Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 07-07-2013, 03:54 PM
LawnSite Member

i've been searching a little bit and i just found this bob cat ransomes. This is actually the same mower i use on a lawn for a guy i work for.
I do all residential homes and i do have smaller lawns where i need to use push mower to get tighter spaces. This is a 36" deck at a good price. Not for looks but that doesn't matter if it runs great. Would it be a good decision if i also looked into a 36" or 38" deck? I like the 48" cause it gets more done quicker but it's that big of a difference.
It's at a good price and close to me which is why i'm looking at it. i may call the guy and ask about it.

http://hudsonvalley.craigslist.org/grd/3914088900.html
Old 07-07-2013, 04:41 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Both of the those mowers looks pretty crappy. The first mower looks like he took some random engine and put in on the mower considering his yard is basically a junkyard. At 500 or less you are basically buying someone elses junk and you have no idea if it will make it a week. At least the craftsman seems to be running be pretty good. My advice would be save some money up and wait until you can buy something decent instead of buying junk and hoping it turns out okay
Old 07-07-2013, 05:00 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by 32vld View Post
You have two lawns. You do not need to buy or trade your junk to get someone else's junk.

Not having strips is not the end of the world.

Take the money you make and save till you have the money to pay cash.

Very good advice!!!
Old 07-07-2013, 06:05 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TJW_692 View Post
i have 8 lawns as of right now. sorry if it was mistaken cause i said a few but most landscapers do that many lawns in one afternoon so it's not really that much comparing to them. 4 lawns take me almost 3 hours or more. I just want a walk behind cause to me it's easier really cause you can turn easier. Go faster and it looks better.
I'm still looking besides that one cause it's rough but either way i'm probably still gonna sell my rider when i choose to get a walk behind. I'm only interested in it cause it's around the price i would look to spend whether cash or trade in of mine. I would only be paying 150 out of pocket unless i could get him down or the guy buying mine to go up a little bit.

I appreciate the quick responses and opinions everyone. Don't hold back from saying anything

The pictures you are showing are mowers that are to bad to get accepted into a junk yard. Except for 42" Craftsman. It runs good, cuts good, because you did not complain about anything then the mower not being fast enough to your liking.

Where are you in the Hudson Valley?

Where I am a lot of properties have 4' gates. There are a lot of 36" gates around but I do not have any 36" gates this year.

Point is if I had a 48" mower I would have to use my 20" to do some back yards the yards of mine that have 4' gates.

I started out with a JD LT 180 42" rider and a 20" push, and a 4 x 8 trailer, because they are what I already had to do my own property when I decided to get back into the business.

Yes my 42" is slow. Though between my two mowers I get 15 lawns done every week. And could add a few more with the mowers that I have. And, still be done in less then four 8 hour days.

In starting out you need to learn the difference between a need and a want. You want another mower. You do not need another mower now. You do not need to increase your production capabilities when your volume does not even use half of what your mowers can do.

Saturday I bought a 5 x 10 open trailer. Now I will be saving to buy a 36" WB to increase efficiency, safer on the hills, smaller gate access.

When my volume increases I then will get a commercial 48" to 54". And I will have the trailer to pull it. Remember to build with a purpose.

That $300 you looking to spend. How are you set up for hand helds? Good BP blower for fall clean ups. Being a LCO is more then just mowers and lawns.
Old 07-07-2013, 06:57 PM
LawnSite Member

well the guy is offering me 300 for mine. which if i can get a mower for 400-500 i won't be spending a lot. i don't need the walk behind but i'm looking cause if i find a good deal i'll jump on it.
I'm near poughkeepsie btw.
I do know that a couple places i mow i would not be able to fit a 48" mower through some sections but i would still be able to use it on all lawns.

Im fine with the blower and trimmer. i have a backpack blower 4 stroke troy bilt. and a 4 stroke troy bilt trimmer.
Old 07-07-2013, 08:16 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

If you want a better mower, then sell your rider and spend 500 on a bigger used rider like a Simplicity or something like that. I would much rather use a small garden tractor than a old piece of junk belt drive. Save your money for a nice 48" hydro.

I push mowed 7 lawns for 2 years with a 21" before I bought a 48" hydro. Like another guy said, grow with a purpose.

Just my two scents.

Pittsburgh/Western PA Landscapers Networking Thread

For Sale Chevy truck parts
Old 07-07-2013, 08:25 PM
LawnSite Member

Yea i've been using a push mower up until a month ago when i got the rider.

The hydros are the one's that have the reverse and don't some have the controls that a zero turn would? I've come across a couple of them but i figured even though they are newer i heard hydros are very expensive to fix. I almost bought a hydro rider but stayed away cause it's too expensive to repair.
Old 07-09-2013, 06:47 PM
LawnSite Member

I'm going to check out a zero turn today. It's like 5 minutes away so it won't hurt to look at it at least. It's an older wheel horse model. But he said low hours and it runs and cuts fine. 42" deck. 16 or 19 hp he said
He was given it by one of his customers and it just sits. The only things it needs are a throttle cable and battery. He said he thinks it's hydro powered not belt. But i'll see what it is. He only wants 250 bucks for it. The guy is still interested in my mower as well. So, depending on the condition it's in that's an awesome deal for a zero turn!