Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 07-10-2013, 11:26 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by camobrute View Post
Don't do that if you don't have any intention of purchasing, that's just bad business. (unless you have a really sucky dealer in the area!) That would be like someone asking you to cut their yard for a month without pay to see how you would do, knowing they were never gonna hire you.

Like others have said above, going to have to cut it multiple times and not cut your final cut as low as you usually do.
My point being is that the guy could then demo a couple of different commercial mowers and see which one he likes and potentially make a move on one he does.

It's like test driving a car, are you supposed to buy it after driving it around?

2005- Completion of University of Illinois Master Gardner's Program.
Old 07-10-2013, 11:56 AM
LawnSite Member

Thanks for your idea's. I will attempt to sell folks on weekly cuts. I think i have established a pretty good relationship with all of my customers, but they all live in lower middle class neighborhoods I dont know that many of them are willing to put more money into their yards.

I have been thinking about upgrading my mower but its just such a large investment. I dont know enough about the mechanical aspect of a mower to really feel comforable buying a used one and I know im not dropping the money on a new one. Not commercial quality anyway.

So I guess I will just continue to sharpen blades and double cut for a while.

Thanks guys
Old 07-10-2013, 09:51 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShorterGrass View Post
Hey,

I live in south central Alabama. It has rained almost constantly for over two weeks. All of my accounts are done bi-weekly and the grass is getting close to 18 inches in two weeks. I have a craftsman yts3000, with 22hp and it will not cut this grass. I am having to spend almost twice as much time on them than I was at the beginning of the season. I sharpened the blades, Ive tried new blades, Ive cut low, Ive cut high. The only way I can cut it is to crawl over it, or go over it twice.

Any ideas on how to speed things back up?
First problem is doing EOW on lawns that grow 18" .

I learned my lesson the first year I started up. Old lady wanted EOW. I told her it looks as if her would grow and if it did she would have to go EW.

Well her lawn grew as if was in steriods and she refused to go EW. First and last customer that I would double cut because her lawn would not look good with clippings all over the place. Also learned that EOW is to be charge 50% more then the weekly price due to the extra load on the equipment and longer time spent trimming and edging.

You pay for EOW when the grass grows too much, you get to see clippings on the lawn.
Old 07-10-2013, 11:25 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 32vld View Post
First problem is doing EOW on lawns that grow 18" .

I learned my lesson the first year I started up. Old lady wanted EOW. I told her it looks as if her would grow and if it did she would have to go EW.

This is my first year, and I have made tons of mistakes. Every account is biweekly. I don't charge nearly enough and Im killing myself for not nearly enough money. I decided to start a lawn business the day I heard that I was getting furloughed. Don't get me wrong, Im making more than enough money to cover my loss from the furlough and for that I feel very blessed but next year I will correct my mistakes.
Old 07-10-2013, 11:52 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Yeah, I would definitely like to highly encourage you to look into getting a nice maybe used Commercial Walk behind around the 48" deck width.
Old 07-11-2013, 12:06 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

I'm in west Central Ga. The deck is higher on all Bermuda lawns this week than last week, some higher than I prefer to manage at---zoysia and centipede are ok and retain green much lower than bermuda in times like this. We are having to double cut most, then blow wet clumps upon completion--already surpassed last year's rain fall total south of Atlanta by the end of June. My weekly accounts are mostly aged to 10 days or so, and still double cutting them. Start high, then lower on second pass with sharp blades is my technique. I use much kits on mowers and high lift blades this time of year. Don't do many every 2 weeks, but it sucks everywhere across zone 6-7. It sucks takes 1.5 times as long to mow after my weekly accounts aged over 10 days.--I'm sure several irrigation systems are still running because they won't listen to me and add a sensor. Not to mention every one is due for pruning this week. The idiots are starting to call and ask why we weren't there on Friday. HAHA! Yeah, I'll go variegate and leave tracks in your lawn if you want! We like to refer to a **** job as 'variegating the lawn'.

25 years old 7 years in business ownership
Old 07-11-2013, 12:08 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Took my business 4 years to make profit. Good luck.

25 years old 7 years in business ownership
Old 07-11-2013, 07:36 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShorterGrass View Post
Thanks for your idea's. I will attempt to sell folks on weekly cuts. I think i have established a pretty good relationship with all of my customers, but they all live in lower middle class neighborhoods I dont know that many of them are willing to put more money into their yards.

I have been thinking about upgrading my mower but its just such a large investment. I dont know enough about the mechanical aspect of a mower to really feel comfortable buying a used one and I know im not dropping the money on a new one. Not commercial quality anyway.

So I guess I will just continue to sharpen blades and double cut for a while.

Thanks guys
I hate to say it but you're destined to fail. You can't open a actual business using a old riding mower, then take on customers that don't have money. I'm going to ask even though I know the answer. Did you spend any time doing research and learn what it takes to open a business or did you think, hey, I can mow yards with my mower and make a living? You're traveling down a dead end street.

Just so you know, I spent almost 20k the first year in business just to open up. It was scary but as long as I stuck with the plan I shouldn't have many problems. Fast forward, everything was paid off in the first 3 years while still supporting a family. I'm glad I spent the time to learn the different aspects of the trade/industry that I didn't know about BEFORE I started. I still haven't spent any money on advertizing and I'm swamped with work.

Last edited by orangemower; 07-11-2013 at 07:42 AM.
Old 07-11-2013, 07:59 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

In spite of negative comments by orangemower to the contrary, plenty of guys have started in the mowing business using inferior equipment. Many do fail, but that has more to do with attitude and general business acumen than the actual equipment used. I was fortunate to be able to purchase new commercial equipment from the get-go, but many are not.

I think most here would agree that people new to the business tend to under price their services, and often have trouble saying "No". You will eventually learn that under some circumstances, no business is better than business that stresses you out.

I do bi-weekly mows, in fact quite a few of them, but in general they are not luscious, fast growing turf. When it gets dry, they are great, because it has to get really bad before I have to skip service. I have had a couple of places that wanted to go to bi-weekly where it was just not practical, even with commercial equipment. I normally bid properties "weekly, or as needed". Try and convince your customers to go to a shorter interval between mowing with the understanding that as growth slows down in the heat of summer, you will go to a longer cycle. Good luck.
Old 07-11-2013, 08:11 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MOturkey View Post
In spite of negative comments by orangemower to the contrary, plenty of guys have started in the mowing business using inferior equipment. Many do fail, but that has more to do with attitude and general business acumen than the actual equipment used. I was fortunate to be able to purchase new commercial equipment from the get-go, but many are not.

I think most here would agree that people new to the business tend to under price their services, and often have trouble saying "No". You will eventually learn that under some circumstances, no business is better than business that stresses you out.

I do bi-weekly mows, in fact quite a few of them, but in general they are not luscious, fast growing turf. When it gets dry, they are great, because it has to get really bad before I have to skip service. I have had a couple of places that wanted to go to bi-weekly where it was just not practical, even with commercial equipment. I normally bid properties "weekly, or as needed". Try and convince your customers to go to a shorter interval between mowing with the understanding that as growth slows down in the heat of summer, you will go to a longer cycle. Good luck.
How did I know that was coming? I might be off a little as for the equipment. Yes, homeowner stuff can get you through the first couple seasons if you're lucky.
Leaping in head first isn't the best thing to do and expect to talk about if you don't know what you're leaping into.