Register free!
Search
 
     

The Green Industry's Resource Center


Click for Weather
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 07-09-2013, 05:22 PM
makktruck's Avatar
makktruck makktruck is offline
LawnSite Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Louisville, Kentucky
Posts: 134
Anyone know what a turf tracer is rated to pull?

I'm looking at getting a 48inch turf tracer hp with a 17 ponie Kawasaki engine. My question is if anyone knows what it's rated to pull? I want it to pull my 5 by 6 single axle trialer around my neighborhood. Does anyone know of it can do this. Thanks for any responses, Davis.
Posted via Mobile Device
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 07-09-2013, 05:29 PM
KrayzKajun's Avatar
KrayzKajun KrayzKajun is online now
LawnSite Fanatic
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Harvey,LA
Posts: 10,327
Not a trailer. Maybe pull an operator on a sulky but not a trailer. A w/b mower does not have a towing capacity.
Posted via Mobile Device
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 07-09-2013, 07:48 PM
orangemower orangemower is offline
LawnSite Silver Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: pa
Posts: 2,773
Quote:
Originally Posted by makktruck View Post
I'm looking at getting a 48inch turf tracer hp with a 17 ponie Kawasaki engine. My question is if anyone knows what it's rated to pull? I want it to pull my 5 by 6 single axle trailer around my neighborhood. Does anyone know of it can do this. Thanks for any responses, Davis.
Posted via Mobile Device
Don't you mean a 48inch Turf Tracer Ponie with a 17hp engine? If so, then yes, the Ponie model has a hitch that can tow a BIG trailer.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 07-09-2013, 08:38 PM
Hawkshot99 Hawkshot99 is online now
LawnSite Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: New York
Posts: 684
Quote:
Originally Posted by KrayzKajun View Post
Not a trailer. Maybe pull an operator on a sulky but not a trailer. A w/b mower does not have a towing capacity.
Posted via Mobile Device
I started mowing the lawns of my neighborhood when I was 10. I had my dads old Gravely walkbehind. I towed a lawn cart (that normally is pulled by a tractor) carrying my trimmer, blower, extra gas, and I rode on it as well. Used that mower for 2 yrs like that, before having the engine die. Replaced it with a Scag and continued the practice for 4 more yrs till I got a license.

I would think a Hydro transmission would be much better than a belt drive. The trailer the OP wants to pull would be significantly more weight.
__________________
Exmark Viking 48"
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 07-09-2013, 08:40 PM
makktruck's Avatar
makktruck makktruck is offline
LawnSite Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Louisville, Kentucky
Posts: 134
Quote:
Originally Posted by orangemower View Post
Don't you mean a 48inch Turf Tracer Ponie with a 17hp engine? If so, then yes, the Ponie model has a hitch that can tow a BIG trailer.
Umm it might be a ponie how do you know? But no I was saying "ponies" as in horse power. Sorry for the confusion
Posted via Mobile Device
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 07-09-2013, 09:08 PM
herler herler is online now
LawnSite Gold Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 3,457
I wouldn't pull a big trailer with such a puny machine.

Lawn mowers are rated to tow exactly nothing.
That is what the rating states, it states nothing, that means it isn't meant to tow.

My 60" Warrior pulls my 6x12 but the machine has DOUBLE capacity hydro pumps with cooling fans, they are designed to never overheat even under load and I don't drive it around the hood, mostly for around the yard and even that I do on a limited and occasional basis.
Certainly the V-twin 25hp Kawasaki handles it but it's not the power I'm worried about.
So as long as I take it easy, it SHOULD tow my 6x12 for SHORT distances with ease.

And I wouldn't hesitate 'maneuvering' a trailer with a 15hp WB.
But not for cruising the hood, just in case this is any reference I was joking in that thread when I posted.

A yard cart on the other hand, yeah, that I can see.

Last edited by herler; 07-09-2013 at 09:12 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 07-09-2013, 09:18 PM
makktruck's Avatar
makktruck makktruck is offline
LawnSite Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Louisville, Kentucky
Posts: 134
the reason i ask is because im trying to figure out how to pull my trailer around my neighborhood as i do now but since ill be adding a turf tracer i dont know if the extra weight will be too much to pull around the neighborhood. Does anyone have any suggestions on what i could do to solve this problem. Im only 15 so i cant drive which sucks. I dont know if i got a dolly to hook to the trailer would work HELP Please!!!! Thanks for the responses though!
__________________
My Setup:
1)-Scag 48inch belt walk
2)-Exmark Comercial 30
3)-Stihl and Redmax Handhelds
4)-5x10 Trailer
5)-Arctic Cat 400 to pull it around
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 07-10-2013, 12:27 AM
knox gsl's Avatar
knox gsl knox gsl is online now
LawnSite Gold Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: knoxville, tn
Posts: 3,672
Figure a way to mount a trimmer and handheld blower to your mower and walk.
Posted via Mobile Device
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 07-10-2013, 01:13 AM
StanWilhite StanWilhite is online now
LawnSite Bronze Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Decatur AL
Posts: 1,724
Quote:
Originally Posted by herler View Post
I wouldn't pull a big trailer with such a puny machine.

Lawn mowers are rated to tow exactly nothing.
That is what the rating states, it states nothing, that means it isn't meant to tow.

My 60" Warrior pulls my 6x12 but the machine has DOUBLE capacity hydro pumps with cooling fans, they are designed to never overheat even under load and I don't drive it around the hood, mostly for around the yard and even that I do on a limited and occasional basis.
Certainly the V-twin 25hp Kawasaki handles it but it's not the power I'm worried about.
So as long as I take it easy, it SHOULD tow my 6x12 for SHORT distances with ease.

And I wouldn't hesitate 'maneuvering' a trailer with a 15hp WB.
But not for cruising the hood, just in case this is any reference I was joking in that thread when I posted.

A yard cart on the other hand, yeah, that I can see.


Sorry, I have to disagree.

Some mowers have a "tow rating", and most all have the capability of towing to some degree or the manufacturers wouldn't offer them with hitches for pulling.

The (factory) hitch on my Lightning is a 2" sq receiver with a ball on it (like you see on trucks). I've pulled a 400 -500 trail mower thru very tall (2 1/2 ft and more) field grass for over 4 yrs now with absolutely no trouble at all. And remember, not only is the Lightning pulling the trial mower thru tall grass, it is also having to pull itself thru the tall grass.

A small trailer wouldn't amount to much, especially if pulled on a hard surface.
__________________
Shut 'er down Buford....she's slangin' oil !!!!
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 07-10-2013, 03:35 AM
dhardin53 dhardin53 is offline
LawnSite Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Lincoln, Il
Posts: 707
To answer your question depends on what you are careering on the trailer and the amount of time and distance your traveling. Basically yes you can tow with most walk behinds. It is suited to pull a operator on a silky in most all cases. So a small trailer on flat hard surface should be no problems. I would limit what your loading on the trailer and give it a try, you should feel right off if the drive wheels are slipping/spinning or struggling to pull or carrie the load your are asking it to move.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump





Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.6
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ©1998 - 2012, LawnSite.comô - Moose River Media
All times are GMT -4. The time now is 02:16 AM.

Page generated in 0.08362 seconds with 9 queries