Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 07-08-2013, 11:49 AM
LawnSite Member

Need help with removing bushes.

Customers son asked me a price to tear out and hall away these 5 overgrown bushes. I know everyone will say you need to know your costs but I'd like to hear others ballpark what they would charge.i know what I need to make an hour but I don't know how long it will take. What I really need to know is how long should I expect this to take and what would be the best way to remove them. Here is a pic. Thanks for any tips.

Posted via Mobile Device
Old 07-08-2013, 01:01 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

What will i be using to remove them?
Old 07-08-2013, 01:33 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by trock View Post
That's what I'm asking. I'm thinking either tie them to the truck and pill them out or if that's not an option then probably have to dig them out.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 07-08-2013, 03:01 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Pull out with truck. If no truck, use Sawzall w/a 12" demolition blade. Me doing it with my trusty Sawzall (to get to deep roots "in" ground) & chainsaw for above ground, haul away to landfill=$450.00.

You might charge more/less depending on your area.
Ariens Rear Tine Tiller
(6) Trailers:
5x12, 6x12, 6x14, 8x16, 7x18, 6x22
Asus Transformer Infinity TY700 Tablet
Galaxy S3
Bananalogist

If you think it's expensive to hire a professional to do the job, wait until you hire an amateur.

Red Adair
Old 07-08-2013, 03:40 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colaguy View Post
Pull out with truck. If no truck, use Sawzall w/a 12" demolition blade. Me doing it with my trusty Sawzall (to get to deep roots "in" ground) & chainsaw for above ground, haul away to landfill=$450.00.

You might charge more/less depending on your area.
Thanks for the help. If you could use a truck would your price he the same?
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 07-09-2013, 09:14 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

What are the chances of some kind of utility wire, pipe or cable being under the roots??? what kind of cleanup is necessary, especially after ripping them out with a truck???
Becuz bushes ar so bulky to haul, you may want to take the time to delimb the bushes, first so they can all be cleaned up and hauled away in one load... when it comes to getting them out of the ground you only have a naked trunk to work around...
I always try to get away with simply cutting the trunk at ground level and painting the stump with roundup straight out of the bottle... What are they going to do with that spot once the bushes are gone??? those root may not interfere with the future plans at all...
Old 07-09-2013, 10:43 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by baseball9074 View Post
Quote:
That's what I'm asking. I'm thinking either tie them to the truck and pill them out or if that's not an option then probably have to dig them out.
Posted via Mobile Device
You never asked how to do it! You asked how much to charge and how long will it take! How can we help you if you don't say how you plan on removing them. Pulling them out with a truck is dangerous... hope you have insurance incase the chain breaks and goes through there window. Not to mention all the neighbors seeing them pulled out the unprofessional way and putting tire burnout marks on the driveway. You should call before you dig so they can mark out the area. What will you be doing with all the debris? How many trips will it take to haul them away? How big is your truck? How many guys will be on the job? Are you going to be putting something else in place of these? Need to know much more info to answer than what was given.
Old 07-09-2013, 11:03 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
You never asked how to do it! You asked how much to charge and how long will it take! How can we help you if you don't say how you plan on removing them. Pulling them out with a truck is dangerous... hope you have insurance incase the chain breaks and goes through there window. Not to mention all the neighbors seeing them pulled out the unprofessional way and putting tire burnout marks on the driveway. You should call before you dig so they can mark out the area. What will you be doing with all the debris? How many trips will it take to haul them away? How big is your truck? How many guys will be on the job? Are you going to be putting something else in place of these? Need to know much more info to answer than what was given.
Sorry for the confusion. I'm also curious to hearing people's ideas for removing them. Id like to hear others method of removal. All debris will taken to a landscape waste place( for free I'm pretty sure need to call and Double check). I'm thinking 1-2 trailer fulls but I won't know the exact size of the bushes until I actually stop by the property tomorrow to see what I'm working with. Me and possibly one more person. I have a 1500 ram 4x4, but if I pull them out with a truck I will have my buddy with his 7.3 250 4x4 pull them out. I will find out the exact details of the size and what to do next after they are gone and get back to you. Thanks for your help
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 07-10-2013, 07:46 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

If you want it really easy, just chainsaw each shrub at the base and chop into reasonable size pieces to fit in the trailer to haul then rent or hire a stump grinder to grind whats left. $450 should take 2 hours. Always a good idea to call 811 before you dig. They come out free so you won't have any broken pipe wire issues.
Old 07-10-2013, 08:19 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildstarblazer View Post
If you want it really easy, just chainsaw each shrub at the base and chop into reasonable size pieces to fit in the trailer to haul then rent or hire a stump grinder to grind whats left. $450 should take 2 hours. Always a good idea to call 811 before you dig. They come out free so you won't have any broken pipe wire issues.
Ditto,

Address the roots after they are gone and the HO decides what to do.

2005- Completion of University of Illinois Master Gardner's Program.