Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 07-08-2013, 11:14 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Back when I used to spray lawns I'd average about 100,000 sq. ft. per day, give or take a few thousand sq. ft. I sprayed at 2 gallons per minute and followed all label rates. I'd use anywhere between 200-250 gallons. This is the minimum that I would try to do.

The way our company worked was like this: Each route would be calculated in Total Sq. ft, total amount of lawns, and total amount of money to be billed.

Total Sq. ft. of applications divided by 6 (number of weeks in each round)
Total amount of lawns divided by 6 (number of weeks in each round)
Total amount of dollars to be billed divided by 6 (number of weeks in each round)

So say my route had 3 million sq. feet, 330 lawns, and $33,000 to bill out. That would equal the following production numbers for the first week of the round:

100,000 sq. ft. per day
11 lawns per day
$1,100 to bill per day

If I hit those goals for that week my numbers would be the same each week but if I exceeded them, which was easy to do, we'd take the left over total numbers and divide by 5 (weeks left in a round). Thus if I had billed 120,000 sq. ft per day, 14 lawns, and $1,280 for billing, my 2nd weeks worth of numbers would look like this:

96,000 sq. ft. per day
10.4 lawns per day
1,064 to bill per day

This would go on each day and it ensured that our routes would be finished on time. If you exceeded your goals on a daily basis, your numbers would drop the following week, allowing you more time to do service calls, take a longer lunch, etc... I usually finished my route up in 4 weeks and would have no production to do for the final two! Since I cannot be paid to do nothing, the managers would have me jump into routes where someone had quit, been fired, or had just been lazy. I would continue to put up the same numbers and when bonus time came up in July and December, those who were consistent, did a good job, helped out in other routes, etc.... were usually taken care of with larger bonuses.

We had 15 guys in our location and around 80 between all 3 of our locations and numbers would vary. For my route, these numbers were consistent from season to season. We did have some routes where one of my co-workers would be in a single neighborhood on Cape Cod for 3 straight days without much driving at all. Those routes had numbers that were a lot higher.

Some of the numbers listed above I can't even fathom!

Last edited by Hissing Cobra; 07-08-2013 at 11:19 PM.
Old 07-08-2013, 11:54 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

A good man with good equipment and a good route should be able to do 300,000 sq ft every day by hand.

That being said. No company I ever worked for paid any attention to that.

It was stops or dollars.

I run ride on's today and can do three acres an hour all day long so I can do 300K in 2.5 hours and not even get my feet wet.

Old 07-09-2013, 09:22 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cadzilla View Post
A good man with good equipment and a good route should be able to do 300,000 sq ft every day by hand.

That being said. No company I ever worked for paid any attention to that.

It was stops or dollars.

I run ride on's today and can do three acres an hour all day long so I can do 300K in 2.5 hours and not even get my feet wet.

What ride on are you using?

I'd love to have a ride on but can't get my boss to budge on getting one. He jumped on using Holganix this year and I'm afraid the cost (I'm not privy to the $ of Holganix) may prevent me from getting a ride on any time soon.

Probably a stupid question but do mix rates change when using a ride on?
Old 07-10-2013, 09:22 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by turn3 View Post
What ride on are you using?

I'd love to have a ride on but can't get my boss to budge on getting one. He jumped on using Holganix this year and I'm afraid the cost (I'm not privy to the $ of Holganix) may prevent me from getting a ride on any time soon.

Probably a stupid question but do mix rates change when using a ride on?

Whether a ride on is good for you is up to you but I can tell you theres not anyone I know who wouldn't or doesn't benefit greatly from using them.

Theres different sizes available for different needs. I have LT Rich Z Max's but all the machines are worthy.

Application rates of granular fertilizer don't change but the weed control is mixed as they say "Low Volume." That is to say the mix you are carrying and applying is concentrated and stronger than the mix you apply from a spray hose or back pack because you are applying much less liquid "volume" but the amount of active ingredient applied per thousand sq feet is the same.

The three hundred gallons of water and weed control you spray in one day to do 100,000 or a little better square feet will get me roughly 18 acres of coverage mixed for a low volume machine.

Last edited by Cadzilla; 07-10-2013 at 09:28 AM.