Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 07-07-2013, 11:38 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by headz77 View Post
Not Tony, but I will throw in my 2 cents:

1- Not a problem. Maybe just check out moz guide on internal linking for best practices.

2- No. That puts you a manual review away from disappearing.

3- A one page site can work, done correctly. If you are only targeting a couple keywords I could see it making sense. However, it would be pretty hard to rank for "landscaper", "landscaping", "landscape design", "lawn care", etc... You would need an amazing link graph, old domain, tons of citations, steady stream of reviews- and maybe you could rank well for 10 keywords. If you are going to do just one page- do it really well. The effective ones I have seen were long pages, with a great flow, nice graphics, periodic calls to action, and most importantly, they told a story. If you only get one page take 3-4 sentences to say what you do and spend the rest of the time telling your story. Who are you? Why do you do what you do? It should be the best "About" page in your market with a couple fantastic graphics and compelling forms/calls to action.

If you are a niche provider who can tell a story- then go for it.
Posted via Mobile Device
Much thanks! I think I'll do number 1, but keep the current design. What Tony stated about how good it looks on mobile devices is the main reason (FYI, I never even considered this aspect because I am a technology grouch and don't have any such devices). I looked at MOZ--good advice. Pertaining to number 3, what do you mean by "tons of citations"? Me citing/linking to other relevant topics on other sites, or vice versa?

Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication. --Leonardo da Vinci

http://integritylawnpro.com
Old 07-07-2013, 11:50 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonygreek View Post
Headz has made me obsolete. lol I'm on vacation most of this month, so I dig it.

1. It would help.

2. Music was a better idea than that. Hidden/white/negative margin text is an old, old black hat trick. I've seen Google spot it. I've seen them miss it. Either way, you're skating on very thin ice. As headz points out, you're a manual review, or algorithm advancement, away from purgatory.

If you're feeling the urge to write 10,000 words, break it in to multiple pages and just link them on your site. Or channel the energy and write 20 blog posts and just feed them to Google over a couple of months. This is one of those ideas that is a terrible idea, but with a slightly different lens applied, you realize you can do essentially the same thing, with a stronger outcome, by doing something that's 100% legit.

3. Top Pros can rank a one page site. It's like doing a landscape install. Anyone can do what amounts to a landscape install, but can Joe Homeowner really do what Joe Landscaper can do? Top Pros are Top Pros for a reason. My fiance is a Top Pro in her field. Trust me...I cannot do what she can do. On the other hand, she could do what I do, but it would taker her quite a bit of time and learning to do so.

Ranking a one page site is like ranking a full site. You have to have a plan, you have to properly implement it, and you have to see it through. I have no problem ranking one page sites, and neither would you, if done properly. A couple of weeks ago, entirely as a joke meant to prevent some local LCO's from getting screwed (long'ish story), I bought a domain and put up a one page site and got it ranking page 1 for a 17,000 population, Northern Virginia city in just a couple of days. It's now sitting as the #1 pure organic result, just under the 7 Pack. That's doable for any number of cities and towns, but it's not a method I would be using for a major metro area. There are just too many off-site strategies that need to help boost your cause. Headz has become an expert on that process.
Thanks, Tony. Can you please elaborate on "done properly"? I'd like to pay a webmaster to code properly for me, but here in Atlanta it's too easy to get jipped by supposed "great coders". A buddy of mine went through four web designers in a year for his business (unrelated to mine) and wasted nearly $10K on what amounted to a superb design, that could NOT be found anywhere on any search sites--I can't have that (this industry is far too competitive). If I had some resources you could point me to, I could attempt to recode myself. Have a good one!

Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication. --Leonardo da Vinci

http://integritylawnpro.com
Old 07-08-2013, 12:05 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

[. Pertaining to number 3, what do you mean by "tons of citations"? Me citing/linking to other relevant topics on other sites, or vice versa?[/QUOTE]

Neither. A citation is a mention of your business name, address, and phone number. While this is different than a backlink, many citations include your website and are also, therefore, links. The citation is important for local SEO. It lets search engines know that you really exist, where you exist, and how you can be contacted. They try really hard to make local info accurate, so they prominently feature companies with lots of consistent citations.

You can read more here: https://getlisted.org/static/resources/why-citations-are-important.html
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 07-08-2013, 11:18 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chilehead View Post
Thanks, Tony. Can you please elaborate on "done properly"? I'd like to pay a webmaster to code properly for me, but here in Atlanta it's too easy to get jipped by supposed "great coders".
It comes down to following best coding practices, how and when to add content, adding citations, and creating and optimizing the 3 Local pages of Google/Bing/Yahoo.

One of the best ways of identifying a "good" coder would be to go to their portfolio sites and do a "view source". If you can do a good job of actually reading the content from within the code, they probably have a solid understanding of what they're doing. If you run in to a lot of actual code within it, or inline CSS, they may not be the best for the job. As a loose example, where one, less than skilled, coder might take 800 lines to do your home page, a good coder could do it in 150 lines. Or if you look at their CSS file or Wordpress theme and see a theme name for it, it's likely they didn't actually build the site at all. (I see this almost as much as sloppy code.)

If you have potential developers in mind, feel free to PM or email me. It takes me less than a minute to rule one in or out.