Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 07-10-2013, 10:11 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Weeding... DUN DUN DUN

Idk if its all this rain this year but the weeds are out of control. The beds look like **** with grass growing through and weeds springing up. Idk why there is so much grass in the beds because i blow out the beds after weed eating and i bag with the Z. One of the mistakes i made this year is that i included weeding with a couple of the contracts i have (never make this mistake!). It was a shot from the hip type of guestimate with the price to which really kills me. So are you guys also experiencing more than normal weed and grass growth in unwanted areas e.i. beds/walkways/ect? How do you price out weeding jobs ? I know right now that i will not be getting what i should be getting with the amount of time it is going to take to weed. BTW its not the easy weeding where there real big and spaced out and easy to pluck ooooooh no! its the small weeds as well as big viney weeds that are inbetween/underneath the thorn bushes and tight spots up against the house. This really stinks. Please incite me! Any easy to use weedbegone/weedkiller that is safe to plants/shrubs/pets ?
Old 07-10-2013, 10:23 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

Moar powerfull weed eeta!
Old 07-10-2013, 12:26 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

SNAPSHOT, it does wonders.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 07-10-2013, 09:28 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CLARK LAWN View Post
SNAPSHOT, it does wonders.
Posted via Mobile Device
its like magic pretty much
Stihl and Echo handhelds
Commercial Applicator Certified in 3A and 3B
Old 07-11-2013, 12:17 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

Yah da biggar Weed Eeta Harharhar
Old 07-11-2013, 06:07 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

I am also seeing explosive weed growth where it shouldn't be. I think your bigger question is "Why are they there?"

Weed seeds can come from many sources. Oftentimes the seeds were already in the soil and germinated when conditions were ripe. Some seeds can remain in dormancy for decades. Some seeds are very light and can be blown in by the wind. If the lawn was overseeded with a non certified weed seed free grass mix then you can get weed seeds from the seed mix. Believe it or not, bird droppings are responsible for a whole lot of seeds.

Have you ever wondered how fish get to some extremely unlikely places such as drainage ditches (we have minnows in the slight ditch at my house) and mountain lakes? Bird droppings.

Old 07-11-2013, 07:51 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Weeds in beds should be a separate priced service from regular mowing. It will take a combination of cultural & chemical maintenance practices to control weeds. Both of these require someone with the proper knowledge and licensing. No offense but you don't have either of these so you should probably let someone who does handle this.
Old 07-11-2013, 07:54 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RonWin View Post
Idk if its all this rain this year but the weeds are out of control. The beds look like **** with grass growing through and weeds springing up. Idk why there is so much grass in the beds because i blow out the beds after weed eating and i bag with the Z. One of the mistakes i made this year is that i included weeding with a couple of the contracts i have (never make this mistake!). It was a shot from the hip type of guestimate with the price to which really kills me. So are you guys also experiencing more than normal weed and grass growth in unwanted areas e.i. beds/walkways/ect? How do you price out weeding jobs ? I know right now that i will not be getting what i should be getting with the amount of time it is going to take to weed. BTW its not the easy weeding where there real big and spaced out and easy to pluck ooooooh no! its the small weeds as well as big viney weeds that are inbetween/underneath the thorn bushes and tight spots up against the house. This really stinks. Please incite me! Any easy to use weedbegone/weedkiller that is safe to plants/shrubs/pets ?
I think you're seeing an exponential amount of weeds because you were not dealing with them before. I tell ALL my customers early in the spring that weeds are coming, the beds should be treated. The ones that treat the beds have few weeds. The others, well, they either pay me to clean the beds up or do it their self. Most of my customers have me clean and mulch the beds each season. I let them know that once I have it cleaned and finish, I'll keep it that way. It takes a NY minute to pluck the few that are there. Same the following week.

Sounds like you let them get out of hand. It will look like crap if you just spray and leave it. Best go through and pluck as much as possible then spray/treat.
Old 07-11-2013, 10:01 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RonWin View Post
Fusillade will get rid grassy weeds and grass in beds without harming the shrubs.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 07-11-2013, 05:25 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

it's the rain. it's like it makes the weeds sprout up overnight. usually sprayed beds will last a month or two before you have to do it again this time of year when it's dry. due to all the rain it's like you have to spray it every 2 weeks almost. i dunno if weed seeds are in the rain or just in the ground and the water makes them grow or what. more rain equals more weeds i do know that for sure and requires more treatment to keep them away.