Register free!

Old 07-04-2013, 12:25 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Fairy Ring trials. Looking for an auger bit for cordless drill...?

Yes. Looking for a mini auger bit I can use with a Dewalt cordless drill. One that can be used with my 18 v hammer drill.

Basically I want to drill holes into the fairy ring circles and be able to pull up the majority of the soil down to a depth of a few feet. Diameter of hole no larger than 1.5" in diameter.

Compare results using scientific method.

Anything like this on the market?

Last edited by Exact Rototilling; 07-04-2013 at 12:29 PM.
Old 07-05-2013, 06:21 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

You might have better luck finding and actual soil probe for that length... the longest bit I see at the hardware stores are less than 2' long, and I don't know if they'd give you the results like an actually corer would...
Let us know what you discover...
Old 07-05-2013, 12:03 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

"Sooner or later you 'll need a hole in it."
Try these.
http://www.bamanufacturing.com/wood.html

Scientific research is rare. Try filling the holes with fungicide or soap solution.

let us know what happens to the fairy ring. Fairies come and go so quick.
Old 07-05-2013, 01:25 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Much of the soil here is rocky thanks to the failure of the ice dam containing ancient glacial lake Missoula in Montana. Pretty much has to be drill. Even aeration here with my Plugrs® is a serious hammer fest and there are properties I dread aerating with those units. I'm currently searching for a owner operator of a Ryan 28 reciprocating so I can compare it to my Plugrs in how it handles rocks etc.

Honestly I'm not expecting dramatic night and day results from drilling holes but I do expect it to make some difference.

It will be important to have untouched "rings" controls for fair comparison.

Neighbors place has it way worse due to poor cultural practices. You can see it on Google Earth.
Old 07-06-2013, 07:20 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Are the rocks packed in clay or huddled in sand??? Being difficult for aeration it must be not draining well,,, and that is the purpose of wanting to drill???
What do you do to loosen the soil as far as ammendments/cultural practices are concerned???
Old 07-06-2013, 09:43 AM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Rocks are essentially river rocks to large dinosaur egg rocks and even larger. Numerous gravel pits here so soil is does drain well. Very little clay in the area.

The reason for the deep drilling into the fairy ring is go well beyond just the typical 3" from core aeration and attempt to break up the fungal cycle in some manner if possible short of digging out the entire ring and reseeding.

Fungicides, soap mixtures etc.....

Every client of mine regardless of the state if the lawn scrubby to high input ....wants them gone.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 07-07-2013, 09:43 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

If the soil drains well,,, what do you suppose is the cause of the fairy ring???
Old 07-07-2013, 02:42 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Fairy Ring spores have been found 5 feet down in the soil. It could be coming from an old tree root.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 07-08-2013, 10:38 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Do spores buried in the ground 5' deep affect the grass at the surface??? I would imagine that there are spores of all kinds everywhere, but they only germinate when conditions are favorable and only become an issue when conditions are unfavorable to just about everything other than the pathogen...
It might be helpful to do a little research on fairy ring and see if it is feeding on dead matter below the surface and living tissue above the surface...