Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 06-24-2013, 07:38 PM
LawnSite Member

Residential Bollard / Driveway

Hi All,

Hope you're surviving the heat... here in RI we were nearly 90 today and 92 is predicted for tomorrow...

I'm on a project that has 20 year old Hadco round dome top 110 volt bollards along one side of a kind of steep, curvy driveway.

I want to replace with something more up to date and less commercial looking. Issue is that as you drive up, most lights will be in your eyes.

Client doesn't want the semi ingrounds that have the little windows because he's worried about them being covered with snow. I tried to say that for the few times that might happen, it's worth it for the rest of the year to not see big tall lights coming out of the ground.

I also am thinking of the NL from FXL mounted on a decorative post of some sort... or .. BK step star, or bollard star and put them on alternating sides so that you're not driving up into the light...

anyone have any ideas? House is somewhat contemporary looking.

THanks

George
Old 06-25-2013, 01:41 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

George , look at the bollards from Auroralight, they are some of the best I have ever seen.

www.integralighting.com

www.facebook.com/INTEGRA.Lighting

Affiliations: IESNA, IALD, IDA, AOLP, LO, MBA
Old 07-01-2013, 01:58 PM
LawnSite Member

Is the client using the driveway without headlights?

The solution in the winter is reflectors. Why not make that the summer solution as well?

Something like this (also see they make some short ones - about 12")

http://www.hyviz.com/hyvis/drive.htm#swirl

Just to make clear: I have no connection to this company, other than purchasing some driveway reflectors from them with which I've been happy. I provided the link just for illustration.
Old 07-01-2013, 09:12 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Oh that was good.. Thanks for the chuckle. Not sure that reflectors are the way to go here and certainly not what a pro lighting designer is going to specify. Maybe suggest this on the plowsite forum, or the garden ornaments forum?

www.integralighting.com

www.facebook.com/INTEGRA.Lighting

Affiliations: IESNA, IALD, IDA, AOLP, LO, MBA
Old 07-01-2013, 09:48 PM
LawnSite Member

It's not that they are going up the driveway without headlights.. its merely to sever as a marker for guests or anyone unfamilliar with the curvieness of the driveway....

they will serve as a marker to guide people who have to back out of the driveway... as well..

and to reiterate James' comment... thanks for the tip but we wouldn't specify reflectors...
Old 07-08-2013, 11:31 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LLC RI View Post
It's not that they are going up the driveway without headlights.. its merely to sever as a marker for guests or anyone unfamilliar with the curvieness of the driveway....

they will serve as a marker to guide people who have to back out of the driveway... as well..

and to reiterate James' comment... thanks for the tip but we wouldn't specify reflectors...
Yeah, I get all that, including that a lighting guy isn't likely to suggest a non-self-illuminated product. That said, I'm personally not wild about lighting up swaths of pavement unnecessarily.
Old 07-09-2013, 05:09 PM
LawnSite Member

We are not 'crazy' about lighting up swaths of pavement either.. but alas,,, sometimes we must do what our clients want. For 20 years, they've had these towering bollards alongside their driveway... it was my job to sway them away from that and instead, install something more discreet, less commercial looking and cleaner. The final solution we came up with together - me and my clients - is to use the small in ground drive over style marker light/beacon, but install it in a 4 inch hole that I'll core into a 12" x 12" piece of blue stone. This way, the light can sit a little higher than the grass line, can be protected from lawnmowers and weed whackers, and will put out enough glare free light to aid those unfamiliar with the driveway... to back out.
Old 07-10-2013, 08:59 AM
LawnSite Member

Maybe the client needs to hire one of these guys for his guests.