lead into a long term relationship of trust.......I know when I have done business with someone and am happy with their work and price, I trust them to just do the next job in a similar fashion, and do not ask for a bid----unless it is a really large job, then just an estimate.....I find most people know what they can do with hard work, and if a problem develops, we both discuss it, and move on...I don`t want anyone loosing money on something I am doing---no fault of their own---Tony
Old 07-07-2013, 06:39 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Well I've added another State license to my certifications. Now licensed utility arborist. Adding that license really bumps me up into a higher category than most companies around here.

Now I really want to find a way to market my company and services towards right of way clearing/mowing and other land service jobs that most companies around here don't want to fool with.

My company is now licensed as Arborist, Utility Arborist, Landscape Contractor, Irrigation Contractor, and Commercial Applicator.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 07-07-2013, 08:25 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

congrats.... I'm guessing utility arborist is dealing more with right of ways? You gonna get a helicopter with one of those saws! haha.

You see yourself getting out of residential and gear more toward the utility side of commercial? I know a guy who owns an outfit around here that makes a great lives doing nothing but site clearing for towers, but 90% of them are up on the mountains only accessible to a UTV w/sprayer, chainsaw, etc...